GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I rode my longest distance to date on the new bike. 260 miles total. In So Cal I drove from Anaheim Hills to Laguna Niguel and then to Julian in San Diego Co. (91 to the 241 to the 5 to the 78 and then back again.) It was also the first time I have ridden two-up in about 30 years. AND it is the first time that I have had the Goldwing on twisties Everything went well and the bike performed flawlessly! My goodness this is a GR8 bike! It was a good day!

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
260???

Heck most wingers do that just getting to lunch!!!
:shock:

You will be putting on miles faster than you think!!

The bike will do 1800 mile days without flinching so get out there and ride as long and as far as you are comfortable!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Working my way up, good-buddy, working my way up, at my own comfort level.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Welcome and glad your enjoying your bike.

Just remember its the (S)miles you get and not necessarily the miles you get.:coffee1:

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I love long distance riding, but once a week my buddy and I go on a RTE (ride to eat). We usually make it a 6 hour day with stops and BS along the way on the CB. We have done a couple of 300 mile rides on rural roads and thouroughly enjoy the countryside, but 150 to 200 miles is the norm.

You may want to get a Eutopia backrest soon. By far the best item I have added to my bike.

Gramps

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I'm in San Jacinto and take the ride to Julian a couple times a month. I usually go to Santa Ysabel for coffee and pie or a cookie. If I go the short way it's about 170 miles round trip, if I go the long way, by way of Salton Sea it's about 250 miles. Have fun, maybe I'll see you up there.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Slab riding to me sukz.unless I'm going to meet others to ride?.I like to get off the beaten path as soon as possible.

300 Smiles is a short spin.500 Smiles is a decent day ride if 90% is done in the twistys.

Saturday was a 462 ride.

Where you live you got no choices out your back door.you got to slab it for a bit to hit some decent roads.

Google maps "Flintridge Ca" and look for "S2" Angeles Crest Highway.A 69 mile two lane road cut through the mountains.Very nice indeed.:thumbup:

Check out 330 starting from Highland Ca up past Lake arrow head on 18 to Big Bear for lunch.Then down 38 to the 210 again.As a nice diversion take a left at the bottom of 38 at Bryant St.though Oak glen Road's apple orchards.To Beaumont ave to the 10.Very nice road and places to stop and eat in the area.

The 243 off the 10 in Banning is a real nice road to enjoy up to idyllwild for lunch,then you have the 74 out to Palm desert,Or down to Hemet and back to the 15 for a real nice loop.

We have way to many roads around San Diego county to enjoy,well to explore. :doorag:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Hey Gary, congrats on the ride and welcome. Did 1100+ while doing an Iron Butt with some friends from this board. It was a blast. Enjoy your ride and ride safe out that way.:thumbup:

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
Longest non stop for me was a B2B Certified 1800 miles one way. Don't know if I could or would want to repeat it

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
There are all kinds of riders, some look down at riding the Slab, some could care less about riding "motorcycle roads". Some like to putter along stopping at every interesting looking place, others, I'm one, had rather eat a pistol than ride that ride and only enjoy twisting the throttle while riding tank to tank. Many are somewhere in between. None are more of a rider than the other. Find what you enjoy. BTW,one of my favorite roads is I-10 and I-8, on it you can ride from one coast to the other year around, it's my kind of road. But then I kinda like US 191 as well, go figure. I have often said there are no boring roads, only boring riders.

·
Misinformed Member
2,272 Posts
Well said Bubba1! I never have figured out why some on here insist on putting others down because they don't choose to ride the same number of miles, the same bike, the same tires,....................fill in the blank.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
<...>Everything went well and the bike performed flawlessly! My goodness this is a GR8 bike! It was a good day!
You will learn that, quite suddenly, another tank of gas gets you another ~200 miles down the road - and there's still daylight to do so. :thumbup:

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

There's quite a west coast contingent close to you - contact Paul pshivers who can hook you up with more in your Wing riders in your vicinity.

Welcome to the insanity! :lol:

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
There are all kinds of riders, some look down at riding the Slab, some could care less about riding "motorcycle roads". Some like to putter along stopping at every interesting looking place, others, I'm one, had rather eat a pistol than ride that ride and only enjoy twisting the throttle while riding tank to tank. Many are somewhere in between. None are more of a rider than the other. Find what you enjoy. BTW,one of my favorite roads is I-10 and I-8, on it you can ride from one coast to the other year around, it's my kind of road. But then I kinda like US 191 as well, go figure. I have often said there are no boring roads, only boring riders.
Boy did I have you figured wrong Bubba. I thought that you only rode for mudbugs and hot links. :joke:

S

·
0 Posts
It's not how many miles you rack up but to me it's if I enjoy the miles I ride :thumbup:
So true, we had a couple locals who did a 10,000 mile coast to coast run in 10 days.
The saw nothing along the way and just rode fast and hard.

You hear people say they ride 900 miles a day all the time but it's more like 500. People tend to embellish.
On trips we go average 4-500 daily but in the mountains we may ride for 10 hours and put on 250 miles. We stop every 75-100 miles for coffee or Pee
Usually both as one leads to the other :coffee1:

Best advice I give is enjoy the ride and never travel with an agenda. We plan all our trips one day in advance - pick a location and go there.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Boy did I have you figured wrong Bubba. I thought that you only rode for mudbugs and hot links. :joke:
Too much truth in that....most of my rides are because I'm hungry, now if I could just figure a way to get the wing to go across the water. I have a hankering for some "fat tail sheep" and naan :).

·
Banned
1,912 Posts
You are gonna get the iron butt guys chiming in soon( 1000 miles in 24 hrs) or more
Might as well have blinders on I like my stops and 4-500 a day when on the road is plenty
Around town sometimes 25 does it
Enjoy your ride

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I did that the other day looking for cheaper gas :22yikes:

:congrats: Keep Riding!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
You are gonna get the iron butt guys chiming in soon( 1000 miles in 24 hrs) or more
Might as well have blinders on I like my stops and 4-500 a day when on the road is plenty
Around town sometimes 25 does it
Enjoy your ride
No matter how much we may ride in a day we still appreciate the folks that are getting back in the saddle and riding what they are comfortable with. I doubt that even the most hard-core LD riders started out by riding a BBG.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I would guess there a lot of us on the board that will do 700-1000 miles in a day and enjoy it. Me, I enjoy doing long distance or short, slab or back roads just depends on the day, what I want, or need to do that day. As long as I'm riding I am happy..................

Enjoy your ride! That's all that matters!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts