GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to have a bluetooth device that will connect to the bike's audio system with wires and simply pair to my cell phone so that my passenger and myself can talk on it while staying wired to the bike with our existing Edsets. Not looking for bluetooth headsets. I'm thinking of taking my little bluetooth earpiece apart and hard wire it into the bikes audio system, I think the mic circuit would be the biggest challenge. Any ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
If I might suggest, contact Jon and Kennedy Technologies. I would be willing to bet he would have the perfect solution for you. I'm thinking the MuseSet2 will be the solution you're looking for, but I'm not 100% sure.

http://www.cellset.com/

·
Registered
827 Posts
I'm sure there is a reason why it hasnt been done before but I always wondered why a Bluetooth cant be just line tapped into the 5pin connector on the bike. I know there is an inline adapter for running earbuds from the 5pin so why not one for the ear and mic ? Someone here will probably explain it to me but with my understanding of electronics I probably wont understand it anyway. Go for it techdude!

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sure there is a reason why it hasnt been done before but I always wondered why a Bluetooth cant be just line tapped into the 5pin connector on the bike. I know there is an inline adapter for running earbuds from the 5pin so why not one for the ear and mic ? Someone here will probably explain it to me but with my understanding of electronics I probably wont understand it anyway. Go for it techdude!
We are thinking along the same lines. My little bluetooth earpiece only cost me $25 and that included the charger. I don't see why it would cost much more to make a unit or adapt one to the wings wiring. I know there is always the issue of impedance matching the mic and speaker circuits so there's no loss of sound level or quality. That could be done with a simple amplifier circuit and the controls for the unit, like the volume and the hook switch signals could be tied into the unused CB switches. Even the power for it could be tapped from a USB charger and the aux power circuit. Maybe Larry and I can put our heads together and work something out.:shrug:

·
Registered
827 Posts
Ok in the perfect world I want to keep my cb working too so put the volume and the hook switch button on the 5 pin inline adapter. It would be handy to reach right there by the glovebox. Dreaming of One small inline unit with the Bluetooth, volume, and switches all tucked neatly in the tube. 5 pin male out one side and 5 pin female out the other. Easy peasy!

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok in the perfect world I want to keep my cb working too so put the volume and the hook switch button on the 5 pin inline adapter. It would be handy to reach right there by the glovebox. Dreaming of One small inline unit with the Bluetooth, volume, and switches all tucked neatly in the tube. 5 pin male out one side and 5 pin female out the other. Easy peasy!
I like it, but it would cost a lot more. Any time you start messing with those 5 pin cables it can get pricey. Maybe take a inline passenger controller apart and adapt it.:cool:

·
Registered
827 Posts
Ok , how bout putting the bluetooth in the glove box which, on my 2012, already has the volume controlled mini stereo plug for the sound and power to run the Bluetooth. Now all you have to do it figure out how to get a mike wire from some kind of a plug and play 5 pin adapter to the Mic portion of the Bluetooth. The key word there is plug and play! Of course this would mean if im listening to my ipod in the trunk I would have to punch the aux switch to the mini jack to use the phone but that's not a big deal. If I was on the ipod I probably wouldn't be able to hear the ring but I can feel the buzz on my belt when I get a call. Just kickin ideas here.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I want to have a bluetooth device that will connect to the bike's audio system with wires and simply pair to my cell phone so that my passenger and myself can talk on it while staying wired to the bike with our existing Edsets. Not looking for bluetooth headsets. I'm thinking of taking my little bluetooth earpiece apart and hard wire it into the bikes audio system, I think the mic circuit would be the biggest challenge. Any ideas are welcome.
TECHDUE2000, I tried to find the write up on CUSTOM BLUETOOTH project that was done back in 2012 but seems not here anymore, maybe in the archives. I wish I could find the pictures along with the thread on this subject. But anyway it may be what you are looking for.
I bought a MOTOROLA T325 hands free car kit from Amazon. I modified the T325 so that I could interface the unit into the bike intercom system. I now have a BLUETOOTH connection with my phone, sorry no music as the T325 does not support that feature.
My total investment was around $75.00.
Dennie

·
Registered
154 Posts
I like it, but it would cost a lot more. Any time you start messing with those 5 pin cables it can get pricey. Maybe take a inline passenger controller apart and adapt it.:cool:
Techdude2000,

For cables , look at using a MIDI cable , pronounced MID EE .. Same plug config, cheap and can be found at any music store in the keyboard department.
Working on my own solution in full blue tooth ( stereo aux/xm/usb/radio/gps) dual mono for the CB, where the rider and pillion have independent cell connection. Using Chinese BT Interphones, still in the works so nothing really to show.

Good luck with it .

·
Registered
144 Posts
techdude2000;

Working on a solution. Tested a prototype 3 nights ago. Wired a BT headset transceiver to my GW's audio system, paired it to my iPhone, and made a call. Audio received from the party called was perfect. At the other end of the conversation, the called party said my voice's volume was low and the quality was poor, but he could understand me just fine. However, I was using an old J&M wired headset with a dynamic mic. Pretty sure when I try it with a better wired headset that has an electret mic, my voice will be remarkably better, perhaps even good enough.

The BT headset transceiver I used costs too much to make this a realistic solution; so, tonight I ordered a Sony SBH20 BT adapter to see if I can get it to work well. If successful, this solution would cost about $45 to produce and retail for about $90. My question to you: Is that a price you think riders would be willing to pay for this capability? Trying to see if there's a market for such a solution.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Currently I've modified a Scala rider G9 by changing the audio in jack to an audio out, mounted it on a custom bracket just above the left side Cb controls. Working on a head set cable adaptor allowing full bike intercom, stereo, Kennedy cell set and ham radio adaptors and allow scala connection to others I ride with frequently who don't have Cb, ham, frs, or Gmrs capacity.
I am using Edset's helmet speakers and Mike in the helmets so I don't want to give up all the rest just to mount the G9 into the helmet.

·
Registered
827 Posts
techdude2000;

Working on a solution. Tested a prototype 3 nights ago. Wired a BT headset transceiver to my GW's audio system, paired it to my iPhone, and made a call. Audio received from the party called was perfect. At the other end of the conversation, the called party said my voice's volume was low and the quality was poor, but he could understand me just fine. However, I was using an old J&M wired headset with a dynamic mic. Pretty sure when I try it with a better wired headset that has an electret mic, my voice will be remarkably better, perhaps even good enough.

The BT headset transceiver I used costs too much to make this a realistic solution; so, tonight I ordered a Sony SBH20 BT adapter to see if I can get it to work well. If successful, this solution would cost about $45 to produce and retail for about $90. My question to you: Is that a price you think riders would be willing to pay for this capability? Trying to see if there's a market for such a solution.
I paid $80 bucks to get a Yamaha Venture mic input from edsets to my zumo550 a while back so I could use its Bluetooth feature. I don't think $90 is unreasonable but would that include the sony sbh20bt? I looked it up and it's a nice small little unit I didnt see it was waterproof so it would have to be placed somewhere out of the rain and then could you access it to answer the call? It also doesn't do voice dialing so could Siri place a call for you? Ive heard the Jabra Clipper at around $30 is rain resistant and will allow you to place calls. I'm sure there are others.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Ok Techdude, You've got me still thinking about his " Simple" solution to connect the phone. Why do we even need Bluetooth involved? If you can use the headphones ( two speakers and the mic) that come with the IPhone why couldn't you just hard wire that into the Goldwing system? I have my phone on a ram mount on the handlebar anyway since I prefer it's gps for a quick motel or restaurant find so it would be no more problem to just plug the mini jack into the phone. Any reason why this would not work?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok Techdude, You've got me still thinking about his " Simple" solution to connect the phone. Why do we even need Bluetooth involved? If you can use the headphones ( two speakers and the mic) that come with the IPhone why couldn't you just hard wire that into the Goldwing system? I have my phone on a ram mount on the handlebar anyway since I prefer it's gps for a quick motel or restaurant find so it would be no more problem to just plug the mini jack into the phone. Any reason why this would not work?
It might, but the impedance of the mic would have to match the mic line of the wing or you would get very low mic audio out to your caller. I don't have an expensive smart phone, I'm too cheap, I have just a little pay as you go flip phone that works great with voice dialing and bluetooth. My wife has an iPhone, but there's no way she will let me cut up her headset.:eek:4:

·
Registered
827 Posts
It might, but the impedance of the mic would have to match the mic line of the wing or you would get very low mic audio out to your caller. I don't have an expensive smart phone, I'm too cheap, I have just a little pay as you go flip phone that works great with voice dialing and bluetooth. My wife has an iPhone, but there's no way she will let me cut up her headset.:eek:4:
The mic would be whatever mic you have on your helmet. My mic is the Edsets 2g. Do you think this cable would work if you cut off the female end and hard wired it right into your 5 pin Microphone, L speaker and R speaker?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4Pole-4way-3Ring-3-5mm-M-F-TRRS-iPhone-4-headset-1-8-extension-cable-2-5FT-/221217584759?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3381987677
It seems there isn't a lot of interest in this thread besides you and I so it looks like we are the only ones that think this would be handy to have.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The mic would be whatever mic you have on your helmet. My mic is the Edsets 2g. Do you think this cable would work if you cut off the female end and hard wired it right into your 5 pin Microphone, L speaker and R speaker?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4Pole-4way-3Ring-3-5mm-M-F-TRRS-iPhone-4-headset-1-8-extension-cable-2-5FT-/221217584759?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3381987677
It seems there isn't a lot of interest in this thread besides you and I so it looks like we are the only ones that think this would be handy to have.
This could give you some trouble since you would be tying the speaker output of the phone to the speaker output of the bikes headset amp. You may have to use an isolation transformer to couple the 2 outputs to the helmet.

·
Registered
144 Posts

Was successful today in talking with my J&M wired headset with my BT phone using a BT adapter wired to my GW's audio system. Audio quality during phone calls, both talking and listening, was perfect, loud & clear.

How it works is incredibly simple. I used the very same harness I created for a different problem that is now sold by Sierra Electronics (http://www.sierra-mc.com/products.asp?cat=539). But, instead of connecting it to the rider's headset connector under the left pocket box, I connected it to the passenger's headset connector under the seat. This allows the GW's intercom circuits to serve as a buffer to integrate the phone to the audio system. Then, I paired my BT phone to the bike's Sena SMH10 attached to this harness.

Now, the downside: The harness costs $100 at Sierra Electronics and a Sena SMH10 transceiver module costs $110 on Amazon. So, the total cost is $210. A lot of $ to talk on your BT phone while riding your GW.

The good news: Another closely related project I'm working on is to find a cheaper BT unit to replace the Sena SMH10, one that doesn't need a helmet clamp to provide access to the unit's audio-out and mic circuits. I have one, just delivered last week, and I'll be testing it soon. If successful, this BT adapter/harness combo would retail for approximately $90.

I need input from you GW riders, with wired headsets who want to talk on your BT phone when riding your GW, as to whether a $90 BT adapter would make you pull the trigger and buy one. If not, this project is over.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
In my humble opinion, Bluetooth is ok for hearing the phone conversation, but I have never had a good transmit over Bluetooth. The wired setup connecting with the bike audio would be the best shot for clear voice transmission from the helmet headset.

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
:roll::roll: MY I 5 WORKS GREAT ON OUT GOING CALLS ON BT - HAVE SENA - GOOD PHONE / GOOD BT = GOOD RESULTS !:bow::bow: DONT NEED NO DAM WIRES !!;)

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Was successful today in talking with my J&M wired headset with my BT phone using a BT adapter wired to my GW's audio system. Audio quality during phone calls, both talking and listening, was perfect, loud & clear.

How it works is incredibly simple. I used the very same harness I created for a different problem that is now sold by Sierra Electronics (http://www.sierra-mc.com/products.asp?cat=539). But, instead of connecting it to the rider's headset connector under the left pocket box, I connected it to the passenger's headset connector under the seat. This allows the GW's intercom circuits to serve as a buffer to integrate the phone to the audio system. Then, I paired my BT phone to the bike's Sena SMH10 attached to this harness.

Now, the downside: The harness costs $100 at Sierra Electronics and a Sena SMH10 transceiver module costs $110 on Amazon. So, the total cost is $210. A lot of $ to talk on your BT phone while riding your GW.

The good news: Another closely related project I'm working on is to find a cheaper BT unit to replace the Sena SMH10, one that doesn't need a helmet clamp to provide access to the unit's audio-out and mic circuits. I have one, just delivered last week, and I'll be testing it soon. If successful, this BT adapter/harness combo would retail for approximately $90.

I need input from you GW riders, with wired headsets who want to talk on your BT phone when riding your GW, as to whether a $90 BT adapter would make you pull the trigger and buy one. If not, this project is over.
Boy! Sena really is proud of the $30 worth of electronics it takes to build that. :shock: Pedro was telling me they are going to have something similar to what I want pretty soon. I'm still keeping my eyes open.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts