GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm basically in Florida(well GA right now) heading to Key West and heading back to AZ on friday. Had the rear pads changed last week and since then they pulsate when braking at higher speeds. feels like I,m on a rumble strip for about 1-2 secs. Then if release quickly and put the brakes on again it isn't there. Lay off the brakes for about 10 secs and then brake again, it there, but goes away if I reapply again. Air? I had the brakes bled with the pads at about 25% left and this only started with the new pads.

Thoughs and any idea where a good shop would be with a phone number?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Very common occurrence for Goldwing brakes when riding in hot weather. In TX I have had to deal with the brake shudder all summer, very hot here. Once winter comes it all goes away! No expert here, but others have mentioned this same occurrence, and always seems hot weather associated. Randy

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I've had these same symtoms every time the brake pads were replaced, then disappeared a short time after. Just let up on the brakes then reapply.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
New pads not worn to the rotor yet.

Stone the rotor , will go away.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Very common occurrence for Goldwing brakes when riding in hot weather. In TX I have had to deal with the brake shudder all summer, very hot here. Once winter comes it all goes away! No expert here, but others have mentioned this same occurrence, and always seems hot weather associated. Randy
As txrandy has said this is a common occurrence for the Goldwing brake...if you used the front brake first & then the rear brake, the brake shudder will not happen...at least that is what I have found, and cold weather will also stop this..great post txrandy:yes1:

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
My 06 does this every summer. I just press harder on the pedal and it stops the pulsating.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thx, I live in AZ and this is the first time it's happened. Bartman, will call tomorrow. Well if i'm in Jax, then I should do a BBG on the way home...

·
Registered
828 Posts
Sorry for your problem, I have never had this happen to me before. I just changed my front and rear brakes. I used a one man bleeder that used an air compressor to remove all fluid from the lines. After first sucking out the old in the master cylinders and replacing with new. I then had the wife do the old style pump and hold while I opened the bleeder valves. Went for a ride tonight, brakes are rock solid with no shudder. I would bleed them again.

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts