GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess its true Stupid Hurts......

I was just doing a check on the bike prior to my up coming ride and noticed I will need rear brake pads prior to my trip back to New Jersey. Probably not going to find a dealer near Knoxville not being busy with Wing-Ding in town. I was thinking of trying
Mountain Motorsports
3422 Adventure Ln
Kodak, TN 37764-1973
(865)932-7433
to see if they can do it, any other suggestions if they cant or is there a better route to go......

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
There are a few Large Dealerships within a 3 hour ride but you will not get them until Tuesday. Check the Vendors at Wing Ding, it might take a combination of someone mounting tires and another selling brake pads but with some dealing you might get it done there.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
You could probably replace them yourself with the toolkit on the bike. Of course it would take a little more to grease slider points and clean the caliper pistons. How many miles on the pads?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
You can change them yourself, someone at Wing Ding will be selling pads. Go to Walmart and get a can of spray brake cleaner and a toothbrush. Lay the bike on it's side and remove the rear wheel. If the rear is bad probably the front linked caliper side needs to be replaced also. The torque on the rear wheel lug nut is 80 ft lbs. I don't think you will get this with the stock tool kit. If you can't get the torque close to that do not try it.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts

I see you've got this covered with another post..

Dennis

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
If you are mechanically minded, I would pick up the pads and a metric allen wrench kit and throw them in the saddle bag. If you need them on the way home, do it your self. You can do the front in 20 minutes, same on the rear on a pad only changeout. They would have to be awfully thin to not get you home, downshift more and save the pads if needed.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
There is a small dealer in LaFollette (~40 miles from Knoxville). Claims he has a 'wing mechanic. I've not used them, though. There is only one dealer in Knoxville, and I wouldn't give them a chance at my money. They also own both Harley dealerships in town. Mountain (only about 20 miles from Ktown) is the biggest nearby, but I suspect they will be very busy. There is also a 'wing shop in town - East Tennessee Goldwings. Suspect they will be busy, too. Richie in Athens is the next closest - about 60 miles. I'd do it myself - before I go!

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
There is a small dealer in LaFollette (~40 miles from Knoxville). Claims he has a 'wing mechanic. I've not used them, though. There is only one dealer in Knoxville, and I wouldn't give them a chance at my money. They also own both Harley dealerships in town. Mountain (only about 20 miles from Ktown) is the biggest nearby, but I suspect they will be very busy. There is also a 'wing shop in town - East Tennessee Goldwings. Suspect they will be busy, too. Richie in Athens is the next closest - about 60 miles. I'd do it myself - before I go!
Pid have you been to Honda Of Knoxville lately?

They are operating under new management and doing a good job. They have 2 great wing mechanics Buddy and Phil.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
ROOSTER is going to fix Robert up with pads and instulation

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts