GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started on my big trip for 2014. Dow to The Big Easy, New Orleans.

I'll be looking for someone to share a room with to keep costs down.

The trip for 2014 will be one week and not two. Just to hard to find people who can give up two weeks of their time for a motorcycle trip.

The trip will probably go some time around the middle of June. Leaving on a Saturday and probably returning the following Saturday. This date is flexable and could be changed a bit to accommodate.

Distance will be somewhere around 1,800 miles. That's only a 225 mile average each day. We ride every day, rain or shine, hot or cold. Some days are longer than others, it all depends on the number of stops and the amount of time at each stop.

I always put together an Excel spread sheet with mileage and costs. If anyone would like a copy just PM me with your e-mail.

Now none of this is written in stone, but here are the stops I have come up with so far. As you can see, my trips are not about miles, but more about stopping to see things along the way. A lot of the places I stop charge some sort of small fee to get in. Just part of the trip costs. If you have some place you would like to stop along the way we can add it.

Knoxville, TN
Marietta Dinner, Marietta, GA
World of Coke-Cola, Atlanta, GA
Roosevelt's Little White House H S, Warm Springs, GA
Civil War Naval Museum, Columbus, GA
Andersonville Museum, Oglethorpe, GA
US Army Aviation Museum, Fort Rucker, AL
USS Alabama Memorial Park, Mobile, AL
National World War II Museum, New Orleans, LA
New Orleans, New Orleans, LA
Red Bluff, Foxworth, MS
Natchez Trace, Natchez, MS
Biedenhorn Coca Cola Museum, Vicksburg, MS
Vicksburg National Military Park, Vicksburg, MS
Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum, Leeds, AL
Int'l Motorsports Hall of Fame, Lincoln, AL
Ave Maria Grotto, Cullman, AL
Chickamaunga Battle Field, Chickamaunga. Ga
National Medal of Honor Museum, Chattanooga, TN
Knoxville, TN

All I ask of anyone who wants to go is an easy going, go with the flow, kind of personality and reasonable riding skills.

Yours In Friendship
Burt

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Wow, Looks like you have planned a wonderful trip! I really like your list of places to visit.

But June is already sort of filled up for me.

I will copy this for future use.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Friendly advice- forget World of a Coca-Cola. Just a bunch of pictures backed up by 15 minute commercials they call documentaries. Can sample cokes from all over the world but they taste like .... Andersonville prison( and I'm assuming you 're talking about the PRISONER of War museum is in Andersonville. But it is thought humbling. Probably the GPS guys are playing a joke on you. :lol: If you go to Andersonville, don't waste your time going out to the site of the Confederate Prison site. Just a grassy field with a fence around it.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Looks like a nice trip. But keep this in mind: New Orleans is HOT and HUMID in the summer! I love going to New Orleans- went once in the summer- won't do that again!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Friendly advice- forget World of a Coca-Cola. Just a bunch of pictures backed up by 15 minute commercials they call documentaries. Can sample cokes from all over the world but they taste like .... Andersonville prison( and I'm assuming you 're talking about the PRISONER of War museum is in Andersonville. But it is thought humbling. Probably the GPS guys are playing a joke on you. :lol: If you go to Andersonville, don't waste your time going out to the site of the Confederate Prison site. Just a grassy field with a fence around it.
Thanks for the tips.

I assume you're talking about the Coke place in GA?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Burtsr when your tirp gets close post up when you think you will be in Alabama if i'm off we will try to hook up with you for a day ...............jduck

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Looks like an intersting trip!!

I would give it a good thought but I have already made plans for going to Alaska for 2 weeks this summer to help my neighbor start building his cabin.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Looks like a good trip. You should consider checking out the Rattlesnake Saloon on your way to Cullman IF you are in that area over the weekend. Here is their website. It's a popular rider's stop!! http://rattlesnakesaloon.net

Also near Cullman is the Natural Bridge park and the Houston jail (the oldest all wood jail in Alabama).

Safe riding.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
If you know the area then you will understand that this is a deal
http://www.travelzoo.com/local-deals/New-Orleans/Getaway/114699?utm_source=localdeal_us&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1759904_html_texas_deal:114699&utm_content=1759904&tz_adid=1759904

My personal favorites are the Dauphine Orleans or the Le Richelieu but if I thought I would be in the area I would have to look at this.

Enjoy the trip.

BTW - If you find your self in the Quarters, park the bike and walk or take a Taxi. They are cheap and a lot less risky that trying to ride a bike in an area where everyone is drinking.

·
Registered
129 Posts
This is something I would really enjoy. I already have a vacation planned for June and a trip to WV planned for July. Otherwise I would ride along. Next time you plan a trip like this please post.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts