GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We need to replace the Nolan 103 helmets that we got with the 2007 Wing. Any suggestions on current helmets and communications? Specifically the Nolan n104 and maybe bluetooth to eliminate the cords and improve the communications and radio reception, Also use Garmin 595 and Pandora. I have not used the iPhone because the communications was not reliable. Need something new and reliable, Thanks.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I gotta say corded is probably the most reliable, and better sound quality for rider and passenger. That said, if you're looking to communicate with other riders, a mesh Bluetooth headset from Cardo or Sena will work nicely, if not the best sound quality. Also the other riders will need to have the same mesh headset.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
The forum is full of bluetooth issues on the hardwired bikes - those who have offered suggestions includes not only working with the headsets but adding the freewire units.

A number of the issues are rider to pillion communications and if you have the CB communications the rider to passenger links. There are also posts stating when the rider keys up the CB the passenger can't hear the conversation and then there is a drop of the rider to passenger communications.

I am staying with my wired connections - basically because I am lazy and I ride for stress relief and even the thought of having to fumble with my headsets is not on my list of enjoying a ride.

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
@Steve56 I'm a Sena SLR fan, yes had hiccups when getting oriented to the setup and tailoring it to my likes. I of course use Shoei Neotec II and use it exclusively without issues for over a year. I have all of the Apple Car Play which provides Sygic, Garmin, Waze for Navigation and XM Sirius with Live Radar weather, and USB Music, CB etc. Prior to that on my 2012 GL1832 I used the Sena 20s with Sena Free Wire without issues for AM-FM Radio, CB and phone use as well as USB music. Sound quality is great IMO, as it beats no Music, phone, CB, AM-FM Radio, USB Music. MAny choices brands but I have had a warranty claim which was microphone boom mic on the Sena SLR, that was defective not allowing Siri to understand my voice commands, and Sena replaced it prompto. I have no affiliation with Sena but so far i'm happy with their product. Once you cut your teeth sort of speaking with Bluetooth you will really enjoy the product JMHO. Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I too would stay away from wireless. Too many headaches for me to enjoy a nice ride.

I wired my 595lm though the bike and can work the unit easily while still being able to listen through the bike with the cord. This way I have the best of both worlds. Good GPS and sounds, plus can still listen and chat on the CB if riding with a group.

I am slowly downloading music or setting up Pandora with groups recently listen to so I have choices riding down the road using the 595LM.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
For helmet, I just ordered my second Shoei J Cruise. The flip up face shield is most handy when it starts to rain, or, if I just want less wind/noise. It is also great when it gets cold. I have, on occasion, used the tinted sun shield, but am not a huge fan

For headsets, I have Sena, and currently use the 20S. Like anything new, there were some growing pains, but now I can communicate with my riding buddy with ease. My wife no longer rides, so I have no experience trying to talk with a passenger. I also do not have a CB, so I have no need for the Freewire. I do have an SM10, which lets me listen to my MP3 player and radio. If I had a passenger, we both could listen. I use my iPhone like I was not riding, and at 80 MPH I have had people amazed I was on my Wing. I have 2 units, and keep both charged. On very rare occasions I have had mine run down. On the next gas stop, I simply swap out the "brains" (part that has the battery/electronics) and put the dead one on charge in my trunk. If you are concerned about your battery life, when you stop for lunch, put your units on charge while you eat. (I have a dual USB charger wired in my trunk lid.) There will be plenty of battery to get you to your stop for the night, where everything gets charged overnight. Is learning to use the bluetooth as easy as a wired headset? No. Is it worth the effort to figure it out and learn it? For me, absolutely!

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Just buy the J and M elite with cords and be on your way. My buddies helmet like yours came with a mickey mouse set up where it plugged into the back of the helmet. His went out on our wingding trip, Just saying.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Buy a helmet that fits your head and your budget and your type of riding.

Wealth of choice for either wired or BT bolt ons.

BT is great if you plan to ride with others and communicate with them, but it is a slippery slope of hassle and cost. Choose wisely.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I’ve been using my Sena 10s units for me and my wife for years. They work flawlessly. We can be connected with each other within seconds of having our helmets on. I also can communicate with my riding buddies. There are typically 3 of us and I simply hold a button down for a second, then WHAMMO! Group intercom! There is no way I would even consider a wired unit at this point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts