GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all up in MI. I’m looking the pros and cons about taking the ferry across Lake Michigan to WI. I’m working for MotoAmerica at Road America, Elkhart lake WI, May 30-june 2. I traveling from PA and looking to avoid Chicago. Plus the one ferry takes 2 1/2 hrs and that’s a good time for a break/rest.

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Been 20 yrs since I was on the ferry. Nice way to relax, takes longer than driving though. I remember it was a bit on the expensive side tho.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The last I heard it was about $70 one way. There are two ferrys so you may want to check that out. You have to take your own tie downs and secure your bike. It can get pretty rough on lake MI. but it is a nice way to avoid the Chic. traffic.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Look up S.S. Badger , we took this ferry in 2017. It goes from Ludington Mi.
to Manitowoc Wis. It takes about 4 hours to cross compared to 8 hour to go around.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I live in Michigan and have a daughter who lived on the Door Peninsula until last July. I checked into taking the ferry across from Ludington and decided not to. Here is my reasoning. In order to catch the ferry I had to be at the dock at 7AM. Since I live about 3 hours from there I would have to ride there in the dark or stay in a motel. For the return trip it arrives in Ludington at 10 PM so another night in a hotel or ride home at night. The cost was 70 bucks for the bike plus a passenger ticket. All in all expensive and time consuming. I opted to leave at sun up and ride thru the Upper Peninsula. A great ride and I was there in the afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
I really don't mind driving through Chicago but I've taken the Lake-Express ferry too. (3times) https://www.lake-express.com/

I you aren't running a Marathain motel in Muskegon, MI for the night and catch the ferry in the morning. They provide tie-downs on the ferry for your bike. Arrive quickly in Milwalkeeand spend most of the day in Wisconsin. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I really don't mind driving through Chicago but I've taken the Lake-Express ferry too. (3times) https://www.lake-express.com/

I you aren't running a Marathain motel in Muskegon, MI for the night and catch the ferry in the morning. They provide tie-downs on the ferry for your bike. Arrive quickly in Milwalkeeand spend most of the day in Wisconsin. :laugh:
Agree! I've done it 3 times, saves all the hassle of Chicago traffic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts