GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I can get another 1800, I have to get my wife a new car. I figure if I get a sporty convertible, the rest of the N. GA gang might still let me ride with 'em 'til I can get another 1800. The problem is that my wife wants a small car and I have long legs.

So, what is out there that might work. [Tell me about the mini, Bill.]

·
Registered
375 Posts
Long legs need not be a problem. My wife drives a convertible. Corvette convertible to be exact. The seats go back a long way.

As a bonus, almost no problem keeping up with the N GA gang in the twisties! :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
convertable

My wife is a little more conservative, She has a Chrysler, Sebring convertable. It seats four people and she loves it.

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
Audi TT is comfortable enough for 5'5" - 6' and very sporty feel. Good quality; classy vehicle. I have the 3.2 litre, 250 HP model; it has plenty of power. Also, it is NOT a car that everybody and their brother is driving... but it depends what you want to pay...you can also get a Toyota Solara for A LOT less and still have a sporty convertible that is dependable.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Looked at a Honda S2000? Got the legroom, if you don't mind getting close to the ground. And go like heck.

·
Registered
272 Posts
My wife has a 06 Toyota Solara convertabile white with beige top. Very nice car we took a 2000 mile trip this summer and it was great.
My wife has only driven Toyota since 1992 I have liked some but this is my favorite I would have went with the black metalic but oh well.

·
Registered
373 Posts
DDK -
Have I got a deal for you!
We're looking to sell our '01 Mercedes SLK230. That's the Mercedes hard-top convertible (the original that folds into the trunk). The good news is that it only has 12,100 miles on it. The bad news is - it's in Colorado.
But, I suppose if you came up here in July and we still have it, she could drive it home!
Anyway, I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam and it fits me okay. Thankfully, there is a seat height adjustment that gets me a bit off the floor.
Whatever you end up buying, know that it'll be fun.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'll second Notsluggo's recommendation on the Mercedes. I have a friend who's about 6-5 and drives his 230 all the time. Granted, he probably wishes he were 6' or under when he's driving it, but he says it's not bad at all.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Corvette all the way, friend has one. He took a 2500 mile trip with his wife in their Vette this summer and averaged 28 mpg at 70 to 80 mph most of the time.

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
Find a '99 Cobra 'Vert . Do, or have done, the inspection needed to establish little or no abuse. Any unit up to say 75K on the ticker. You will not be disapointed with the "Fun Factor".

I bought a triple black new in '99. You will be in awe of the handling characteristics of this machine.
I'm 6'2" and 250lbs, fit was great. It was better after a pair of Sport Recaro's and four point harnesses.

Bradford

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Skip the American rides , go with the Mercedes, a BMW or the Lexus convertable coupe. I'd pass on the toyota as well, great quality but over all known as a ho-hum sled, get your wife a quality ride that will be noticed. It pays hands down in the end. As an example, the 6 series bmw is smokin hot!

That slk230 mentioned is no shabby ride, nice class in a Bitchin lookin ride.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I've got one - I'm only 5'9", but it seems like it will handle a big fella!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
We are a convertible family!

We currently have

1) 1991 Miata

2) 2001 Toyota Solara

and had

3) A 2000 convertible Vette!

They each have their advantages as follows:

1) Miata - most "FUN FOR THE $$$$$" if you only need TWO seats.

2) Solara will seat 4 full grown adults and is probably one of the most RELIABLE FUN convertibles on the market.

3) The Vette is for those who NEED FUN + TWO SEATS!

My personal favorite was the VETTE, but I sold it to get back into motorcycles.

Best Regards,

Shane

·
Registered
255 Posts
White Gold said:
Corvette all the way, friend has one. He took a 2500 mile trip with his wife in their Vette this summer and averaged 28 mpg at 70 to 80 mph most of the time.
The SO and I have a 98 Corvette Pace Car, excellent road automobile, wind almost like a bike and great gas mileage (as long as you do not keep your foot in it ) but for crusing at 70 to 80, yes 28 mpg :D

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I am looking to sell my 57 Chevy for a Pontiac Solstice or Saturn Sky (same car different skin). I have never owned a vert....

·
Registered
75 Posts
lovetoride said:
Long legs need not be a problem. My wife drives a convertible. Corvette convertible to be exact. The seats go back a long way.

As a bonus, almost no problem keeping up with the N GA gang in the twisties! :D
As you can see from the sig I can't agree more. I'm 6/4 and have all the room I need. Must add verts are nice, but the vette coupe with the top stowed is just as nice :D

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'm 5'11" Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible fits me very will. Get the GT with the High Output tubro motor, lots of fun to drive.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts