2019 Goldwing non tour DCT
Get an '18 or '19 for a great price and use the saved money for maybe a seat, or wigwag lights, hiway pegs, windshield or create your own list. You are gonna LOVE this bike, I traded in my 2012 on a 2019 and cannot believe the difference, it handles like a much smaller bike. I got the non-tour just because I like the way it looks, I'm not worried about the smaller bags, I travel a lot with a couple of buddies and you just learn to take what you need. I don't know if Chatanooga is too far for you, but they had some great prices on WingsI have been looking at several threads on comparisons between the 2018 and the 2020. This thread in particular, was great with that video from Fred Harmon.
I would like to know what kind of differences there are between the 2018 Goldwing vs the 2019 or 2020's. I have a dealer in my area that has a good discount on some brand new 2018's. Also what do most riders recommend for add-ons other than stock? I have a 2010 with only 70,000 miles on it and...www.gl1800riders.com
With the pandemic, I hope a lot of folks are still out riding while staying safe and well...
So the questions that I have:
Some background of how I got here... I have been riding for awhile... all kind of motorcycles... Yamaha VStar 650, Yamaha Roadstar Midnight Star, Honda CBR600RR, Harley Road Glide Custom, Road Glide CVO, Road King CVO, Softail Slim S, Sportster 48, Triumph Thruxton R, and my current ride is a 2019 BMW 850GS Adventure...
- Has anyone gone from a 2018 to a 2020? Were the updates worth it?
- Can the changes on the 2020 be retrofitted to the 2018/19 bikes?
- Specifically the programming on the shifting, suspension, throttle mapping? Or are these mechanical changes that can't be retrofitted?
- Fog lights not included in the earlier models. Those could be installed.
- Taller grab handles can be retrofitted. I want that to be able to strap stuff to the seat. Having spent 13 days with my friends in their GoldWings, the older grab handles are a pain to strap anything to them.
- Navigation software can be upgraded. No issues there.
- Revised button on center console... no sure that is a big issue.
- I like the blackout engine and exhaust... but fine as well not having that...
I switched from the Triumph to the BMW 850 GSA when my friends decided to make a trip from Florida to San Diego, CA and back... There was no way I was going to be able to make that trip on the Triumph Thruxton R... the range was not there and the carrying capacity might have been a problem... In hindsight, I should have purchased the Gold Wing then... but noooooo... stupid me... Anyway, the trip was amazing, the bike swallow miles like nothing. Range as better than my friends bikes... but I hated the bike. Hate how top heavy it is... I am also too frigging short for it (5'7")... I gave it a try... I changed the seat for better reach... I switch suspension settings as I come to a stop to get closer to the ground... but I just hate not feeling secure during stops or even during fuel stops. So it has to go...
I am trying to decide if I go with a 2020... if the updates are worth it or if I go with one of the 2018/2019 new bikes that are still in the dealer showroom floor...
View attachment 374110
View attachment 374111
View attachment 374112
View attachment 374113
Oh, and my friends... they headed out last Friday from Florida to Washington State on a 15 day round trip... I was to scare to head out with them during this pandemic... they are making sure that I stay current on all the fun they are having and all that I am missing... ... sobs!!
View attachment 374114
Thank you all, in advanced, for your comments and suggestions.