GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone advise how I can get the turn signals to stay on longer? My Yamaha Venture's signals stayed on for for an adequate of amount of time before self cancelling (based on speed and distance). My '02 Wing's signals cancel way too quickly, making me have to reactivate them two or three times depending on my speed.
I remeber hearing something about changing the jumpers on the signal unit to increase the time the signals flash. Help!!!! :roll:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with johnmacy that the turn signals go off way too soon.

Is there someone out there who knows how to fix this problem?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yes the solution is just tap the button again if the indicator cancels too soon its as simple as that. :wink: [/b]

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had mine fixed once to stay on till I cancelled it manually. I keep forgetting to turn it off. My buddies asked me to fix it back the other way.--Larry

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Livy said:
I had mine fixed once to stay on till I cancelled it manually. I keep forgetting to turn it off. My buddies asked me to fix it back the other way.--Larry
That's scary... :shock: could easily result in a car unexpectedly pulling out in front of you! Red's solution, which is the one I use, is the best at this time... until Honda comes out with a ECM type solution.

G

·
I've thought it would be nice to have a feature where the autocancel delay was controlled by how many times you hit the switch.
Click once = normal autocancel.
Click twice = long autocancel.
Click three times = no autocancel.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I know it isn't a fix, but I have just gotten in the habit of hitting it twice, right before it goes off again. Now I do it without thinking about it.

·
Registered
21,093 Posts
I agre with the others on this issue, yes the turn signals do auto cancel fairly early but as long as the driver is aware of this it is very very easy to just use the left thumb to reactivate them again if needed. :yw1:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Turn signal cancelling

Was hoping one of you electronic guru's had come up with a gaget that would change the timing of the cancel without having to remember to keep hitting the switch. :yw1:

·
Registered
33 Posts
This was one of my first complaints when I bought the bike.

I had people blowing horns at me a few times before I realized what was happening.

I also click twice (at least) now, but it's still a pain. Especially if you're going left and you have thick gloves on (it's not the easiest blinker button to activate).

Too bad its not like the Cruise control and adjustable.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
the problem are people who turn on their turn signal and then drive past 2 or 3 turnoffs before they actually turn. I think the turn signal is about right, we have to become better at judging distances, me included. and only turn on the signal within the time period. If I remember, the signal will turn off after 7 seconds or 200 feet. which is less then a city block. could be wrong on the distance.

Dan L

·
Registered
287 Posts
Im so pleased that most of ye yanks agree with my solution to a very simple problem. for the guy who forgets that his indicator is on or off, thare is a display on the dash telling you, all you have to do is, look at it. The indicators work perfectly.

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
I would pay money if someone came up with something to keep it on longer, plug & play would be nice. It won't stay on long enough to get to the end of a turn lane.

I've said it before, since when did the Japanese get so stupid when it comes to electronics? Turn signals that cancel too quick, AVC that might as well not be on the bike ( can you say USELESS), CB that won't work with the factory radio, singing radio without enough power for anything above 60mph, and a CD changer that is very iffy!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Turn Signal Duration

I complained to my dealer in 2001 when I had only about 1K miles on the bike that my turn signals blinked four or five rapid blinks, then quit. I thought it was a safety issue and told them so. They replaced the switch in the speedometer/tachometer housing. In fact, I think they replaced the entire circuit board. It now blinks at a normal rate for 11 or 12 times before I have to hit the button again. Great improvement!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Danl said:
the problem are people who turn on their turn signal and then drive past 2 or 3 turnoffs before they actually turn. I think the turn signal is about right, we have to become better at judging distances, me included. and only turn on the signal within the time period.
Dan L
I disagree.

On a bike, I like to make sure the person behind me knows I'm turning. I notice that a lot of cagers ... especially those that follow a little close... don't back off until at least 5 seconds go by with the blinker on.

When no traffic in front of me, I just accelerate and create some gap before turning on the signal. But when you're in a line of cars, you have no choice. I've resorted to using hand signals also... anything to get the knucklehead behind me to realize I'm about to slow down!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
35racer

Following someone with their blinker on and they pass one or two possible turns off, I begin to think they have no intention of turning. If someone is not playing attention, no amount of signaling will get their attention. I think the brake modulators work better for getting attention then a turn signal. JMHO

Dan L

·
Registered
12 Posts
Turn Signals

In my first reply to the original post in this thread, I mentioned that I had my signal cancelling switch replaced because it was actually faulty. I do like the auto-cancel feature, but I'm sure that others out there have the same problem I did. Some of the GL1800 turn signals will cancel much quicker than Honda intended. These will be repaired under warranty.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Re: Turn Signals

Road Captain said:
In my first reply to the original post in this thread, I mentioned that I had my signal cancelling switch replaced because it was actually faulty. I do like the auto-cancel feature, but I'm sure that others out there have the same problem I did. Some of the GL1800 turn signals will cancel much quicker than Honda intended. These will be repaired under warranty.
Er, guys not to put too fine a point on this but perhaps a quick read of the manual might shed some light.

If you push the switch ALL THE WAY OVER it is intended for a lane change manouver and will flash for 7 SECONDS and auto cancel.

If you DO NOT push the switch ALL the way over, it will stay on until you complete the turn.

RTFM!! <vbg>

·
Registered
596 Posts
35racer said:
I disagree.

On a bike, I like to make sure the person behind me knows I'm turning. I notice that a lot of cagers ... especially those that follow a little close... don't back off until at least 5 seconds go by with the blinker on.

When no traffic in front of me, I just accelerate and create some gap before turning on the signal. But when you're in a line of cars, you have no choice. I've resorted to using hand signals also... anything to get the knucklehead behind me to realize I'm about to slow down!
I've had people assume I'm turning into a shopping center or store and pull right out in front of me when I was signalling for a turn 50 yards away. However, having been hit from the rear once, I'm very aware of traffic behind me. I'll usually start slowing early and tap my brake repeatedly until I sense the car behind me is slowing with me.

I also ride a bike without self-cancelling turn signals, so I manually cancel the Honda anyway just to reinforce the habit. Like others here, if I want them to flash longer than they want to, I just nudge the button again.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts