GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an android phone and was thinking of buying a used iPhone so I can access the Apple car play.
Will any iPhone work with the Goldwing?
Do I have to have a phone or data plan to activate a phone to use with the Goldwing.
This Apple car play has me confused of what I need to make it work.
I know I do not want to get another phone number or phone plan.
Any suggestions on where to start?

·
Love The DCT
12,020 Posts
I have an android phone and was thinking of buying a used iPhone so I can access the Apple car play.
Do I have to have a phone or data plan to activate a phone to use with the Goldwing.
iPhone 5 or later, iOS 10 or later. (See page 92 in the owner’s manual.)

:doorag:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
The whole idea behind Apple Car Play and Android auto is that your phone's display is duplicated on the vehicle's display. You don't need a data plan for that. But for most things other than something like playing mp3's from your phone, most apps require a data connection. It all boils down to what you want to do.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes! It's a real suggestion! You must have data plan - You must have internet connection online for keep online Google map, Waze and Apple map. No need big volume for calls, but date must be around 1-2 Gb for month!
iPhone start from 5s and iOS up 12.0!!!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Flyboy I'am with you would like to use that carplay but I have wrong phone very little know how on how it all works ( I had 9 min. usage on my phone last month) I just switched my plan T-Mobile Senior and have unlimited talk and data 2 lines $70 a month, can I buy a iphone and use this plan to get car play to work ?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Flyboy I'am with you would like to use that carplay but I have wrong phone very little know how on how it all works ( I had 9 min. usage on my phone last month) I just switched my plan T-Mobile Senior and have unlimited talk and data 2 lines $70 a month, can I buy a iphone and use this plan to get car play to work ?
If you buy a used phone, no matter the network it was on, they must unlock the phone for all networks.You can probably find and older I-phone for a decent price on ebay

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you buy a used phone, no matter the network it was on, they must unlock the phone for all networks.You can probably find and older I-phone for a decent price on ebay

I was looking for iPhone on the internet and the ones that said "unlocked" said they would not use Verizon, which is what I have on my current phone. So I guess I would have to get a phone that worked with Verizon or maybe just another phone altogether.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am using my daughters old I phone 6. All I did was put in a new sim card and diverted all my calls to the new number. When I ride the golding I put my Samsung phone on airplane mode, so all calls are diverted to the I phone. I also used I tunes to copy all my music and contacts to the I phone. Car play also stores favorites for contacts which is a breeze to use. I also download maps for up to 3 months on the iPhone using wifi, so no need for data.
I purchased airtime for R29.00 (about 2 dollars) and it is still lasting, over a month now.
Make it work, apple car play is the best feature of this bike, tech wise.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a Tmobile Iphone 7plus 128gig that is near perfect condition that you have for $250. My wifes new job gave her a phone and we don't need it anymore. I was just about to sell it to Gazelle.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
If you buy a Iphone from TracPhone you can go with there service, I pay 84.00 a year for service.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
I remember reading about this earlier. My plan was to buy an old Crapple phone and use WI-FI to connect to my Android Phone mobile hot spot. Then you wouldn't need a data plan for the iphone - it wouldn't need to be activated on any network at all, you'd just be using the data plan on your Android phone. If I couldn't do it that way I wouldn't do it at all. Hopefully Android Auto is an option when I get a GL1833.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Walmart had the Apple iPhone 6 on Black Friday for 99.99. I picked one up, the regular price is 149.99. They claim they are "reconditioned" but mine was absolutely brand new, not a scratch on it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I went and gave my samsung phone to the lady and bought myself an iphone 10R. I've been android for about 10 years but the new 10R is pretty darn good. I ended up getting the apple watch and the headphones as well. Everything works together so well, and these days, that's all i want.

Anyway, point of the story is that i switched to apple for the goldwing but come to find i really like their products.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Any iPhone after the iPhone 5c should be fine. The 5C cannot be updated to the latest operating software. Exception to this is DON'T buy the new iPhone XS Xr or Xs Max. These 3 phones are plagued with poor reception issues. I have the XS and my 5C got better reception. The Apple customer site is full of customers complaining about this. When I have the XS connected for CarPlay it often looses signal while riding. The worst case for these models is in areas of fringe reception. Other models will get a decreased signal but these 3 new ones will loose signal. I spent a LOT of money on the XS and am not very happy..... I would suggest a iPhone 8 or iPhone X.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Any iPhone after the iPhone 5c should be fine. The 5C cannot be updated to the latest operating software. Exception to this is DON'T buy the new iPhone XS Xr or Xs Max. These 3 phones are plagued with poor reception issues. I have the XS and my 5C got better reception. The Apple customer site is full of customers complaining about this. When I have the XS connected for CarPlay it often looses signal while riding. The worst case for these models is in areas of fringe reception. Other models will get a decreased signal but these 3 new ones will loose signal. I spent a LOT of money on the XS and am not very happy..... I would suggest a iPhone 8 or iPhone X.
My XR is fine, even after the newest update which apparently was the cause of signal issues. Never had signal issues anywhere where i didn't have issues with other phones ( I use Tmobile). It is an awesome phone, the best I had since the original Google Nexus.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts