GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been looking at several threads on comparisons between the 2018 and the 2020. This thread in particular, was great with that video from Fred Harmon.

With the pandemic, I hope a lot of folks are still out riding while staying safe and well...

So the questions that I have:

1. Has anyone gone from a 2018 to a 2020? Were the updates worth it?
  2. Can the changes on the 2020 be retrofitted to the 2018/19 bikes?
    1. Specifically the programming on the shifting, suspension, throttle mapping? Or are these mechanical changes that can't be retrofitted?
    2. Fog lights not included in the earlier models. Those could be installed.
    3. Taller grab handles can be retrofitted. I want that to be able to strap stuff to the seat. Having spent 13 days with my friends in their GoldWings, the older grab handles are a pain to strap anything to them.
    4. Navigation software can be upgraded. No issues there.
    5. Revised button on center console... no sure that is a big issue.
    6. I like the blackout engine and exhaust... but fine as well not having that...
Some background of how I got here... I have been riding for awhile... all kind of motorcycles... Yamaha VStar 650, Yamaha Roadstar Midnight Star, Honda CBR600RR, Harley Road Glide Custom, Road Glide CVO, Road King CVO, Softail Slim S, Sportster 48, Triumph Thruxton R, and my current ride is a 2019 BMW 850GS Adventure...

I switched from the Triumph to the BMW 850 GSA when my friends decided to make a trip from Florida to San Diego, CA and back... There was no way I was going to be able to make that trip on the Triumph Thruxton R... the range was not there and the carrying capacity might have been a problem... In hindsight, I should have purchased the Gold Wing then... but noooooo... stupid me... Anyway, the trip was amazing, the bike swallow miles like nothing. Range as better than my friends bikes... but I hated the bike. Hate how top heavy it is... I am also too frigging short for it (5'7")... I gave it a try... I changed the seat for better reach... I switch suspension settings as I come to a stop to get closer to the ground... but I just hate not feeling secure during stops or even during fuel stops. So it has to go...

I am trying to decide if I go with a 2020... if the updates are worth it or if I go with one of the 2018/2019 new bikes that are still in the dealer showroom floor...

Oh, and my friends... they headed out last Friday from Florida to Washington State on a 15 day round trip... I was to scare to head out with them during this pandemic... they are making sure that I stay current on all the fun they are having and all that I am missing... ... sobs!! :ROFLMAO:

Thank you all, in advanced, for your comments and suggestions.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I Was You 3 - 4 Weeks Ago.. 馃槃
18' / 19' Better Price...
20' Updated Features...
I Went 2020... 100% Satisfied With My Purchase 馃憤
Just MAKE SURE You Are Satisfied With Yours.. View attachment 374115
That is a beautiful machine!! Congratulations.

Were you dead set from the get go on a Tour?

As you can see in the photos I shared, I do not have the third trunk in the BMW... wanted just the carrier for bags and stuff...

I have the hots for the graphite color scheme of the Gold Wing

But that would mean leaving out so many additional features that come with the Tour package....I would be missing out on:

Center stand
Two rear speakers
Top box (duh! This one I really do not care much for it.... but wonder if I would miss it later...)
Selectable torque control
Heated seat
Front/Rear electric damping adjust
Electric preload adjust vs. manual
Taller windshield

I like the sportier looks without the trunk...and that graphite color scheme....

So my plan was to get the DCT Tour and one of those quick disconnect kits to be able to ride without the trunk. That would give me the look and all the features...

But the color choices for this year are not my first choice... I would be compromising...

Registered
A left-over '18 or '19 might be hard to find at this point. Most dealers are already out of 2020's as well. But there's always a deal somewhere. But finding it might get lengthy.

JMHO

Love The DCT
A left-over '18 or '19 might be hard to find at this point. Most dealers are already out of 2020's as well. But there's always a deal somewhere. But finding it might get lengthy.

JMHO
You don鈥檛 have to look very hard to find left over 18 and 19 models. Some dealers near me have the 2020 models on the floor. A couple of them have said it has been somewhat difficult to get a 2020 blacked out white tour model.

Registered
I was in a similar place mid july.
I decided to go with a left over 19.
It saved me about $6k to do so.
I really liked the white over black 2020 in the DCT Tour, but just couldn't justify the price difference.
YMMV.

Registered
That is a beautiful machine!! Congratulations.

Were you dead set from the get go on a Tour?

I have the hots for the graphite color scheme of the Gold Wing View attachment 374116
But that would mean leaving out so many additional features that come with the Tour package....I would be missing out on:

Center stand
Two rear speakers
Top box (duh! This one I really do not care much for it.... but wonder if I would miss it later...)
Selectable torque control
Heated seat
Front/Rear electric damping adjust
Electric preload adjust vs. manual
Taller windshield

I like the sportier looks without the trunk...and that graphite color scheme....

So my plan was to get the DCT Tour and one of those quick disconnect kits to be able to ride without the trunk. That would give me the look and all the features...

But the color choices for this year are not my first choice... I would be compromising...
First Of All.. Thank You.
Honestly.. You've Said It Yourself.. Going With The Non-Tour, You Give Up ( IMO ) A Lot Of Features.
And Yes.. As "KOOL" As The Non-Tour Looks.. The Tour Was My 1st Choice Because I Personally Think It Makes The Bike Look Complete... If That Makes Sense.. The Non-Tour Just Looks Open In The Rear ( IMO ) And Most Importantly, There Is No Option To Hook Up Higher Mount Brakelights.. To Make You More Visible When A Vehicle Is Following You Too Close.. All The Other Additions You've Mentioned Just Add To The Equation At This Price Point.. I Think It's Worth A Couple Of Thousand More.. It Won't Change Your Payment That Much If You Are Financing.. And Unless You Just Have To Have An Airbag... You Are Investing In The "Full Monty" Going With The Tour.

Color? Or Features??

That's Your Choice. Good Luck! (y)

P.S.
The 2021's Are About 5 Weeks Away From Being Revealed :unsure:
They'll Cost You $500.00 To A $1,000.00 More.. But, You May Want To Wait.....

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
You don鈥檛 have to look very hard to find left over 18 and 19 models. Some dealers near me have the 2020 models on the floor. A couple of them have said it has been somewhat difficult to get a 2020 blacked out white tour model.
I called a local dealer that showed 8 DCT Tour in stock on their website... a 2018, 2-2019, and the rest 2020s. But when I spoke with them I was told that they had no DCT available...

Registered
When do they usually announce the next year models? And when are those release (month) for sale?
Usually by now we get a wiff but Honda plays their cards close to the chest. I haven't seen any hints at 2021s yet. Maybe someone closer to the source can advise.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all! Looks like I will wait for the 2021 to be out.

I still have this wild horse that I can ride while those are out...

Love The DCT
Usually by now we get a wiff but Honda plays their cards close to the chest. I haven't seen any hints at 2021s yet. Maybe someone closer to the source can advise.
You probably won鈥檛 see 2021 models at the dealerships until the end of Oct or sometime in Nov.

Registered
It really come down to what you value, no one really shares the same ideas on what you find worth your hard earned money.

For me, the additional $7,000 for the 2020 over a new/left over 2018 was a hard pass for a few reasons.
1. The changes / updates don't hold 7k in value to me personally.
2. I can buy all the gear and upgrades that are valuable to me and still have money left over for a few long trips.
3. No one was willing to deal on the 2020's, I saved close to 7k off MSRP on a 2018, that $7,000 I saved is also less money I've lost in depreciation.

Onto your other statement about 2018's being hard to find, cycle trader is a great resource, most dealerships will list inventory through them.

I bought mine at Honda of Houston and it went smooth with none of a pseudo dealer foolery,
Honda of Houston - They have a few 2018 manuals left for $19.9k
DFW Honda - Huge Inventory of 2018's - I spoke with them a few times but Houston beat them on price by a good chunk of change.

I'm not sure how pertinent those dealerships are to you due to location but 2018's are still out there needing a good home -o

Lastly, I've seen some HELLA good bikes on this forum for sale in the last few months, good prices with some quality upgrades for a ton less than a new bike and adding the upgrades.

Although, the more time you spend decidin' is less time you spend ridin'...

Good luck !

Not many things put a smile that big on my face
Goldwing Delivery.jpg

Premium Member
I was in your shoes just three months ago. I decided on the 2020 and couldn't be happier. Sure, I spent a bit more than what I would have for a 2019 but you also need to consider that in 3 years a 2019 will be 4 years old and a 2020 will only be 3 years old. You will get a better resale value but I doubt it will cover the difference in the initial purchase cost.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
It really come down to what you value, no one really shares the same ideas on what you find worth your hard earned money.

For me, the additional $7,000 for the 2020 over a new/left over 2018 was a hard pass for a few reasons.
1. The changes / updates don't hold 7k in value to me personally.
2. I can buy all the gear and upgrades that are valuable to me and still have money left over for a few long trips.
3. No one was willing to deal on the 2020's, I saved close to 7k off MSRP on a 2018, that $7,000 I saved is also less money I've lost in depreciation.

Onto your other statement about 2018's being hard to find, cycle trader is a great resource, most dealerships will list inventory through them.

I bought mine at Honda of Houston and it went smooth with none of a pseudo dealer foolery,
Honda of Houston - They have a few 2018 manuals left for $19.9k
DFW Honda - Huge Inventory of 2018's - I spoke with them a few times but Houston beat them on price by a good chunk of change.

I'm not sure how pertinent those dealerships are to you due to location but 2018's are still out there needing a good home -o

Lastly, I've seen some HELLA good bikes on this forum for sale in the last few months, good prices with some quality upgrades for a ton less than a new bike and adding the upgrades.

Although, the more time you spend decidin' is less time you spend ridin'...

Good luck !

Not many things put a smile that big on my face
View attachment 374126 View attachment 374126
You have the bike in my favorite color. Love that blue!!!

I am not having any luck finding Tour DCT in stock. Their listings in CycleTrader or dealer inventory might show them available but when I call I keep getting the message that they are sold.

I will try a few more dealers. Would be sweet to find that blue one... if I can鈥檛 then I will just wait for 2021 to come in and decide then.

Thanks again!

Premium Member
As Honda seems to do every year, the color options will change in 2021 so blue may not be available in the new model year. I do agree that blue is the nicest looking color. I've always liked it on cars and motorcycles but oddly, I have only owned two blue vehicles in my life.

Registered
Just to mention a few of my decision points:
1: 2018 or 2020
The cost savings on a 2018 was phenonemal. After examining the differences I realized I could modify the current grab rails and add fog lights if I wanted and did so, Cost was about $400. My console button works. The other features were minimal or included.

2. Goldwing or Tour. I think if most of your long distance riding is with a passenger you want the Tour. My multi day trips are solo (she either doesnt go, drives, or flies). I strap a saddlemen bag on the rear seat and carry enough items for a month.

3. I have never felt a cold butt but I use thermally adjustable clothes (underwesr) My preload is manual but I set it once and that was it. I always thought the Goldwing electronic preload would be good but now there are just 3 settings. With the savings I could buy a lot of centrestands and taller windshields.

4. DCT vs Manual. Someone noted there are slightly more DCTs being sold but I tried both and was totally comfortable with the new light slipper clutch and have never thought I wish I didnt have a clutch.

So in the end I bought a 2018 Goldwing - non-tour, added a Saddlemen seat bag, drilled out my grab rail so I could bungee to them, bought a taller windshield but haven't put it on, bought fog lights but will install later, added Cardo headset you/passenger could hear music. (no matter how many speakers, the built in ones are just annoying with a modular helmet at highway speed). My saving was enough to stay in mid-range hotels for the next 2 years.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts