GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Linda has been after me to install CB in my new bike...mostly so she can tell me to slow up. Ya' know how one thing leads to another? This is one of those things. Took off the shelter to install CB and route wires. I thought what the hell, I may as well change airfilter as long as I am this deep.

It gets worse...long as I am going in this deep I may as well pull the tank, check hose clamps and ground. As long as the tank is out I may as well do the shock resevoir. The airfilter looked like a bale of hay. Rest of the bike was just dirty. Saw no signs of damage. This is probably the original airfilter. "SHEEEESH!"
DSCN3429.jpg DSCN3425.jpg DSCN3426.jpg DSCN3427.jpg DSCN3428.jpg

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,181 Posts
Linda has been after me to install CB in my new bike...mostly so she can tell me to slow up. Ya' know how one thing leads to another? This is one of those things. Took off the shelter to install CB and route wires. I thought what the hell, I may as well change airfilter as long as I am this deep.

It gets worse...long as I am going in this deep I may as well pull the tank, check hose clamps and ground. As long as the tank is out I may as well do the shock resevoir. The airfilter looked like a bale of hay. Rest of the bike was just dirty. Saw no signs of damage. This is probably the original airfilter. "SHEEEESH!"
View attachment 56007 View attachment 56003 View attachment 56004 View attachment 56005 View attachment 56006
How many miles on her?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'd guess some PO lived near someone with one or more Cottonwood trees. Those things are the declared enemy of internal combustion.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only 16,500 mmiles on it when I got it. I put a thousand on it riding it home. I feel bad now having abused the fat girl. I will get her taken care of though.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Looks like the "girl" had 16000+ Very Dirty miles. Glad you followed your instincts to go on into the bowels and make the filter change..She will thank you for it.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I'm betting the ad said it had very low miles, only driven on warm sunny days, stored in a heated garage, shows pride of ownership and ALL the maintenance has been done by the Honda dealer . . . of course the ONLY maintenance that was ever done was the PDI that the dealer did when the bike was delivered new . . . seriously though . . . I might look for a waterline . . . The apearance of the silt/dirt and debris and the way it seems to be coating everything equally, even inside the wiring harness boots . . . h-m-m-m-m-m I've seem cars recovered from floods . . . . and those pictures . . . . could be from a long trip on a very wet and muddy dirt road . . . but then again . . .

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,181 Posts
Only 16,500 mmiles on it when I got it. I put a thousand on it riding it home. I feel bad now having abused the fat girl. I will get her taken care of though.
I think the PO drove a lot on dirt roads. My 04 has about the same mileage as this 03 and she is nowhere near that dirty in the bowels, but she has never been on a dirt road.

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
just pulled mine today at 40,000 and wasnt all that bad .could have blown out bugs and reinstalled . had new one sittin there so thru it in

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

What, no engine removal?:lol::lol:

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
My 05 Anniversary in "pristine" showroom condition had a mere 3061. miles on her when I purchased in 2009... had the mouse/air filter thing going on too, which wasn't discovered until 20k! No long-term damage, thankfully. Get yours straight and a few years from now you won't even remember it! :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
I've seen worse. Wait until you dig into it and find a nest in the air box.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you clean all that dirt off it will stop running right.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I did my airfilter at 32K and it looked like the right side of that one. Not in bad shape but there was no way after doing all that work to get to it I was going to put the original back.

Where did the PO live? Might go a long way explaining why it looks like it does.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Orrin, I changed my air filter the first winter I had my new-to-me bike, even though the dealer said he had gone over everything on the bike before I bought it and am I ever glad that I did. This is what the filter looked like at 9000 miles and no, I don't have corn anywhere near my shed and have never had any mice in the shed either. It is surprising that nothing gets past the air filter even though the mice had chewed on the filter media a little. Don't forget to put some screen over the inlet ends of the air tubes going to the filter box.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts