GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
If you haven't already, buy some insulated bib pants. I bought fabric pants at WalMart for $60. They have nice ski pants in nylon for $90 at Dick's Sporting Goods. A winter jacket and insulated pants is enough to keep me warm down into the 40s.

I live in the Carolinas, you know, the South, and I own a Gerbing electric jacket. If you are going to ride in cold weather, an electric jacket is a real safety feature. Buy one, use it, sell it on Ebay afterwards if you have to, but using the right tool for the job can really make life better. Just saying.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Well, I got the bike on the road today and just had my light jacket on that I wear at work at a desk all day.
I put my light gloves on after 2 miles in town then took it on the freeway. Not as cold as I thought. I guess I'm just hardened from the winter.
I have some Gortex Winter Boots I got while in the military I plan to wear. I also have insulated chaps, two sportbike style jackets with liners that I wear on top of each other then Polypropylene Long underwear. I usually have cold toes and fingers along with the very center of my back. I think the winter boots will take care of the toes. I have winter gloves and heated grips, so nothing short of heated gloves will help. The center of my back is my greatest concern.

I am not willing to pay over $50 for this fix.

The battery powered vests at the home stores are running $199, the same as a heated jacket that plugs in

This electric blanket Idea sounds good, but I have to run to Fleet farm and see. There is one very close.
Does it have a temp Control?
The cold will slowly creep in over time and when it does there is no way to get warm. I'll bet before the trip is over you will change your mind about not being willing to pay over $50.00 for warmth.

·
Premium Member
12,495 Posts
I used to tuff it out ... Lol! Finally bought heated gear and I am spoiled...
HA!
..first step toward becoming one of those whiney old farts you seem to despise so much...
I won't live to see it but hope you live long enough to make the full transition...
..the universe is funny like that..
;-)

Dennis

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.