GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of installing the Kuryakyn luggage rack #7151. Have seen comments to be sure to use the star washers to prevent cracks in the trunk lid. What do they look like? Where do you get them?
I also want to know if anyone has used the Kuryakyn luggage rack risers #7154? They are shown on their website and are supposed to prevent cracks.
Would appreciate any info.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Do yourself a favor. Forget it.
I have the Kuryakyn rack and that's the only accessory I regret putting on my bike.
It's very heavy, and greatly accelerates the interior rub wear from the lid on those little nubs. Plus it's a pain to clean under.
I have a trailer now, and never use it.
I'm seriously considering removing it, just don't know what I'll cover the holes with.
If I do, I'll GIVE it to someone, just to get rid of it.

JMHO, of course! :)

·
Registered
638 Posts
I agree with Rob. That luggage rack is way too heavy for the trunk lid. I also regret having installed it. And if you also have the spoiler it's even worse. I too am considering removing it. Seeing as how it's too heavy for the trunk lid, certainly loading it with a bag makes the situation even worse. My trunk actually broke in two places because of it.

To Rob, consider replacing the rack with cap nuts. You can cut down the Kury bolts or replace them with bolts of the appropriate length. If you have star washers you can probably remove them.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I, too, reget installing on my '06. If someone comes up with something clever with what to do with the holes, I would remove mine as well. I did install the star washers. If I had it to do all over again, I would install the tubular version because it is so much lighter (read, more payload capacity on top of trunk lid).

Ed Hamilton

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
You guys are making me feel better about my teeny-weeny Hondaline
trunk rack. The dealer installed it and after I saw it, I wondered why.
It is very small. However, when I read the trunk load limit, I began to
understand. If one believes that weight limit you dare not load the larger
racks with anything of consequence. I do use it. It is OK for rolling up
rain gear and bike cover in a light canvass. That saves a little of the
precious space in the bags and doesn't overload anything - I hope.
See Ya Blessings BOB B.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I am one of the ones that find the luggage rack to be functional and attractive. I found the Big Bike rack to be the best bang for my buck. Scroll down thru this post http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67172&highlight= to my response regarding the strength of the rack and then use the link to my post on how I installed mine.
Ride Safe
Ken

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I hear so many negatives about luggage racks. I have the Big Bike rack ( I think ) .Anyway, it's the tubular rack not a Kuryakan. I installed it with trunk crack prevention in mind., extra wide support washers and rubber grommets between the trunk top and trunk liner. I carry a 25 lb. bag on it and I hit the bumps hard. ( Ask my wife ). We live in the pothole capital of the country. No cracks at all after nine thousand miles. I love this rack and couldn't be without it.

G

·
Big Bike (AddOn) tubular rack. Lightweight, strong, and hasn't cracked my trunk.

The tubular design is much easier to attach bungee cords and rack bags to. Also easier to mount short flag poles on.

The Kury and Hondaline racks are so heavy they detract from the load you can safely carry on a trunk rack.

The Kury and Hondaline racks may be prettier, but like some things that are pretty, that doesn't mean they are practical.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Go with the tubular rack, less weight and less problems with the pitting. The star washers do help. The load for the rack should only be 7-10 lbs. The honda rack is usless. I have the kury rack bag-and carry my cover and rain gear in it, works out fine :D

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I have the Kury rack and love it, wouldn't be without it.

We use the Kury bag on it, probably weighs in about 20 lbs. loaded.

Almost 10K miles and no problems. I used some 1/8" thick stainless steel washers and rubber washers, inside and out when installing. Also, make sure the holes are in the right place and you do not have to pry the rack to get the bolts in. That will cause constant stress.

A lot of trunks crack from grabbing the rack to shut the lid. DO NO CLOSE IT THAT WAY. Just set it down on the latches, then pull rearward on the passenger backrest to click it shut.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Save your money and your trunk lid. Once you drill holes in it, it will NEVER be the same and cost to replace it is WAY UP THERE!

Do yourself a favor and just get a trailer. Much more practical.

My 2 cents worth. BTDT....it ain't so great!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Rack

I installed the kuryakn(?) rack on my 1800, and after studying the situation elected not to use star washers at this time, looks nice and will only have 5-6lbs max of raingear stuff carried on it. I will not be using it as a handle to open or close trunk. After locating mounting hole locations I made sure to drill holes at same angle as legs on rack. Now to install either the felt pads or the little clear plastic bumpers between lid and trunk. I enjoyed reading all the related info. posted.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Want to thank all for their comments. This gives me a lot of info to think about. Looks like the tubular is way I may go. Glad to see that some are using the kuryakyn bag on the tubular. That's the bag I was thinking of but did not know if it would work on the tubular.
Again, thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Ted, I bought the Kuryakan bag for my luggage rack. It is a great quality bag, looks and fits well, but I don't use it much. Too small.....I have a medium size LL Bean bag that I pack with all my riding clothes, rainsuits, etc. Weighs about 20-25 lbs.

·
Registered
250 Posts
We use the Kury rack regularly and fill up the travel bag when we go away and have never had a problem. Before I installed a trunk handle I used the rack to close the trunk and have even forgotten and slammed the trunk lid with the loaded travel bag on the rack.

I do have the star washers, and I dont mind cleaning under it. I also have installed Rubber Baby Buggey Bumperes and they are the best five bucks I have spent on the bike.

Q

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I have been using the kury rack and bag for years with no star washers or problems.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I too have the kury rack and bag (w/ star washers installed)...no problems...a I do load it a bit too much at times for long trips and no problems. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones...for now at least...good luck either way.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Ted,
Although I agree that the tubular rack is the way to go, I installed my Big Bike rack in 2002 and it started to rust at the welded joints just after the warranty was up (1 year). It may be because of the salt air environment along the seacoast here, but I felt that the chrome job on this brand rack was too thin. Every year I polish out the rust and pits with Flitz metal polish, wipe off with a solvent, and apply clear fingernail polish to it. I also went to Ace Hardware and got some longer metric screws because I applied large polished stainless steel fender washers inside (3 inches diameter) and outside (inch and a quarter diameter) to prevent the lid from cracking. The inner fender washers were hand formed to fit the interior contour of the lid and secured in place with a thin coating of JB Weld. I usually strap on a 25 pound duffle to this rack on long trips and no cracks have formed in four years. I also beefed up the lid seal by inserting 7 millimeter fuel line hose and adding rubber baby bumpers at the inner corners (to prevent the lid from collapsing under load). This combination works best for me. Just wish the welds hadn't rusted.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts