GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2021 6 speed Wing, 2021 Kawasaki Z900RS, 2019 Road Glide
2,787 Posts
I HATE companies that do that !!! MSRP gives the dealer's enough profit to pay overhead and make a reasonable profit to stay in business.

Yes, I know that private companies can charge whatever they want to, but businesses that jack up their prices due to inventory shortages and take advantage of customers like this can just keep their inventory and go out of business. I won't be giving them ANY of my money.

I feel the same about car dealers too that pull this crap too !! :mad::mad:

Rant over.
That is exactly the correct way to handle it......refuse to do business with companies that do that. Keep at it and you'll eventually find a deal that suits you. It may be time consuming, but you'll be happier in the end.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Dealers need be charge the market value that’s determined by the free market. If it is artificial and not close the market will prevail. Think scalpers.

Example: Dealer owner sells trucks for $10,000 over because that is the market. Employee talks owner into selling a truck for MSRP to a good family member. Owner caves and does it as a favor. 2 days later the dealer owner sees the exact truck on eBay for $10,000 over what he sold it for. True story.

People sell used vehicles for market value regardless of what Bluebook or Nada values are. Why should dealers be any different? They should have no obligation to gift stuff to people.

Peoples views on this mostly depend on if they are buying or selling.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Dealers need be charge the market value that’s determined by the free market. If it is artificial and not close the market will prevail. Think scalpers.

Example: Dealer owner sells trucks for $10,000 over because that is the market. Employee talks owner into selling a truck for MSRP to a good family member. Owner caves and does it as a favor. 2 days later the dealer owner sees the exact truck on eBay for $10,000 over what he sold it for. True story.

People sell used vehicles for market value regardless of what Bluebook or Nada values are. Why should dealers be any different? They should have no obligation to gift stuff to people.

Peoples views on this mostly depend on if they are buying or selling.
The same logic is used after a natural disaster, just charge the people in need what they are willing to pay, even if it is six times over retail for a sheet of plywood or food.. It's called gouging. Yes, free market is one thing, but there needs to be some restraint and common decency. Sure, in most cases a vehicle is a novelty and not needed, but still....

·
Registered
2021 6 speed Wing, 2021 Kawasaki Z900RS, 2019 Road Glide
2,787 Posts
A friend of mine has had a GMC truck on order for some time now. He located the exact truck he had ordered at another dealer because their customer disappeared. He went down to the dealer to buy the in-stock truck and they wanted $15K over sticker. He told them to stuff it and showed them the order sheet from the other dealer with invoice pricing. They came back with: "everybody pays $15K over"....he replies 'I'm not everybody". He gets the sales manager, shows him the paperwork from the other dealer and he walks out with the truck at GM employee pricing (below sticker) because his father is retired from GM. Play hardball like they do and be prepared to walk if you don't get what you want (within reason).

·
Registered
2022 Goldwing DCT Non Tour
119 Posts
2022 models started appearing at dealers in Dec 2021......announced by Honda November 16, 2021.
Seeing them in the showroom is a different story.......most dealers have lists of potential buyers with money down on a new Wing.

They arrive and go out the door in a matter of a few days....

Expect the same with 2023 models.
I picked up my 2022 DCT non-tour on 12-7-21. Miami Honda dealer. He claimed it was the first one on the east coast....

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm hoping to purchase a 2023 DCT Non-Touring bike before December.

I'm currently on several dealers' lists within 150 miles of Atlanta. The issue is that most of them only get one or two Goldwing's a year, and the few that do get them are marking them up with silly fake charges and other fees.

Request: If you know of a dealership with bikes scheduled to come in by December and don't play games with fees and markups, please let me know. I greatly appreciate it.
You might need to increase the radius of your search. I used Cycle Trader email alerts, too. Best of luck!

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Only works on financed or leased vehicles. If you have no loan and you total the car, you're SOL.
You should be able to buy new car replacement insurance then.. It’s America, you should almost always be able to buy whatever you feel you need. Someone wil supply it. I revised my post above to include it. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
2018 DCT Tour Candy Ardent Red
37 Posts
Me too...thanks!

exactly! I recently purchased a new convertible C8 Corvette and some of the markups dealers were asking for was criminal. By the way there’s a dealer in Georgia that sell Corvettes at MSRP but it’s about a six month waiting list. Let me know if interested.
Just curious and sorry for the off topic but... What color is your C8? 1LT, 2LT or 3LT? How are you liking it?

If I'm able to stay employed I'm buying myself a C8 for my 50th birthday in 2024.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
White, Convertible, 2LT, GT2 seats, natural interior with suede inserts, front lift, performance exhaust, dynamic suspension, and a bunch of other stuff I have added since purchase
I was 55 when I got it...thought was, "if not now, then when?" I don't regret the decision, mainly when I can sell it any day for more money than I paid. Interest rates being what they were helped a lot with the decision, and would not be able to swing it with today's rates.

Go for it....I'm sure you work hard and have been wanting it for a long time. It took me 50 years from the first time I remember seeing one and saying, "that's my car."

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Today, my local dealer locked me in for a 2023 non-Tour model scheduled to ship on 11-11-2022 with an expected arrival date of the first week in December. I also have deposits at two other dealers showing inbound inventory for later this month and in November.

It appears that non-touring models are coming sooner than touring ones. Most of the inbound inventory was originally 2022-year models that were changed to 2023.

Regarding pricing, every dealer I've dealt with has a unique "charge/fee" accounting for $1,500-$2,500 more than the website. Most dealers mentioned items Honda charges them that are not on the website but are shown on the invoice they receive.

Hopefully, the dates don't slip....again.

·
Registered
Future Goldwing owner - current sport bike owner looking to sell
149 Posts
Won't buy any vehicles or toys that are over MSRP.
I’m with you but there are plenty who are willing to pay whatever to get the latest and greatest, and they have the money to do it.
To me, the 2018’s are pretty much the same as the 2023’s so why not find a late model used bike still under warranty with low miles and save thousands? Let the original owner overpay, then you get the bike for a bargain.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I hope one of you do get the 23 by December. I'm hoping the nav update rumor on the 23's is true and can be downloaded to the 18's plus.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts