GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have been looking at several threads on comparisons between the 2018 and the 2020. This thread in particular, was great with that video from Fred Harmon.

With the pandemic, I hope a lot of folks are still out riding while staying safe and well...

So the questions that I have:

1. Has anyone gone from a 2018 to a 2020? Were the updates worth it?
  2. Can the changes on the 2020 be retrofitted to the 2018/19 bikes?
    1. Specifically the programming on the shifting, suspension, throttle mapping? Or are these mechanical changes that can't be retrofitted?
    2. Fog lights not included in the earlier models. Those could be installed.
    3. Taller grab handles can be retrofitted. I want that to be able to strap stuff to the seat. Having spent 13 days with my friends in their GoldWings, the older grab handles are a pain to strap anything to them.
    4. Navigation software can be upgraded. No issues there.
    5. Revised button on center console... no sure that is a big issue.
    6. I like the blackout engine and exhaust... but fine as well not having that...
Some background of how I got here... I have been riding for awhile... all kind of motorcycles... Yamaha VStar 650, Yamaha Roadstar Midnight Star, Honda CBR600RR, Harley Road Glide Custom, Road Glide CVO, Road King CVO, Softail Slim S, Sportster 48, Triumph Thruxton R, and my current ride is a 2019 BMW 850GS Adventure...

I switched from the Triumph to the BMW 850 GSA when my friends decided to make a trip from Florida to San Diego, CA and back... There was no way I was going to be able to make that trip on the Triumph Thruxton R... the range was not there and the carrying capacity might have been a problem... In hindsight, I should have purchased the Gold Wing then... but noooooo... stupid me... Anyway, the trip was amazing, the bike swallow miles like nothing. Range as better than my friends bikes... but I hated the bike. Hate how top heavy it is... I am also too frigging short for it (5'7")... I gave it a try... I changed the seat for better reach... I switch suspension settings as I come to a stop to get closer to the ground... but I just hate not feeling secure during stops or even during fuel stops. So it has to go...

I am trying to decide if I go with a 2020... if the updates are worth it or if I go with one of the 2018/2019 new bikes that are still in the dealer showroom floor...

View attachment 374110

View attachment 374111

View attachment 374112

View attachment 374113

Oh, and my friends... they headed out last Friday from Florida to Washington State on a 15 day round trip... I was to scare to head out with them during this pandemic... they are making sure that I stay current on all the fun they are having and all that I am missing... ... sobs!! :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 374114

Thank you all, in advanced, for your comments and suggestions.
Get an '18 or '19 for a great price and use the saved money for maybe a seat, or wigwag lights, hiway pegs, windshield or create your own list. You are gonna LOVE this bike, I traded in my 2012 on a 2019 and cannot believe the difference, it handles like a much smaller bike. I got the non-tour just because I like the way it looks, I'm not worried about the smaller bags, I travel a lot with a couple of buddies and you just learn to take what you need. I don't know if Chatanooga is too far for you, but they had some great prices on Wings

·
Banned
78 Posts
I have been looking at several threads on comparisons between the 2018 and the 2020.

With the pandemic, I hope a lot of folks are still out riding while staying safe and well...

I am trying to decide if I go with a 2020... if the updates are worth it or if I go with one of the 2018/2019 new bikes that are still in the dealer showroom floor...
One thing that Both Fred & Cruiseman noted on their respective demo rides was the 2020's simply shift smoother.. remember the 2020's have what Honda is calling "A 3rd Generation DCT" and much better Injection Mapping as well as Eletronic Supension Calibrations if you are going with a Tour Model..
And,
Don't Forget To Factor This Into Your Decision As Well..

VALUE 2018.JPG

:unsure:
VALUE 2019.JPG

Value of a 2020 vs 18's & 19' will be a factor should you move on from it at some point.. the 2020's+ will be "Revised" versions of the WIng when looking back from 2023 - forward..

Just Food For Thought... :unsure:

·
Banned
78 Posts
When do they usually announce the next year models? And when are those release (month) for sale?
The week of October 19th..
If you have the patience WAIT 👈
Not many folks are investing in $20,000.00+ Motorcycles with the economy such as it is. Here in Southern CA, there are several NEW 18's / 19's.. I Gurantee they'll still be there in 4 weeks if you want to invest in one.. But remember, the second the 2021's start to ship.. the current values I posted a couple of comments before will Drop even more.. If you are going back as far as 2018, you should also consider going Used.. and save on the depreciation that you have with a new one. The second you cross the driveway of the dealership you're looking at "Wholesale" Value for that bike you're riding off on. I don't care if has less than 100 miles on it.. once registered it worth Wholesale Used to any Dealer. If you are financing the difference in payment from a 2018 to 2021 would be no more than $40.00 a month over a 48-60 month term..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yeah... not like I am riding much. Going to wait on what 2021 models bring in terms of colors and go from there.

Buying new (even if I go with a 2018)... financing as well... unless I take a loan against my 401K.... which is financing as well but I pay myself the interests...

The comment on asking for a new battery if I go with a new 2018 is a great one... did not think about that.

If there are no blue for 2021 but there is that graphite color...with either color it would be game over...

I am also going back and forth on Tour and non-Tour... I can relate to some of the comments from non-tour owners. If I get a Tour I was planning on removing the trunk anyway...I like the looks without it. Would only put it back from long trips. This is where it is less expensive to buy the Tour than to add that trunk afterwards...

But then again, if I go without the Tour pack, I would just be installing a rack for strapping camping equipment...

Oct/Nov is around the corner... waiting it is.

·
Banned
78 Posts
Going to wait on what 2021 models bring in terms of colors and go from there.

Buying new (even if I go with a 2018)... financing as well... unless I take a loan against my 401K.... which is financing as well but I pay myself the interests...

The comment on asking for a new battery if I go with a new 2018 is a great one... did not think about that.

If there are no blue for 2021 but there is that graphite color...with either color it would be game over...

I am also going back and forth on Tour and non-Tour... I can relate to some of the comments from non-tour owners. If I get a Tour I was planning on removing the trunk anyway...I like the looks without it..

Oct/Nov is around the corner... waiting it is.
Wise Move On The Wait.. (y)
It would be a much better investment.. It was love for me at first sight (49er colors..), Updated Supension & DCT.
And the battery condition is a GREAT POINT if your goingback to an 18' or 19'.
I was very lucky in that respect.. mine was just basically "Un-Crated" with only 0.6/10ths of a mile on it. They pulled a fresh battery off the shelf and did the fluids while I was doing the deal.
I Really Love My Bike.. being the First To Ride and Break It In..My Way.
Can't wait to see what you get Man!
P.S.
Remember, going with the Non-Tour you will loose the Electronic Supension and Centerstand.
LESS THAN A MILE.jpg

NO BRAINER.JPG

·
Registered
454 Posts
I am also going back and forth on Tour and non-Tour... I can relate to some of the comments from non-tour owners. If I get a Tour I was planning on removing the trunk anyway...I like the looks without it. Would only put it back from long trips. This is where it is less expensive to buy the Tour than to add that trunk afterwards...
I never liked the look of a trunk and had one on an old Goldwing that I removed and lost. I was almost convinced to buy a Tour and then just take off the trunk until I realized how long it would take to remove (so not likely to put it back on) but the real issue was I found out you have to buy a Trunk Removal Kit for $150 plus a Cover for where the trunk was for $400. so about $825 CDN with tax. I didn't want to do that much work so asked the dealer service and was quoted $1000 for parts and labor and so instead I bought a seat bag for $133. If I was considering passenger touring I would probably look at Tour.

·
Registered
414 Posts
One thing that Both Fred & Cruiseman noted on their respective demo rides was the 2020's simply shift smoother.. remember the 2020's have what Honda is calling "A 3rd Generation DCT" and much better Injection Mapping as well as Eletronic Supension Calibrations if you are going with a Tour Model..
And,
Don't Forget To Factor This Into Your Decision As Well..

View attachment 374140

:unsure:
View attachment 374141

Value of a 2020 vs 18's & 19' will be a factor should you move on from it at some point.. the 2020's+ will be "Revised" versions of the WIng when looking back from 2023 - forward..

Just Food For Thought... :unsure:
It's irrelevant. I got the 2018 Tour DCT for a great price and am not interested in selling or trading it in as I'm very happy with it. Plus, by the time I think about getting rid of it I will have used up every drop of fun from it there be nothing left for anyone else.

·
Banned
78 Posts
I never liked the look of a trunk and had one on an old Goldwing that I removed and lost. I was almost convinced to buy a Tour and then just take off the trunk until I realized how long it would take to remove (so not likely to put it back on) but the real issue was I found out you have to buy a Trunk Removal Kit for $150 plus a Cover for where the trunk was for $400.
It's Funny.. I was just the oppisite.. couldn't invest in a Wing without it 😄
I love that I can get 4 Liter Bottles of Sodas and a Gallon of Milk or a case of Water in the trunk no problem (y)
The one negative I have about ALL Wings are the Super Low brake lights.. Having that Trunk to mount my Goldstrike brake light is CRUIAL for me and my Wife's safety.. Especially night riding.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I never liked the look of a trunk and had one on an old Goldwing that I removed and lost. I was almost convinced to buy a Tour and then just take off the trunk until I realized how long it would take to remove (so not likely to put it back on) but the real issue was I found out you have to buy a Trunk Removal Kit for $150 plus a Cover for where the trunk was for $400. so about $825 CDN with tax. I didn't want to do that much work so asked the dealer service and was quoted $1000 for parts and labor and so instead I bought a seat bag for $133. If I was considering passenger touring I would probably look at Tour.
Wife does not trust her life with me :D. When she used to go out with me, it was riding her own bike... The bike is just for me... I do not see my wife changing her mindset. lol

·
Banned
78 Posts
Wife does not trust her life with me :D. When she used to go out with me, it was riding her own bike... The bike is just for me... I do not see my wife changing her mindset. lol
The WIng May Just Change That.. :giggle:
Get Her Favorite Color.. (Even If You Have To Pay Thousands For A Custom Paint Job.. :oops:)

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Not sure how it can be considered an investment to by any year bike. You will never make any money buying any vehicle due to the rapid depreciation. There may be an exception in some off the wall rare case, but buying a bike, or any vehicle, is an expense where you will lose money and in exchange hopefully have some fun or get some utility for that expense.

I bought a 2020 in June, paid more than I would have for an 18 or 19 but for me, it was worth it and I got a good deal on the 20. Maybe I'll get some money back if I ever sell it but maybe I will never sell it. I will almost certainly get more for my 20 than I would for an 18 or 19 with the same miles and wear.

As someone already said. Buy what you can afford and don't look back. Waiting is fine but keep in mind that you are not riding one while you wait. Only you can decide if waiting and therefore delaying the fun is worth it. I almost gave up looking when I couldn't find one locally but I'm glad I found one even if it was 4 hours away. The ride home was amazing and I have been enjoying riding ever since. Whether you get a 18, 19, or 20 you likely will not regret it. You may regret not getting one at all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Not sure how it can be considered an investment to by any year bike. You will never make any money buying any vehicle due to the rapid depreciation. There may be an exception in some off the wall rare case, but buying a bike, or any vehicle, is an expense where you will lose money and in exchange hopefully have some fun or get some utility for that expense.

I bought a 2020 in June, paid more than I would have for an 18 or 19 but for me, it was worth it and I got a good deal on the 20. Maybe I'll get some money back if I ever sell it but maybe I will never sell it. I will almost certainly get more for my 20 than I would for an 18 or 19 with the same miles and wear.

As someone already said. Buy what you can afford and don't look back. Waiting is fine but keep in mind that you are not riding one while you wait. Only you can decide if waiting and therefore delaying the fun is worth it. I almost gave up looking when I couldn't find one locally but I'm glad I found one even if it was 4 hours away. The ride home was amazing and I have been enjoying riding ever since. Whether you get a 18, 19, or 20 you likely will not regret it. You may regret not getting one at all.
I am not bikeless at the moment... still have the BMW to ride around... that is why I am saying that waiting is not a problem. And, as someone mentioned, those 2018, 2019... will still be there (maybe not close by, but that is fine as well). I hope that I am never without a motorcycle in the garage... I need my escape from time to time... helps me relax.

The WIng May Just Change That.. :giggle:
Get Her Favorite Color.. (Even If You Have To Pay Thousands For A Custom Paint Job.. :oops:)
Custom color to her likings? Ahh... not happening :ROFLMAO: . This was her ride:

Really, we had this conversations many times. She will ride her bike... The only time she said she would ride with me is if I get a trike... and, hopefully, that is not happening for many, many more years... as long as my legs hold me well, I will be on two wheels.

But thinking more about it, I do agree that the Gold Wing might start to change her mind once she sees it park in the garage... and just like that I am back to the Tour...

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm concerned about all the posts that talk about how difficult the DCT is to modulate at parking lot speeds. Has that issue been resolved on the 18s? Is the 20 any better?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
To me it is no harder than my 2002 was. The clutch on that had a small friction zone. It was either in or out. At least mine was. The DCT can be easily controlled at parking lot speeds. You do had to experiment around a little to master it. The lighter feel of the bike makes it easier to balance.

Reactions: valkyrie62

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Not that I stole my 2020 dct non tour, but it was $22k out the door. Parking lot issues are countered with slight touches to rear brake. If you feel uncomfortable in drive, switch to creep mode.

·
Banned
78 Posts
I'm concerned about all the posts that talk about how difficult the DCT is to modulate at parking lot speeds. Has that issue been resolved on the 18s? Is the 20 any better?
Yes.
The Re-Mapping Honda Implemented Works.
The 2020's are not as "Jumpy " IMHO afer experiencing the prior years DCT's.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts