GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to try some earbuds in my helmet that are small enough that when I take my helmet off I don't drag them out of my ears. Maybe bluetooth, cabled is fine just as long as they are little. I had at one time a brand called FUZE, They had ear molding compound that kept them in place but after 3 pairs of them I decided their quality was so poor that they would break and they were a waste of money. Anyone have some they like that are small enough to fit in a helmet and work?

·
Registered
447 Posts
These are the lowest-profile sound reducing earbuds I've found.

Use a spandex/drymax/whatever skullcap that covers the ears, it helps keep the earbuds in place.
Also, I run the wires under the chinstrap, so turning my head doesn't pull on the earbud wires.

Shure earbuds run the wire over the ear, providing strain relief. Between that and putting the wires under the chinstrap, they never come loose.

Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I don't use earbuds, but wearing a skullcap of some sort over the ears helps to keep my earplugs in place.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Look at Tunz. They mold them to your ear and very durable. Made for musicians and can plug into your Cardo headset to use instead of the speakers. You can actually hear the notes when listening to music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I spent bigger money on the fitted/molded ones for your ears. With speakers in them. They still come out with helmet removal. Careful with little Bluetooth ones, you WILL lose 1, and only 1. The speaker 1’s I have block a lot of ambient noise, but used with the bikes audio system, they pick up so much RF hash, that it is useless to use them. Plugging them into a spare iPhone and slipping that into my pocket is the only way I can enjoy those overpriced things.
So I use foam ear plugs now and listen to the J&M speakers in my helmet. Did this last year doing the 1050 mile day to Cheyenne, with no issues, and I could hear at the end of the day. Slept better too, not going to bed with ringing ears.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I use the Fuze molded now, but find they are not any more comfortable or quiet than just the common earbuds. I have had them for almost a year and they seem to be holding up for me, but I am not impressed with the fit or the sound. I just ordered some of the Maxrocks above. I have a whole draw full of marginal ear buds I have tried.

But, as others have mentioned, use of a helmet liner makes everything work much better. Whether you are using basic earbuds, molded earbuds or just earplugs (foam or otherwise) the helmet just slips over without disturbing the placement in the ear. I use to spend 5 minutes trying to get the earbud or ear plug in just right, only to have the helmet push it out of place and I would have to start all over. Now, I just get them comfortable, pull on the liner and then the helmet. Works great.

Reactions: Justin K.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Shure se315’s. Ive been wearing these for 4 years now on multi-day IBA rides and commutes. Comfortable, great quality. Plug directly into phone or into the sena comm unit.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll have to look for a helmet skull cap of some sort then maybe some brand of earbud. Thanks

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Look at Tunz. They mold them to your ear and very durable. Made for musicians and can plug into your Cardo headset to use instead of the speakers. You can actually hear the notes when listening to music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Have used them for 5 years. Best fitting earbuds, best sound, fits perfectly under my my helmet,

Reactions: Wingmaster12

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I have been using plugs from PlugUp for about 4 years. They fit down into the ear and are completely out of the way. They sound OK but not great by any means.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Cycle Gear has a very nice, thin and inexpensive skull cap/helmet liner/
Agree. Cycle Gear was my second choice. I've used and like this one:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts