GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
This was her ride:

View attachment 374175

Really, The only time she said she would ride with me is if I get a trike...
But thinking more about it, I do agree that the Gold Wing might start to change her mind once she sees it park in the garage..
SWEET ! 👈
Oh Hell Yeah!
You Paint That DCT Tour To Match... She's On You Like White On Rice!
Whats Another Couple Of Thousand To Have The ONLY 2021 DCT Tour Purple & Blacked Out!
You'll Be In The Same Catogory As Envy And His Philly Green WIng (y)
Go For It Boss!
Make It Rain!!

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'm concerned about all the posts that talk about how difficult the DCT is to modulate at parking lot speeds. Has that issue been resolved on the 18s? Is the 20 any better?
Bear in mind with the DCT, a lot of people who post about it are posting their first impressions. Perhaps the DCT is difficult to modulate at parking lot speeds at first as you get used to it.

I posted a long time ago about getting caught in a snow storm on top of a mountain with my DCT and having to ride at least a couple of miles on sheet ice. I’m not exaggerating... thick, smooth, sheet ice. I did it at about walking pace in ‘rain mode’ and I did not drop the bike. Now, I’m aware there was probably a lot of luck involved in me not dropping it, but I still don’t think it would have been possible if the DCT was difficult to modulate at parking lot speeds.

As for the 2018 Vs 2020 debate, I guess it depends how important smoothing out the ‘clunks’ is to you. The DCT can occasionally clunk a little too heavily between gears for a lot of people’s liking. It has honestly never bothered me for a second - I just think it adds character - but some people it annoys the hell out of by the sounds of things, so depends whether you’re one of those people or not. Not sure it’d make any different to very slow speed stuff as that’d all be in first gear anyway.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
One thing that Both Fred & Cruiseman noted on their respective demo rides was the 2020's simply shift smoother.. remember the 2020's have what Honda is calling "A 3rd Generation DCT" and much better Injection Mapping as well as Eletronic Supension Calibrations if you are going with a Tour Model..
And,
Don't Forget To Factor This Into Your Decision As Well..

View attachment 374140

:unsure:
View attachment 374141

Value of a 2020 vs 18's & 19' will be a factor should you move on from it at some point.. the 2020's+ will be "Revised" versions of the WIng when looking back from 2023 - forward..

Just Food For Thought... :unsure:
Those prices arent very realistic. My 2018 Red DCT tour NADA average retail is a little over $23,000 with a custom seat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I could not believe that the two local dealers closer to me had no Gold Wing Tour after seeing over 6-8 ads in Cycle Trader from each of them...

So I drove over today just to see it for my self... Sure enough. Only one 2020 Gold Wing, manual clutch. And they had a trike based on a 2018... (you can see an older Gold Wing trike on the back as well) that was it.

Did not even asked for a price... thank them and walked out... In a way, that was good... avoided an impulse buy... want to wait to see what 2021 brings.

In the meantime, new battery installed on the wild horse, tire pressure adjusted, and took a short ride...

As little Silver Betsy reads... "Relax! Life is Good!"

·
Registered
106 Posts
I decided to buy a new 18 Airbag. I pick it up Friday. Supposedly the rebates end at the end of the month, but who knows if they will be renewed. I got it for 25, with no freight or any other fees. There are 4 in Storm Lake Iowa that would have saved me $650, but I would have to have driven 11 hours instead of 3. IIRC they were 23,899, but they wanted $450 for freight.

I test rode it and it was a lot easier for me to do parking lot turns with almost no practice than my 08 that I have been practicing with. The key is the rear brake. It is easier to coordinate 2 things than 3. And the bike feels much smaller. It feels very similar in size to my ST1100. It does take a little more effort to initiate a turn on the highway than my 08. I think it makes it feel more stable. I didn't take it down any curvy roads though. I rode without earplugs and did hear the transmission go in and out of gear. It didn't bother me. I always wear earplugs anyway. I felt more comfortable on this bike after a short test ride than I do on my 08 that I have had for 2 seasons.

I have ordered my Heibars Horizon and a Utopia back rest. I'll give the seat a chance, but this weekend I'll probably going to go on and get a production date for a Russell Sport seat.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts