GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this site and new to Gold Wings. Just bought a 2007 Comf/Nav. I know this will solicit a broad range of options but need opinions on what acc. I really should purchase prior to delivery. I'm thinking ---front & rear light modulaters Kison, OEM passenger arm rests, OEM foglights & protectors, Utopia back rest. , dealer recommends LED light trim for trunk & Bags. I also really need to know what headsets I should purchase to allow communication with SO. This is a great site and I've enjoyed reading all the posts. COLD IN BOSTON

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
If I were you I would go for the safety and comfort increasing accessories of your choice first. You can always add farkles like LED trim, neon, extra chrome, or an endless variety of other addons etc. etc. later if your thing is bling. Oh yeah, congrats on the new ride.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I agree with Leojmac with the safety items,but wait on adding with the other things will add beauty to it.
Our sponsor(this board) has sales a couple times a years with great prices,the other sponsors that help us with our problems , also have great sales when you look at there web sites.
Just slow down and think what I really need first as your mind will go crazy fast on WHATS NEXT TO ADD.
If you take your time and read the past posted info that the us folks ask the same question ,you will get a lot of good tips.
As far as headsets,look at Edsets to start with. Have had other head sets,but wounding installing the edsets to correct the problems I had .
Have fun and ride safe
Edmund

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Welcome Leo,
What kind of riding are you going to do? If your headed out for cross country adventures a backrest, highway pegs and Kury iso grips top my list. Again, if you are headed across county don't leave home without a GWRRA Gold Book. Hope you never need it for anything besides restaurant recomendations and ride advise.
Are you going to ride with other Gold Wingers? A CB makes it a whole lot more fun.
When we bought our first Wing we bought Hondaline headsets which I figured would be the best..............they were junk built to Honda's specifications by J&M. We soon bought some better J&Ms and have use them ever since.
The other things important are GOOD, COMFORTABLE helmets and good sliks to wear between your head and your helmet. The comfort of the Wing will enable you to ride more and longer than you have in the pastI hope you never need them for anything other than carrying your headsets but you dress for the slide not the ride.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
-front & rear light modulaters Kison, OEM passenger arm rests, OEM foglights & protectors, Utopia back rest. , dealer recommends LED light trim for trunk & Bags. I also really need to know what headsets I should purchase to allow communication with SO.

As said before, SAFTEY items first. I rode one time with someone that had the brake modulator and as soon as our ride was over, I went the Honda shop and bought one. They do catch the attention of the person following you (SAFTEY) I bought my wing new (2006) and before I picked it up the foglights were put on. (SAFTEY) I also had the the back rest put on. We do long distance riding and I can't ride long without the back rest. But that's something you need to know if you can do without. I would also not ride without a C.B. on my wing either. As far as the headsets, I went with the clampless J&M's. We've found they are better than the ones that clamp on the side of the helmets. They cost a little more, but, you get what you pay for. The other comfort item we added was the arm rests for her. That was her only request.
Congrads on the new wing and since you live so close to Pa. Hope to cross paths one on these nice spring summer or fall days.

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
Backrest is a must and armrests for passenger. Handlebar risers if you need them. Kury Iso grips and Cruise boards or pegs for those long trips. And a Tulsa belly pan to protect the reservoir. I have the J&M headsets, but others prefer other brands. Then start on the chrome!!! and lights! Welcome to the forum and enjoy your ride!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Welcome to the world...

Somethings I did right away:

Kury road pegs
Ed Sets for audio
Garmin Nav w/ram mount
XM radio w/ram mount
Chrome to cover the gray
Fog lights

Some things I did after 2000 miles

Wingsoft seat
more chrome
bags for trunk and saddles
painted the from cowl and lower exhaust covers to match the bike
Tulsa Pan
Risers

What I plan on:

Don't know

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Look at the bike at night, on stand/ lights on/and from the side. Then u decide! From the side view it is pretty dark. Never could understand big bikes being lite up as a kid, becuase i never saw them at night. Now i am one of them. Check Hals site for a nice LED side/ and rear reflector set replacements. Opera lites over the valve covers does add more! Trunk side lites then. My 2 cents, if a spoiler with lite is put on, use the spoiler lite as brake only. When used for light and brake, people just do not pay attention to it when brake lites up. Rhode behind others and did the same. Brake lite off and then lite on, does catch the eye of a "change of view". The list is long, and a personal choice, enjoy!

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Congrats on the Wing and welcome to the board.

Unless you have spent some time on a wing, I would hold off on anything seat related. There are a bunch of people earning a living by selling seat modifications, and replacements. I bought a Utopia, but replaced the seat before I ever did the install. Lewis makes some good lights that bring notice to the bike, and he is here to answer any questions, and resolve any issues. I had the dealer add footpegs for the ride home, but most others acc's have come from Lewis, or HDL.

Good luck and enjoy the ride

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
LeoJMac said:
...need opinions on what acc. I really should purchase prior to delivery...
IMHO, don't purchase anything. Ride the bike for a while, break it in properly, and get use to it.

If you can perform even minor mechanical tasks, purchase a service manual first then the accessories later and install them yourself.

Good luck and enjoy the new bike!

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
My bike was stock for some time before I added things. The order and why:

Utopia Backrest: Made the miles more comfortable

Baker Hand/Mirrot Wings: Helped Gwyn with buffeting and cold riding

Armrests: Didn't want Gwyn falling off when sleeping :lol:

Tulsa Adjustable windshield w/vent: Gwyn won it in a contest. I like it so far.

Wingleader Transformer board/pegs: Makes Gwyn more comfortable with different foot postions.

Shopping list: Edsets (so I can hear how happy Gwyn is); Mic Mutes (so I hear even better how happy Gwyn is); pin stripping by Sue Hopper (want to know which is mine at CC); Mic-a-Pegs (I want to have different foot positions); heated seat (Gwyn doesn't like a cold backside). What does this say...if she ain't happy I'm freaking miserable.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I waited for a couple weeks so that i could become more familiar with the bike and its standard appointments. There are a lot of after market products, some functional and some just for looks. You may want to start with the functional first for comfort and then add the bling as you decide what special look you would like. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree

I'm like you teaser. I love the solid black. The only chrome I want is what's on it now. I do however want the backrest whenever I can get down to get it installed and would like the Chrome Front Disk Brake Cover. That just about does it for me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
THANK YOU TO ALL!!!

Thanks to all for the advice. I'm going with safety first (light modulator etc.), ride for a while and then decide on the bling. As for the question what type of riding am I going to do. At first fairly short (100 Miles or so) then some overnighters. I'm based in Boston so New Hampshire, Maine & Vermont will probably be the rides during the spring and summer then .....??, Once again thanks for the advice and opinions it helped make my decisions a bit easier.

·
Registered
20 Posts
for safety good helmet also for comfort. side lights for safety kur.l.e.d. front reflector conversion stealth l.e.d. light bar muth mirrors are real nice backrest for your comfort. ED sets,air rider,J&M all good. $$$$$$$$$$ CHROME.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
http://hondadirectlineusa.com/

Install most of the stuff yourself and save big money.

Fog Lights i would go with Electrical Connections, not Hondaline.

You might want to have them install the Honda CB for you.

All the rest of the stuff, I would wait till you visit a few bike get together s and see and talk about what you like and don't like.
Come out to Cats-Cade and visit with us. http://www.cats-cade.org

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Belly pan. Keeps the rocks and anything else you might hit from smacking the oil and coolant "parts"

Fog lights. Lets you see both sides of the road so you dont hit critters or "stuff" at night.

Rear spoiler with brake light. Keeps you VERY visable when braking.

Get a trailer!!!! Not enough room in the trunk or bags to keep all the "stuff" you will want on a trip.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Fog lights from EC....I like the LED myself (less wattage but plenty visable).

CB...if you plan to ride with others with a CB.

Wingleader passenger rests (not really boards cause you retain the stock boards (the best feature about them), and the fact they cost way less than the Kury boards. Look good and your passenge will love them....trust me!

Skip the headlight modulators, just not my thing, and it's just my opinion, but I think they are goofy. to each his own!

Spoiler with brake light or..... running and brake light(up to you). Good look and more visability factor.

I like the Edsets......cause I hate the clamp! J&M has clampless ones also.
I reccommend avoiding the clamp.

Al these can be installed yourself if you're so inclined.

Welcome aboard......you just bought the starter kit!!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts