GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody.
My name is Luca (and I live on the 2nd floor... if you get the joke you are .. old enough :wink2: ). I live in Seattle, work on one of the techy companies here around and addicted to a fantastic martial art called Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ).
I'm Currently drive a Yamaha 1700 Warrior and looking for getting a GodlWing to pair with the Warrior (and to use that during rainy Seattle days as well as longer trips).

I've currently put my eyes on a GE 2008 model with ABS and Nav Pack. It has 37K miles and the dealer is asking around $9K.
I did test drive it yesterday and it was ... kind of ok. It has some minor issues like the mute button is flaky and so is the heated grips systems... all things that I would ask the dealer to fix if I'm going to buy it. One things that caught me off guard was that, when I put her on the highway, I heard kind of noisy sound from the front.. like plastic rantling because of the wind; sounded like something has been broken / detached and was flapping while driving. I didn't heard that after though even at higher speed and I didn't see anything visually that caught my guard. The steering wheel was also firm and not wobbling at all while driving at around 75 with cruise control on and no hands on the steer wheel.

Looking around, it seems that the price seems.. ok for the miles + years+ features combo. Ideally I would look for a 2012 model but there are not many of them here around closed to that miles and closed to that price (read: didn't find any).

Your wise and experienced opinion on the bike as well as other places to look for other bikes (including this Forum if it is a right option) are very welcomed.

Thanks in advance for all the help ... really looking to be part of the GoldWing family very soon!!:grin2:

·
Administrator
4,581 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Just my $.02 worth but don't buy the first one you look at. Compare it to another 1800 and see if you still hear that noisy sound in the front. You get used to one bike's sound, jump on another and get totally different sounds.
Our 'for sale' forum has good deals regularly on used bikes.
Again, welcome!

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
Hello everybody.
My name is Luca (and I live on the 2nd floor... if you get the joke you are .. old enough :wink2: ). I live in Seattle, work on one of the techy companies here around and addicted to a fantastic martial art called Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ).
I'm Currently drive a Yamaha 1700 Warrior and looking for getting a GodlWing to pair with the Warrior (and to use that during rainy Seattle days as well as longer trips).

I've currently put my eyes on a GE 2008 model with ABS and Nav Pack. It has 37K miles and the dealer is asking around $9K.
I did test drive it yesterday and it was ... kind of ok. It has some minor issues like the mute button is flaky and so is the heated grips systems... all things that I would ask the dealer to fix if I'm going to buy it. One things that caught me off guard was that, when I put her on the highway, I heard kind of noisy sound from the front.. like plastic rantling because of the wind; sounded like something has been broken / detached and was flapping while driving. I didn't heard that after though even at higher speed and I didn't see anything visually that caught my guard. The steering wheel was also firm and not wobbling at all while driving at around 75 with cruise control on and no hands on the steer wheel.

Looking around, it seems that the price seems.. ok for the miles + years+ features combo. Ideally I would look for a 2012 model but there are not many of them here around closed to that miles and closed to that price (read: didn't find any).

Your wise and experienced opinion on the bike as well as other places to look for other bikes (including this Forum if it is a right option) are very welcomed.

Thanks in advance for all the help ... really looking to be part of the GoldWing family very soon!!:grin2:
Please explain the (I live on the second floor joke, to us younger guys/don't get it) before I kick your azz, :grin2::wink2:0:):kiss: opps I just read your martial arts post....Excuse me I was just kidding here.... LOL

Ronnie

·
Registered
470 Posts
Please explain the (I live on the second floor joke, to us younger guys/don't get it) before I kick your azz, :grin2::wink2:0:):kiss: opps I just read your martial arts post....Excuse me I was just kidding here.... LOL

Ronnie
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luka_(song)

As it was released in 1987 you're obviously WAY too old to have been keeping up with pop music in the late 80's :wink2:

Reactions: Luca Bandinelli

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the warm welcome Bullet Bob. My plan is to go back to the Dealer on Saturday and drive one of the new 2016 they have in stock (super nice bike... no ABS unfortunately :( ). if the feeling is similar / the same of the one I test drove last time I will check the used one more carefully and then either wait for something to show up or make an offer to that one.

thanks again!

·
Registered
529 Posts
P.S. Once you decide you like a bike I would not hesitate to make a lower offer. The used Goldwing market is very soft right now.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Schoeney, thanks a lot. Ride Motorsport in Woodinville has a 2008 fully equipped (ABS, Airbag, Nav) for around $9K. it has 37K miles. that's the one I test drove last week. I was there on Saturday as well and asked for more details and started some negotiation. They were supposed to all me back before closing time (I had to leave because it was about to rain.. and I was driving my Yamaha Warrior which is, for lack of a better words, not a fun drive while raining :D ), but they didn't call me back.

Will wait until tomorrow (today they are closed) and see if they call me back. Otherwise I will keep looking

Thanks again
Luca

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well.. she is mine! 2012 GL1800 with ABS, TPS, comfort pack and Nav. Currently still at the dealer as they are doing valve check and mounting the fog lights. 48K miles ;).

Now, what are the MUST have mods or accessories??

I'm happy like a kid on Christmas morning!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
The mods really depend on what YOU want, not what everyone else thinks you need. A couple suggestions, if you are planning on lots of long distance rides maybe a backrest(Utopia) and some highway pegs. A drink holder is also nice to have. Congrats on the new bike!

Reactions: Luca Bandinelli
1 - 11 of 11 Posts