GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set (one year old) of the Tourmaster Sentinal rain gear (jacket and pants). The zipper on the jacket has broken and the pants leak in the seat and on the inside of both legs. I can get no customer service from Tourmaster on these items (will not answer my emails (2), and list no CS phone number).

I am looking for light weight (I live in Florida) rain gear, with a breathable membrane (like Gore Tex).

I found this site and want to know if anyone knows anything about this business and their products.

http://www.motoport.com/_product_35444/Aero-Tex_Rain_Jacket

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
#2 for Frogg Toggs. They don't last forever but they are very breathable. We got ours at our local Bass Pro Shop and they let us mix and match the sizes. Like an extra large jacket with large pants. In the Fla heat I wouldn't wear a rainsuit anyway.

·
Registered
555 Posts
#2 for Frogg Toggs. They don't last forever but they are very breathable. We got ours at our local Bass Pro Shop and they let us mix and match the sizes. Like an extra large jacket with large pants. In the Fla heat I wouldn't wear a rainsuit anyway.
Which Frog Toggs do you have? There are so many to select from.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
The BEST Frogg Toggs are the ELITE HIGHWAY ... not produced anymore ... I have some inventory ... DURABLE ... BLACK ONLY ... $149.95 ... QUALITY STUFF !!!

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have a set (one year old) of the Tourmaster Sentinal rain gear (jacket and pants). The zipper on the jacket has broken and the pants leak in the seat and on the inside of both legs. I can get no customer service from Tourmaster on these items (will not answer my emails (2), and list no CS phone number).

I am looking for light weight (I live in Florida) rain gear, with a breathable membrane (like Gore Tex).

I found this site and want to know if anyone knows anything about this business and their products.

Froggtoggs the ROAD TOADS

·
Registered
3,187 Posts

Motoport makes some of the best riding gear you can buy, Wayne and company are a first class operation in every way.

I have not used this product but I have both his mesh and textile Kelvar riding suits. I expect if the jacket in question is listed as working as a rain suit it will work as advertised. Something to think about, with either Motoport riding suit I find no need for rain gear except for cold WX riding as Kelvar does not absorb H2O. It's a lot easier to just ride than stop, put on a rain suit next to the road, ride through the rain, stop pull off the rain suit and so on. I have not even carried a rain suit (except during the winter) for several years and my riding life is better for it.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
+1 for Frogg Toggs

They pack in a small volume; are easy to carry; work amazingly well; and are breathable too, for warmer weather use.

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
The newer designed Road Toads (made by Frogg Togg) are highly improved over the original Frogg Toggs and seem to hold up better and not leak. I have a set of them in the new Hi Viz fluorescent green and I've been real happy with them. We use them as wind breakers over our mesh jackets when the temps drop and they work real well that way too.

I had some problems with the zippers on the first set I got, but they have since changed the zipper design, and I sent them back and they exchanged them for the ones with the new zippers, and I haven't had any more issues. So if you buy them, make sure you get the new more robust zippers with larger teeth, and not the smaller (spiral wound) tippers.

Old Zippers

New Zippers

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Motoport makes some of the best riding gear you can buy, Wayne and company are a first class operation in every way.

I have not used this product but I have both his mesh and textile Kelvar riding suits. I expect if the jacket in question is listed as working as a rain suit it will work as advertised. Something to think about, with either Motoport riding suit I find no need for rain gear except for cold WX riding as Kelvar does not absorb H2O. It's a lot easier to just ride than stop, put on a rain suit next to the road, ride through the rain, stop pull off the rain suit and so on. I have not even carried a rain suit (except during the winter) for several years and my riding life is better for it.
Bubba,

I agree with you for light summer type showers you are in and out of but not for a drenching rain. Here's why.....(and I use LD comfort products too)

I have an old BMW Savanah suit that has over 50K miles on it that is my favorite suit. It is a two piece suit that has gore tex liners that can be zipped inside the pants and jacket which then makes it a rain suit similar to what you are doing with LDC and Motoport......an all in one suit.

In a drenching rain, I find that the outer-layer soaks up rain but because of the gore tex inner liner, the water runs down the inside of my suit (outside the gore tex layer) and right into my gloves and boots. The same happens with my LDC tights and a riding suit over them. Whatever you use for a waterproof suit needs to have the ability to go over your boots and gloves in my opinion.

So for a quick thunderstorm, I don't change anything....just ride through it but if i know it is really gonna RAIN.....I throw my toggs on OVER my savanah suit and stay dry as a fart........head to toe. :thumbup:

·
Registered
977 Posts
LL BEAN "Trail Model"; lightweight, breathable nylon; zipper front, elastic arm cuffs/waist jacket; elastic waist, zippered cuffs pants (easy don over boots) - $110

I've been very satisfied and monsoon rain dry for many years - OVER my Motoport Ultra II Kevlar protective riding suit.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Frogg Toggs are light, dry, breathable, and pack small when it rains heavy.
Aerostich roadcrafter when it is cool and light rain.

·
Registered
77 Posts
rain suit

LL BEAN "Trail Model"; lightweight, breathable nylon; zipper front, elastic arm cuffs/waist jacket; elastic waist, zippered cuffs pants (easy don over boots) - $110

I've been very satisfied and monsoon rain dry for many years - OVER my Motoport Ultra II Kevlar protective riding suit.

Spend the extra money and get the LL Beam. Frog Toggs are not that good. Put the money towards the LL Beam. They will keep you dry and last for ever.

·
Registered
512 Posts
black n chrome,

you are making the rain gear suit thing much more difficult than it needs to be. just go to walmart and get one of the 'starnes brand' BLUE rainsuits.
About $6 and will fold down into its little pouch that fits into the size of two hand palms. This is all I have ever used and have never gotten wet. If you get even two years out of it,,,get a new "suit" the third year.
No need to deal ( or get all upset) with custmer service on something as trivial as a rain suit...:)
I have had my same cheapo suit for 6 years and still looks , protects as new. Doesn't eat up half of a saddle bag ,either! Most of the time I'd rather get wet than have to deal with putting a rain suit on,unless it is nasty cold outside!

Take Care,
BC

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey guys, thanks for the many replies to my post. I still haven't made my mind up as to what rain gear I'll buy, but I have a lot more choices now. Thanks again.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
I have been using Frog Toggs for several years and think of htem as almost a disposible type product, replace each season or so. I m happy to the see the improved version Fred shows and hope those will be more durable. I really don't even bother to use them unless the rain is steady and of long duration; I am neither sugar, nor salt. ;-) I maybe a bit moldy though.

prs

·
Registered
801 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for the many replies to my post. I still haven't made my mind up as to what rain gear I'll buy, but I have a lot more choices now. Thanks again.
It may be that you just got a bad Sentinal. I know you said Sentinal isn't being cooperative; but will the place you bought it do anything for you? The reason I say that is I have ridden hundreds if not thousands of miles in hard rain with my sentinal and it has never leaked or failed to work.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts