GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the lengthy posts on how to update my 2010 Gl. Both legal and not so much above board. Decided for different reasons to opt for a TomTom 400. Want to be able to switch between multiple bikes and cages. Is it just me or do I need to hard wire a base unit to each bike? Ram ball mounts with a a suction cup work with an auxiliary port in the glove box. Any help or experience would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
My recommendation is to hardwire a base unit to each bike and use the suction cup, ram ball mount in the cages. Thats what I do/did.

I'd never recommend a suction cup mount on the bike. Too much opportunity for failure. Ram makes a "big" suction cub that I use in my Ford Explorer for my older Zumo 550. The 550 is very heavy and the mount rarely fails. Only during extreme changes in temperature (i.e. move from carport to parking lot in 90 plus degree weather. or something like that).

It cost more to do that but the motorcycle mounts are designed for just that, holding power.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GPS Mountingq

So I ordered three different ball mounts. Not a fan of mounting to the bars or drilling a hole in the master cylinder cover. Anybody else got any helpful tip?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, much appreciated..... Research is the key. Tech is not my thing but the need for tryfocols as I age means I have to get use to progress. Heads up display would be nice but a little too $$$$ and plotting by way points is time consuming each morning. The first time I tried I killed the battery in the learning curve.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts