GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
Honda DCT Goldwing 2020, Matte Black and Red!
1,486 Posts
I've been looking for some kind of bottle holder that doesn't hold the bottle right up in the rider's face like he's a paraplegic.
Easier to sip without hands, rightside.

·
Registered
275 Posts
That would be great if you could post the pic. I have the ram ball mount with a x mount cell phone holder on my vtx. i just don't see where to mount the thing on the handlebars (especially since it's intended use is for round diameter ones)
Automotive tire Light Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Rim

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
I paid $4 for this bag at the Army Surplus Store. Hung it on the passenger grab rail of my 2009.

Perhaps there's a place to hang it on the 2018 model. It holds a 16 oz water bottle.

White Comfort Motor vehicle Thigh Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Thinking outside of the box, what about a small hydration backpack? If you are traveling in heat, you could add a small amount of ice and it seems that that would help keep you cool while supplying water.

And no need to modify the bike. Just use it when you need it.

What we did, when we traveled in Arizona and across to California through Palm Springs in mid July under 105 degree plus day, was with hydration pack that wife and I shared.

One trick I picked up was to freeze ice tray of Gatorade and put that in the bladder and fill with cold Gatorade.

Multi-purpose:
1. It help keep the drink ice cold.
2. It refill itself as frozen cubes melt.
3. Kept my back cooler
4. Gave us more storage space/pockets.

Otherwise, we normally use This on shorter rides, @$45?
Font Brand Logo Graphics Fashion accessory

·
Registered
20 Posts
Got a 2018 tour dct. I'm looking for something to hold a water bottle (like in the link). I will not use it for cups. I am taking a trip in a few weeks from Ny to florida and never thought it would be so hard to find something that doesn't cost a ridiculous amount of $$. I don't want to spend $50-80 on a holder setup . I will probably only use it this one time. I don't normally need one cause I'm usually on short trips. But, the way the country is now with the heat wave, i want to be prepared. I do not want a camelbak or anything that goes on my back. I don't care if it only lasts for the trip if it is cheap. I just can't see a way to mount without getting that ball mount from ciro for $30 , then of course another who knows how much for the holder.

I just purchased a phone holder for 2018 DCT from JP Cycles. It is the ball mount style and you can buy a drink holder or any other item that has a ball mount. The base was $15.95 and the phone holder was only $36.99 so I believe a small drink holder would be cheaper. When not in use you can just take off and item and put it away until needed again. Part # 753-332 is the mount. Good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I mounted a bicycle water bottle holder to the handle bar using longer bolts and spacers in the brake perch clamp.
Purchased at my local Walmart for less then $10,

In it I use a $5 Dick's Sports 32oz water bottle with built in straw. Just did 9,000 miles in 3 weeks sipping all the way.

Also hold McDs cups and Yeti tumblers.
Do you know what hardware is needed (sizes) off hand. I saw that holder. Definitely a winner

·
Registered
2002 Stream Silver ABS. Full Traxxion Suspension.
1,208 Posts
@cc rider you said you wanted "cheap". I bought this for my first 1800 around 2004 or 2005 (I think) and have transferred it to all three of my Wings I have owned. I rarely ever use a cup holder so this works so I never upgraded to an expensive one. It mounts very easy, swivels, and snaps closed flat when not in use. I have seen people with these on their boats This came with the mounting hardware for a Wing but I'm sure it could be easily mounted with out the hardware. Only thing negative is it has faded a bit through the years, but then it's 17 to 18 years old and been in the Florida sun a lot. Nothing has ever fallen out of it. It's still available from Amazon for 19.95, about twice what I paid for it back in the day. Amazon.com
Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Personal luxury car

Bottle Orange drink Drinkware Orange soft drink Food

Gear shift White Car Vehicle Automotive design

Motor vehicle Reflex camera Digital camera Automotive design Camera accessory

Font Wood Packaging and labeling Transparency Rectangle

Reactions: AussieChris

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
found this in my basement. Forgot that I had it. I used to be into cycling. Went to lowes and bought a pair of screws for $1.85. Cant beat that! It's on there nice and tight and that holder is a good one. Doesn't look like it , but the bottle stays tight in there.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 GoldWing tour DCT
40 Posts
Got a 2018 tour dct. I'm looking for something to hold a water bottle (like in the link). I will not use it for cups. I am taking a trip in a few weeks from Ny to florida and never thought it would be so hard to find something that doesn't cost a ridiculous amount of $$. I don't want to spend $50-80 on a holder setup . I will probably only use it this one time. I don't normally need one cause I'm usually on short trips. But, the way the country is now with the heat wave, i want to be prepared. I do not want a camelbak or anything that goes on my back. I don't care if it only lasts for the trip if it is cheap. I just can't see a way to mount without getting that ball mount from ciro for $30 , then of course another who knows how much for the holder.

Did you really buy a GoldWing?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I just spent thousands on accessories. But there is a limit. I only need it for a week for a long trip. That's why I want something cheap. I don't care if it only lasts the week. I usually only take 1 long trip per year. Ijust got this bike recently. I can't see spending $70 on a cup holder. That's all I'm saying.

·
Registered
2016 Level 2 Black & Grey
38 Posts
found this in my basement. Forgot that I had it. I used to be into cycling. Went to lowes and bought a pair of screws for $1.85. Cant beat that! It's on there nice and tight and that holder is a good one. Doesn't look like it , but the bottle stays tight in there.
There you are, nothing beats the price of repurposed parts.
Closely matches the one charleetho shared and T-88 declared it the “Winner! Frugal Master Gold Medal”

·
Registered
303 Posts
Vehicle Speedometer Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

There you are, nothing beats the price of repurposed parts.
Closely matches the om
ne charleetho shared and T-88 declared it the “Winner! Frugal Master Gold Medal”
Made my own.

Reactions: Pooch

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I just spent thousands on accessories. But there is a limit. I only need it for a week for a long trip. That's why I want something cheap. I don't care if it only lasts the week. I usually only take 1 long trip per year. Ijust got this bike recently. I can't see spending $70 on a cup holder. That's all I'm saying.
You have the very frugal personality that a relative of mine has, a trait that is both admirable and sometimes laughable (most of us grew up in penny-pinching household with Depression era parents, right?). Back in the ‘80s, he bought a brand new Porsche 944, and promptly lost the gas cap. He would not pay the price Porsche wanted for a new cap, which he thought to be outrageous, and found the gas cap from a Ford Pinto fit, so that’s what he used.

I’ve been contemplating what my ultra-frugal relative would do were he to be looking for a cheap drink holder.

Knowing this relative, he’d go to the hardware store and buy a length of heavy gauge insulated electric wire, and just wrap it around the handlebar with a suitable loop to hold the drink. You can’t get much cheaper than that. 😀. Then he would likely show everyone his ingenuity about his $1.99 (or whatever) functional, home crafted drink holder.

Please post a pic of whatever solution you choose. We frugalista want to know.

Tim

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Post#31. You'll be surprised how much I spend on things I shouldn't. Ijust spent about 4k on this bike mainly honda brand accessories. I bought a brand new 2015 ram 3500 and a torque toy hauler (used but around 30k). Sold then within 2 years. Dumbest spending in my life. I have a $3k car by I make a decent wage. I just think living here in NY you can't have a nice vehicle with all the salt. Be leaving in a few years when I retire. Can't stand it here

21 - 40 of 49 Posts