GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for curiosity and fun....I’m wondering who has travelled the farthest to purchase a Wing.
I’d like to start with a fly and ride my SO and I did in 2010 to buy a Yellow 2009 Air Bag model that was equipped with the full Monty Traxxion upgrade and Windbender shield as well as RDL saddle among other upgrades.
We flew out of Detroit to Lubbock Texas and rode it 1491 miles to our home in Sarnia Ontario Canada.
The trip which was in early June, took us 4 days and the coolest of the 4 days was 97* which was in Michigan.
Although my SO struggled with the heat....it was a blast!
Do you have a good (or bad) story about a trip to buy a Wing!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm from Utah and purchased my very first 2005 Goldwing with a trailer in Tampa, FL in January. Rather than ride it home in the winter, the seller held it for me until May. I retired at the end of April, got on a plane from Salt Lake City to Tampa the next day, and then spent three weeks wandering back home to Utah. I think the total mileage was about 3,000-3,500 but it certainly wasn't the quickest way home. It was a great retirement adventure including thunderstorms, heat, love bugs, flooding by the Missouri River, snow coming over the Rocky Mountains, and more thunderstorms. What an initiation into motorcycle riding! The Goldwing handled all much better than I did.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Can't compare to the others, but I flew to Oklahoma City from southwest Ohio to purchase my trike with trailer. It was November, so the weather was in the 40s at it's best. Took a day and a half to cover 900 miles. It was my first experience on a trike. Quite the way to learn...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
851 Posts
My very first wing-caught a ride from one of my friends, drove about 10 miles, picked up the bike and rode home. Second wing, drove 400 miles to Seattle, picked up the bike, rode home. Third wing, drove over to Gig Harbor, picked up the wing, rode home. Pretty boring huh?

·
Registered
3,371 Posts

Here’s my story...

Straight line would have been about 1400 miles... 2680 was the final tally after Hwy 101, Lake Tahoe, Phoenix, Million Dollar Hwy., Poudre, Thompson, Golden gate and Boulder Canyons, Trail Ridge, Mt Evans, Pikes Peak and Peak to Peak Hwy. and home...

It was a hoot...

:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Argh . . . just a lightweight here. Negotiated the transaction by email (new bike). Then flew from Long Beach, CA to Phoenix, AZ. A short taxi ride to the dealer. Picked the bike up and rode it home. 378 miles total. Left after breakfast and was home in time for dinner. An uneventful and thus an entirely acceptable day!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Helluva trip there Revrunt, have done and continue to do all those and each one is spectacular in it's own way.

Here’s my story...

Straight line would have been about 1400 miles... 2680 was the final tally after Hwy 101, Lake Tahoe, Phoenix, Million Dollar Hwy., Poudre, Thompson, Golden gate and Boulder Canyons, Trail Ridge, Mt Evans, Pikes Peak and Peak to Peak Hwy. and home...

It was a hoot...

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I flew from Jacksonville FL. to Minneapolis to buy the 20012 in my avatar a few years back and rode straight back...... It had a mega monte Traxxion package already installed which made it worth the trip.

Reactions: Red Wing One

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just flew from NC to CO for my 2010 in May. Wife and I hit Utah, AZ and Route 66 to OKC, then some twisties in Arkansas to Chattanooga then mountains to central NC home. 9 days of fun and weather extremes. First time on a Wing and was a great learning experience! Love driving her to work, makes the commute fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Well, my 2006 was about 140 miles away. The new 2017 I'm getting today is 90 miles away. :)

·
Registered
653 Posts
Juneau Alaska to Canton Ohio
Juneau Alaska to Austin, Mn
Juneau Alaska to Des Plaines Illinois
These city's are where we got our three current Wings :)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Here’s my story...

It was a hoot...

:thumbup:
Wow....what a story......you got me beat all to heck......lol.....:clap2:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought my 06 GOLDwing on eBay in 07. My late wife and I flew from Phoenix to Chicago. Owner met us at the airport and drove us to his house. Bike had <10k miles. We rode home in more or less a straight line (I was still working). Wind was blowing so hard, I scraped a foot peg in the interstate! That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
I bought my 06 GOLDwing on eBay in 07. My late wife and I flew from Phoenix to Chicago. Owner met us at the airport and drove us to his house. Bike had <10k miles. We rode home in more or less a straight line (I was still working). Wind was blowing so hard, I scraped a foot peg in the interstate! That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.
Beautiful, beautiful color. :grin2:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts