GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been struggling with how to stay hydrated on long trips in the summer. I have taken to heart the issues of wearing LDComfort shirt and shorts and covering up more when the temperature rises above 94. But staying hydrated has been the problem. Bottles of water go too quickly and I don't like wearing a Camelbak. I want cold water. So this is what I came up with.

Kuryakyn Cooler Bag
Platypus 4 Liter Water Tank
Platypus Drink Tube Kit with an extension and right angle bite valve.
Platypus Drink Tube Insulator
Retractable Gear Keeper

I fill the Water Tank and cover it in ice in the Cooler Bag. The drink tube comes out the end and is insulated from the heat with the tube insulator. The gear keeper allows me to stretch the drink tube to my mouth and then let it retract which keeps it near my left hand. The Cooler Bag sits on the back seat. The water stays cold all day. I also keep one of those water expanding neck wraps in the cooler to use when things get a little too warm.

Here are some pictures if anyone is interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I just sip gatorade from my Butler cup and add ice whenever I can. If its really hot, over 100, I stop every 2-3 hours or so. I have found that I can go further and feel better drinking gatorade than water.

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
:thumbup:You might think about stopping every 2 hours -stretch have a drink of water.Don't cost nothing

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
That is a cool setup and :congrats:eek:n such an inventive setup. For myself, I find my 32 oz (?) Butler cup has plenty of capacity to keep me sippin' till the next stop, every hour or two in hot weather.

coming back from an event last year in 100+ deg heat, my wife and I both had cloths soaked in cold water around our necks while riding, and drinks in our cups (she was on her own bike) and we stopped often to stretch in the shade and get an ice cream or something else fun. I had my Bushtec with cooler with lots of ice and cold water in bottles. Soak the cloths in ice water and put around our necks again!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Had an Iron Butt Rally caliber rider tell me once that when riding in 90+F, arid conditions (SW USA, for example), best to be taking a sip of water every 5 minutes or so. Staying well hydrated is more key than most of us realize.

A lot of folks think Gatorade and similar drinks are a hoax. Maybe for them but it works really well for me, mixed 50% with water -- straight Gatorade can cause an upset stomach over time.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
:agree:
That is a cool setup and :congrats:eek:n such an inventive setup. For myself, I find my 32 oz (?) Butler cup has plenty of capacity to keep me sippin' till the next stop, every hour or two in hot weather.

coming back from an event last year in 100+ deg heat, my wife and I both had cloths soaked in cold water around our necks while riding, and drinks in our cups (she was on her own bike) and we stopped often to stretch in the shade and get an ice cream or something else fun. I had my Bushtec with cooler with lots of ice and cold water in bottles. Soak the cloths in ice water and put around our necks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts