GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What has been the longest single trip you have taken on any motorcycle?
This includes any stops. Just head out on the road for days and then return. I know some of the Iron Butt guys may chime in.
A friend of mine and I are planning a US/Canada trip next summer that is pretty ambitious for our standards. So far we are up to 12,800 miles over 45 days. We plan to site see a lot along the way. The longest trip prior to this was 8000 miles in 25 days.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I did 10,800 miles in 13 days on a 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000. The trouble with long trips is tires. I could see tire wear every day. Start with zero mile tires, end with bald or plan getting a change on the road somewhere in your plans if you still use motorcycle rubber.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
My Alaska trip last year was 9,400 Miles in 25 days. Started out with new E 3 tires and rode them for another 6K miles after returning from the trip.

Fred

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
When I first retired I took a solo 38-days trip starting from New Jersey and rode for 11,107 miles. Left in mid July and returned in late August. I visited 14 magnificent National Parks. Each one was more diverse than the next. It rained on me the first day and then the last 2 days making this a memorable ride of a lifetime.

My wife was still working at the time, so she took some vacation and flew into Denver, where I picked her up and we spent 17 days together riding Colorado, Utah and Arizona. Unbelievable sights! She flew back out of Las Vegas and then I pointed the front tire west bound and didn't stop going in that direction until I hit the Pacific Ocean just south of San Francisco.

I replaced all the fluids on the Wing before my departure and knew before hand that I would need new tires along the way. I replaced 2 rear tires, 1 front and 2 trailer tires before the trip was over. At the time I was running m/c tires on the rear of my Wing and have since changed my mind on that application. I'm still waiting to crash and die in a fiery blaze as a consequence of my decision!

If you have the time and resources my suggestion is to go for it. You'll remember it for the rest of your life.

Funny thing is that I rode all those miles without a GPS, just a Road Atlas. Oh my Lord, what was I thinking? That's right, I even drank from a garden hose when I was younger! The only worry that I had each evening was where to stay for the night. Now my GPS eliminates those worries for me. Made no reservations in advance, except 2, as I wasn't sure where I'd wind up at the end of each day. The only reservation that were placed in advance was in Las Vegas and the North Rim Lodge of the Grand Canyon and I was able to plan accordingly to be there at those exact days.

Stayed in hotels/motels and never encountered a single problem other than worn tires. I stayed off of the Interstates for the most part as I believe that that is the best way to see the US.

Each night I would plan my next day's ride from my motel room. I was lucky that the Road Atlas marked scenic roads on their maps, and I tried to follow them without regrets, except the fact that I couldn't ride them all.

I was fully covered from the sun rays and drank over 4 cases of water that I bought along the way as my supply dwindled. Purchased a bag of ice every morning for the cooler to keep the water supply cool.

Met a lot of very nice people along the way and if we didn't have anchors embedded in the sand here, in the form of grandchildren, my now retired wife and I wouldn't hesitate to do it all over again.

Don't hesitate in making the decision to go. Go!

·
Registered
287 Posts
5000 miles over 2 weeks. Houston to Michigan, around Lake Superior, and back home. Not 1 issue (other than weather). It was a great trip. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
26 days, 14k miles from Nebraska to Alaska via Black Hills, Yellowstone, Glacier, Banff, back down the left coast all the way to Tiajuana, back through Grand Canyon, Moab, Colorado. Got home and rode front tire another 6k and the rear another 26k. trip of a lifetime. We were beat when we got home. Didn't ride again for about three weeks!

I highly recommend it! (The trip, not the hiatus!)

:thumbup:

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
In 2005 I did the Hyder Seek rally in Hyder Alaska then down to Lancaster Cali for the Street masters program then home.
Total abo 8600 miles 2 day layover in Hyder, then 2 days in lancaster for the program. 12 days

This past Sept. I attempted the USA corners ride long with a 50CC got about 9600 miles before I had to surrender and head home,,, ran out of time at 12 days and terminal diaper rash

Going to do the 4 corners ride this August with the 3 flags rally BUT allowing a full 16 days this time

·
Registered
924 Posts
9000 miles round trip give or take.....Around 3900 from Whitehorse to kitchener ontario - via - grand prairie - jasper - lake louise - penticton kalispell - blue mounds - chicago - flint - kitchener - 4.5 days.

then return via chicago - kansas city - denver - boise - seattle - vancouver - kamloops - 100 mile house - prince george - ft st john - ft nelson whitehorse...aroun 4200 miles or so give or take side trips - 6 days back due to weather.

Jer

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Since they closed the one real close to me, it's been 12 miles to a DQ. It was a great trip that I did a few times last year and hope to be able to make it again soon.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I've done several trips of 2-3 weeks, 2500-3500 miles, and I'll soon be leaving on a 30-day trip from Los Angeles to the east coast and back. We've made a few reservation for special places we want to stay (one in Virginia; another in Wisconsin). Otherwise, we've left everything open to decide day by day. The weather, the roads and the sights will influence our daily progress. This is how we usually tour, and find it works our real well. I can remember only one day when we had to ride a bit farther and later than we liked, in order to find acceptable lodging, and one day when we really had no choice (way too far from alternatives) but to stay in a really crummy place. Suggestion: Avoid staying overnight in Hanksville, Utah!:eek:4:

Just hang loose, and enjoy your adventure!

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
9,765 miles in 2010 9500 in 2013 took month both times - stopped n seen kids . great times ready to go again :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
My longest MC trip so far is a little over 9,000 over six weeks. In 2013 I made a round trip from NJ to WA and back. I stayed two weeks in WA touring around both WA and OR. I also did it in 2011 and plan to do it again in 2015. :thumbup:

·
Registered
235 Posts
2 trips of over 8,000 miles each

Seattle to Miami and back, over 8,000 miles in 3 weeks
Seattle to Alaska (all over!) and back, over 8,000 miles in 3 weeks.

I tend to take 3 week vacations each year and the wife and I camp along the way to somewhere and back.

My longest trip will be in 2 years when I retire. We plan to hit all 48 contiguous states, some of Canada and Alaska again. Should take us just over 2 years and lots of miles as we will be taking it slow and enjoying the trip.

Henry

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
9000 miles give or take.....Whitehorse to kitchener ontario - via - grand prairie - jasper - lake louise - penticton kalispell - blue mounds - chicago - flint - kitchener - 4.5 days.

then return via chicago - kansas city - denver - boise - seattle - vancouver - kamloops - 100 mile house - prince george - ft st john - ft nelson whitehorse...aroun 8973 miles or so give or take side trips - 6 days back due to weather.

Jer
Holy Crap 9000 miles in 4.5 days 2000 miles per day for 4.5 days straight Bowing to the JEDI master

Forget another gear on my wing I want his dilithium crystal chamber so I can go to WARP drive too

·
Registered
924 Posts
night rider that's round trip bud (I edited the post - sorry very tired) .....so 10.5 days or so total driving.....You have to travel 22 hours out of whitehorse just ot see more ppl ;)

jer

·
Registered
330 Posts
10,500 in 17 days

In 2009, three friends and I made a trip to Alaska from NC and WDC. We made it as far North as the Yukon River crossing on the Haul road and had to stop because of the road construction. They hauled 5 bikes off that road that day cuz riders tried to push through the slime. It was an unforgettable trip. The only reservations we made was on the ferry to Haines. The only thing I would like to have been different would be it the wife could have been there too.

PS that was miles on the bike. I did not count the miles on the ferry but those three days are included in the 17 day total if that makes a diff to anyone.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
5,500 miles in 9 days from DFW to Seattle and back, for "a cup of coffee" with 2WheelNut and Mr_Clean last spring.

TX->NM->CO->UT->ID->MT->WA->OR->CA->AZ->NM->TX

Finally got to "color" in the west coast side of my map. We missed NV by 18 miles... guess we are going to have to head back. ;)

Good times. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
On June 6th, my wife and I will be leaving for a 6500 mile, 16 states in 16 days trip.. see my post in the rides forum!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts