GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everyone suggest for a long lasting bulb? I'll take longevity over brightness since we only ride in darkness 20% of the time. Does anyone make LED bulbs?

Thanks in advance for your wise answers.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Philips X-treme Vision +130% Headlight Bulbs (Pack of 2) (H7 55W)

I work at Philips and can tell you, we make some of the best halogen and LED lighting solutions out there. Our quality control is top notch. The X-treme Visions get more light farther down the road. Very happy with the light output.

I swapped these out for a set of Pathfinder LEDs just because I wanted to be all LED.

Attachments

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
898 Posts
Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
441 Posts
Philips X-treme Vision +130% Headlight Bulbs (Pack of 2) (H7 55W)

View attachment 371186

I work at Philips and can tell you, we make some of the best halogen and LED lighting solutions out there. Our quality control is top notch. The X-treme Visions get more light farther down the road. Very happy with the light output.

I swapped these out for a set of Pathfinder LEDs just because I wanted to be all LED.

NOT asking for a definitive answer unless you happen to know for certain.................... is there any chance that such a bright/powerful bulb will harm the electrical system in any way especially in the long-run ?? Maybe even stain, so to speak, the headlight casing/lens or whatever it's called ??

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
FLAME ON!!! I still use the Sylvania SilverStar Ultra’s that are only supposed to last 90 hrs. The light output is so good , I just carry spares. And any Walmart has more. Also they last way longer than expected.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Mike::
Someone on this board, I think?, recommended this particular H7 bulb a few years ago and I started using them in, April 2018, So far I have changed one in April 2019 (a year) and that is about 20,000 mi . the other one is still in there. YMMV!!
This is the best I have seen so far with my wing. I ride my wing about 5 days a week (3 days RTE's). I get them from NAPA & usually they have to get them, but it is just next day. $7.50 ea Napa PN# 64210 L, ( made in Germany, Flosser, 12v 55w PX26d). So far of all I have tried these have lasted the longest . Super brights have way less hours of use. These are just standard bulbs and are fine for night driving which I do not do a lot of..

I have used Sylvania & Phillips and OEM, Omron all same results. Max use 5 to 6 mo. not even 10,000mi. I have used MANY since 2013 in my wing & have changed them for others.

3 KAW Voyager XII's & 400,000mi in 25 years and never changed a bulb go figger???

Ride Safe!!

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Philips website shows (or at least it used to) 5 or 6 different models of the H7 55W bulb.

Explanation on the site was that there is a trade-off between lumens output (brightness) and expected hours of life.

I didn't look today, but presumably they still offer multiple models of 55W H7, and still have the explanation of the trade-off.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mike::
Someone on this board, I think?, recommended this particular H7 bulb a few years ago and I started using them in, April 2018, So far I have changed one in April 2019 (a year) and that is about 20,000 mi . the other one is still in there. YMMV!!
This is the best I have seen so far with my wing. I ride my wing about 5 days a week (3 days RTE's). I get them from NAPA & usually they have to get them, but it is just next day. $7.50 ea Napa PN# 64210 L, ( made in Germany, Flosser, 12v 55w PX26d). So far of all I have tried these have lasted the longest . Super brights have way less hours of use. These are just standard bulbs and are fine for night driving which I do not do a lot of..

I have used Sylvania & Phillips and OEM, Omron all same results. Max use 5 to 6 mo. not even 10,000mi. I have used MANY since 2013 in my wing & have changed them for others.

3 KAW Voyager XII's & 400,000mi in 25 years and never changed a bulb go figger???

Ride Safe!!
Doug, always good to hear from you. Come to think about it we never changed a bulb in our Voyager either. Maybe the current was more consistent. I would have to look at my logbook (too lazy to go to the garage now) but it seems that I can't get two years out of a given bulb. Sometime I think having one bulb in a big lens is better; you can go to high beam and then lower the beam but with a Goldwing everyone knows you have a bulb out.

Also thanks to all that replied. I guess I will take the burnt bulb out and walk to either the Auto Zone of Advance Auto Parts that are both in walking distance of our house (and ironically located next to each other). It appears that going LED would require extra wiring and associated complication. I guess I might as well embrace frequent changes.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Doug, always good to hear from you. Come to think about it we never changed a bulb in our Voyager either. Maybe the current was more consistent. I would have to look at my logbook (too lazy to go to the garage now) but it seems that I can't get two years out of a given bulb. Sometime I think having one bulb in a big lens is better; you can go to high beam and then lower the beam but with a Goldwing everyone knows you have a bulb out.

Also thanks to all that replied. I guess I will take the burnt bulb out and walk to either the Auto Zone of Advance Auto Parts that are both in walking distance of our house (and ironically located next to each other). It appears that going LED would require extra wiring and associated complication. I guess I might as well embrace frequent changes.
Actually, the EC LEDS don't require any wiring mods...they have a external load unit, but it plugs right in line..all adapters and such provided. All original wiring is left intact.....I'm "pushing" this solution since your original post specified LONG LIFE as chief criteria, and LED is the best for that hands down.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
The only long lasting is something without filaments. HID's do not have filaments and I have gotten 10 times the life with them over any filament bulb. I have tried every H7 possible in the price range of $15 per bulb up to $60 per bulb (so called long life) and never got more than 6 months of use before the filament was toast. I have been happy with my HID's and I like the better than the LED H7 replacements that you cannot aim properly within the reflectors designed for H7's.

·
Registered
639 Posts
NOT asking for a definitive answer unless you happen to know for certain.................... is there any chance that such a bright/powerful bulb will harm the electrical system in any way especially in the long-run ?? Maybe even stain, so to speak, the headlight casing/lens or whatever it's called ??
They ran fine in my system but I have offloaded current off of the circuit with a an EC power plate which is relayed. Then moved to the Pathfinder LED headlight conversion system.

·
Vendor
16,590 Posts
Original Honda bulbs last 50,000 miles. Not too bad in my opinion.
If someone were to ask when to change them as PM, I've always said at 45k. However, I change original OEM low beams on 5th gens all the time with mileage well above 70k.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts