GL1800Riders Forums banner

Which long distance trip should I take this summer?

• Glacier/Banff Parks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Olympic Peninsula/Columbia River Gorge/Crater Lake/Redwoods

• Gettysburg/Cooperstown/Niagra Falls

• WingDing/Yellowstone/Idaho

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you wanted to do two long distance trips this year, each being 3000 miles or more, round trip, where would you go?

I've been to Yellowstone (lower loop only), Rocky Mtn National Park (just to the summit, not the whole park), the Ozarks briefly, Yosemite and Mt. Rushmore. Pick a destination and I'll let you know at the end of the summer, I hopefully will have both in the books, complete with pictures and the story.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
What the heck, if you have the time, I recommend you do the big loop through Yellowstone, Billings, Glacier, Banff, Jasper and then over to western BC and the Pacific coast. From western WA, there are many good options for the return ride to AZ.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
similar plans ...

Here is what our goal is ...
ride through most of the National Parks out west
leaving early to mid June

Summer 2007

Dennis & Vanessa

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Hey BigChief,

If you do Glacier/Banff be sure to do the Going to the Sun Hwy and the BC interior. I did that run last year in September and it was great. I enjoyed the road up Kootney Lake, north of Creston, BC so much, I'm going to ride out from Vancouver this summer to do it again.

Enjoy and watch out for deer.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
This may sound odd but I try to do "theme" LD rides. This year it is native-American and will cover about 5000 miles over two weeks.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The last two years I have visited the places you have listed all except Gettysburg. I am seriously thinking about shipping my bike to Cincinnatti and hooking up with my uncle that rides a ST1300 Honda. We have ridden together the last two years and have visited some pretty amazeing places together. If you are into history, The Little Big Horn (Custers last Stand) in Montana is a neat place to visit. That area there is truly beautiful and now know why they call Montana the Big Sky Country.

07 - Titanium

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
From Arizona -- Columbia Icefield Parkway, BC

From Calgary -- Zion National Park.

From Florida - - Colorado

From Oregon -- Maritime Provinces.

From the USA --Tierra del Fuego

ain't the destination - its the trip

·
Registered
598 Posts
While Gettysburg is a worthwhile visit, especially if you have an interest in Civil War history, and Niagara is quite a spectacular sight (never stopped in at Cooperstown - yet), you can't imagine, even if you've seen dozens of photos, what the Canadian Rockies along the Icefields Parkway up to Jasper look like until you've been there.
And fantastic mountain scenery in both directions - east and west - on the Trans-Canada 1 out of Lake Louise. It would take you a month to sort through all the photos you could take on a trip through there.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been watching the poll results closely. Glacier is high on my list, as it on yours. Amazing to see the 3rd and 4th choices picking up steam. The vote is still on....I am in the midst of exploring hotel reservations near the hot spots....Glacier is definitely the first stop. We would include an upper loop run inside Yellowstone on the way.

Questions abound - I will search this site and others for answers. Looked at the National Park Service and it says they start plowing Going to the Sun highway in April and it opens in May. If I arrived around June 1, is that too early?

With my summer schedule, it appears that a 2 week trip on 3 wheels has to start Memorial Day weekend. Last year, we did that, stopping in Rocky Mtn National Park, outside of Denver, allowed us access to the summit, although it was 39 degrees and there was snow along the road. I realize that you never know what you are going to get when you take these trips, but any advice about Glacier would be helpful.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Been a big snowpack this year. Glacier will have snow alongside the road, and that 39 degrees wont be far off. Wear your mittens.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts