GL1800Riders Forums banner

Longest Ride to Date

2K views 26 replies 25 participants last post by  wing-renter 
#1 ·
Today I rode my longest distance to date on the new bike, I have had it about 6 weeks now. Reminder that this is my first bike in over two decades. 260 miles total. In So Cal I drove from Anaheim Hills to Laguna Niguel and then to Julian in San Diego Co. (91 to the 241 to the 5 to the 78 and then back again.)

It was also the first time I have ridden two-up in about 30 years. AND it is the first time that I have had the Goldwing on twisties.

Everything went well and the bike performed flawlessly! It was a great day!

#2 ·
220 miles is kinda medium Sunday ride. Have done several 430 mile days.

Don't even realize how much riding I am doing until I have to stop for gas.

#4 ·
220 miles it great! Don't pay attention to those who try to diminish your accomplishment because they do more than that on a Sunday. Most folks who ride don't do that in a month!

It's not the miles. It's the smiles!

#7 ·
Yeap ... miles will melt away and today is another day. Who knows, maybe you will do another today and make it a 500 mile weekend:)

#9 ·
Gary I know the feeling.. I started riding again in 2007 after a 30+year lapse. Last August I bought my first wing. This summer I went on my longest ride ever, a 1200 mile trip with 2 friends (600 miles of it in one day). It was an absolute blast I loved every minute of it, and, I bragged about it on this forum also . As of this date I have 11, 350 miles on it. As someone said the more you ride it the more you will want to. West Virginia is just a nice ride away on the wing. You all stop by and have a coffee sometime (on the Wing of course).
Again, congrats, hope to hear more... :congrats::congrats::congrats:

#12 ·
220 miles it great! Don't pay attention to those who try to diminish your accomplishment because they do more than that on a Sunday. Most folks who ride don't do that in a month!
Exactly!!!

Glad you're back in the saddle again. :thumbup:

#14 ·
A 220 mile day is a good day, especially riding 2-up. And it's 220 more miles than I rode. :thumbup:

To those than try to negate his post because you've ridden further GROW UP. Stop being so jealous and childish. We realize you have a penis too. The man just started back riding on a new bike and was riding 2-up for the 1st time. Be proud for him and be glad he's back on a bike. The negativity in this forum is choking the life out of every post. Pretty soon nothing will be left but the Hotbox.

#15 ·
A 220 mile day is a good day, especially riding 2-up. And it's 220 more miles than I rode. :thumbup:

To those than try to negate his post because you've ridden further GROW UP. Stop being so jealous and childish. We realize you have a penis too. The man just started back riding on a new bike and was riding 2-up for the 1st time. Be proud for him and be glad he's back on a bike. The negativity in this forum is choking the life out of every post. Pretty soon nothing will be left but the Hotbox.
Yep, I'm sure someone will chime in and say they have ridden in reverse, more than that in one day.

ps. Glad you had a great ride Gary.

#16 ·
300 mile day and ;ovin it

OK, so I am not writting this to one up you. I just wanted to say that my first long ride on the wing was awesome also.

Bought the 2012 Wing on Wednesday. Did 120 miles Wed night to become one with the bike. My with calls it zen. I of course call it therapy.

Yeah there were some miles Wednesday through Saturday.

Then Sunday, the wife joined me for a ride to visit her uncle. Normally this ride is round trip 80 miles. We took the long way there... as we got close to home that night, we had 280 miles. MY wife asked for another 20 miles to bring it up to 300.

I traded in a 2003 ST1300 that had been to the east coast and back. Been out west as far as Utah. I am use to putting in 500 plus days. I even have a couple of 1000 saddle sores under me.

This is the first ride in a long time where I got off the bike after 300 miles so easily. The back, and the wrists are going to love this bike!
-----------------------------------------

We got stuck on a back road while they did a helecopter airlift for some cager that decided the ditch was a better place to ride. My prayers are for the man. Hope he makes it!

#19 ·
Glad to hear you were able to get out and enjoy some good roads and the wonderful weather. Best to be comfortable than to push and end up being over your head=NO FUN!. The road to Julian is nice, and hopefully you were able to stop and enjoy some pie while you were there. Ride your own ride, and do it on roads and at a speed you're comfortable with.

Glad you're enjoying your wing! Those miles are going to start adding up quickly!

#21 ·
That's a good days ride.
When I first got a Wing I counted the miles and tracked them extra and then I realized I could do a 500 mile day. Well, it also dawned on me that i could ride roads where the average speed limit would be 35 or, 45 mph and i was riding about 200 to 250 miles in a 12 hour day and I realized once again that it wasn't the miles that was important to me but the time I could spend on the bike. In other words, If I put 150 miles on the bike but I was out all day riding I had a good on the bike. It's all about the smiles.

#23 ·
Way to go. Not the distance that really matters. You had a safe, enjoyable ride and returned home in one piece ready to do it again.
Enjoy!
Totally Agree! Have have 50 mile trips that were as good as 200 mile ones. It's all about the wind in your face!

#24 ·
Congrats on the ride, especially 2 up. Out of curiosity, since it has been that long since you've been on a bike, did you do any motorcycle safety training classes before you got your wing. I was out about that same time frame and I took the classes and it really helped.
Now I bet the weekend can't come soon enough for ya.

#25 ·
Yes, I took the MSF class. Not only were / are my skills rusty but I also am a bit different physically then I was 30 years ago. The nimbleness and easy handling of the GW has helped a lot to acclimate me back to ridding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.