GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 2018 tour dct. I'm looking for something to hold a water bottle (like in the link). I will not use it for cups. I am taking a trip in a few weeks from Ny to florida and never thought it would be so hard to find something that doesn't cost a ridiculous amount of $$. I don't want to spend $50-80 on a holder setup . I will probably only use it this one time. I don't normally need one cause I'm usually on short trips. But, the way the country is now with the heat wave, i want to be prepared. I do not want a camelbak or anything that goes on my back. I don't care if it only lasts for the trip if it is cheap. I just can't see a way to mount without getting that ball mount from ciro for $30 , then of course another who knows how much for the holder.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I got a RAM-B-408-75-1U mount and put it on the left side and installed a RAM-B-132BU level cup holder on it. Holds bottled water or cans. Suits me fine. From Amazon both were $50 which is right near your lower limit. If interested I can post a pic of what mine looks like.

·
Premium Member
Honda DCT Goldwing 2020, Matte Black and Red!
1,486 Posts
Personally, I feel hydration is fundamental necessity while riding, weather short trips or cross county, your body needs hydration. Example- at 94 degress with a mesh jacket you could evaporate 49 oz. of water every 6 hours. If you don't want to spend money on a cup holder. Buy a small ice chest and put ice and water bottles in it. Then strap it to the passenger seat.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got a RAM-B-408-75-1U mount and put it on the left side and installed a RAM-B-132BU level cup holder on it. Holds bottled water or cans. Suits me fine. From Amazon both were $50 which is right near your lower limit. If interested I can post a pic of what mine looks like.
That would be great if you could post the pic. I have the ram ball mount with a x mount cell phone holder on my vtx. i just don't see where to mount the thing on the handlebars (especially since it's intended use is for round diameter ones)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
Honda DCT Goldwing 2020, Matte Black and Red!
1,486 Posts
Thank you. They have a few size options for the handlebars. One option is for goldwing but it doesn't say what years. Are the older models flat bars too?
No, they are different. Here is some I use.
Font Audio equipment Screenshot Magenta Electric blue
Automotive exterior Engineering Screenshot Font Machine

·
Registered
2021 6 speed Wing, 2021 Kawasaki Z900RS, 2019 Road Glide
2,618 Posts
We can't post ebay links, but this is as cheap as it gets: Item # 294969284611. I have one on my Z900RS and it is adequate, but on my touring bikes I have a Butler and a Big Ass Drink holder.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I've been looking for some kind of bottle holder that doesn't hold the bottle right up in the rider's face like he's a paraplegic.

• Haha
Reactions: Drgsin

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I mounted a bicycle water bottle holder to the handle bar using longer bolts and spacers in the brake perch clamp.
Purchased at my local Walmart for less then $10,

In it I use a $5 Dick's Sports 32oz water bottle with built in straw. Just did 9,000 miles in 3 weeks sipping all the way.

Also hold McDs cups and Yeti tumblers.

·
Registered
2022 Blackwing Tour 6sp, Harley CVO Ultra - NW Chicago Burbs
326 Posts
I got the entire ball mount and holder from Ciro (Big Ass) for $50 I think. Its very much worth it.

Reactions: Rick5

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
FWIW, My wife has the Big Ass drink holder on her arm rest. We lost 2 bottles while on our tour to Alaska. They bounced out. Probably when going over frost heaves.
The bicycle holder held the bottles firmly.

·
Registered
2022 Blackwing Tour 6sp, Harley CVO Ultra - NW Chicago Burbs
326 Posts
FWIW, My wife has the Big Ass drink holder on her arm rest. We lost 2 bottles while on our tour to Alaska. They bounced out. Probably when going over frost heaves.
The bicycle holder held the bottles firmly.
Imho, no matter what cupholder you buy, it's important that the water bottle fits snuggly. I buy those insulated Hydro Flask 21 oz and 24 oz, and they fit the normal sized Big Ass like a glove. And, they stay cold all day long.

·
Registered
2021 Goldwing Tour 6 MT
257 Posts
Thinking outside of the box, what about a small hydration backpack? If you are traveling in heat, you could add a small amount of ice and it seems that that would help keep you cool while supplying water.

And no need to modify the bike. Just use it when you need it.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I mounted a bicycle water bottle holder to the handle bar using longer bolts and spacers in the brake perch clamp.
Purchased at my local Walmart for less then $10,

In it I use a $5 Dick's Sports 32oz water bottle with built in straw. Just did 9,000 miles in 3 weeks sipping all the way.

Also hold McDs cups and Yeti tumblers.
Winner! Frugal Master Gold Medal. 😀

The only cheaper option I can imagine than the above is a piece of heavy gauge insulated copper wire jury-rigged to the handlebar. (Super cheap, super awful.) 🤣

Tim

1 - 20 of 49 Posts