GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plan to leave early April (????) from Toronto to do a 2 week trip in Mexico. Anyone have ideas about the best (and fast towards warmer weather) route to Laredo, which will likely be my entry point into Mexico. I want to beeline south as in early April we could still have pretty cold temps.
Any tips would be welcome,
John

·
Registered
260 Posts
>>>>Laredo, which will likely be my entry point into Mexico.<<<<

I used to love visiting Laredo. Its not that far away, but with all the cops vs drug guys vs their army vs tourists crap going on as of late, I will wait awhile.

·
Premium Member
19,868 Posts
Get a passport. No GPS? OK just do mapquest from Canada to Laredo. Be aware crime has been very high in Nueve Laredo, Mexico. This was my path on the Border 2 Border but in reverse last labor day(Mexico to Canada) It was all interstate. If you are not in a hurry go backroads.
I personally would not go deep into Mexico as a solo rider.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Point taken RE violence, especially in border towns and especially in Laredo. Maybe I should be thinking about another entry point, maybe Brownsville or McAllen, Del Rio or El Paso. Any tips?
BTW Iaen, what was your route between Canada and Laredo? Did you go mostly #75? And how about between Knoxville and the MX border?
Cheers,
John

·
Registered
34 Posts
John, Laen and I did the Border to Border ride in 2005 when the route was from Laredo to the Canadian border at Pembina, North Dakota. The Border to Border ride for 2006 was from Laredo to Windsor. It was basically the fastest straight line route following the interstates the whole way. The website for the ride was www.b2b2006.com but for whatever reason, I cannot pull it up now.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Plan to leave early April (????) from Toronto to do a 2 week trip in Mexico
Can't tell you much about the lower portion but I head south all the time.

Instead of 401 to Windsor, use 402 to Sarnia, the I69 south towards Indianapolis. Less traffic and you avoid Detroit altogether.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Bobb, for the tip to avoid Detroit.
Seems to me that the route to Cinncinnati on 75 makes the most sense, but then there are some options after that. Not sure which would be best.
John

·
Registered
21 Posts
Use to drive this route weekly in the 18 wheeler from Ft Wayne ,In....I69 to Indy , I65 down to Birmingham,Al..I59 to I10 north side of New Orleans , west to either highway 59 out of Houston,Tx or continue on I 10 to San Antonio then south on I 35 to Laredo...Texas 59 is lot of two lane but not a bad road to make time on......John

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oKAY, i GET IT NOW... GO EAST ON 69 to Lansing, and stay on 69 going south from there down to Indy...
Thanks,
What's 69 like to drive?
John

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Bobb...
Is Laredo a good entry point or should I be looking at Del Rio? Some sceptics have suggested Laredo is too dangerous.
Anyone with experience on that?
John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts