GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a new motorcycle helmet cuz the recent one keeps making me uncomfortable.

I usually ride in long journeys, and I feel hurt in my neck and shoulder after long hours riding. I just realized that the recent helmet is quite heavy for me and that causes the strain. It is a modular type brand HJC. I like the protection it offers but still can't stand the weight.
Really need some advice from you guys. What model do you guys use? I still prefer the Modular motorcycle helmet, so is there any model that has lighter weight. Not thinking about one that provides less protection.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Scroll a bit down the page and you will see some links for helmet weight. Motorcycle Helmet Reviews Just because a helmet is light, doesn't mean it will be comfortable. Get fitted properly first, then give weight a consideration.

·
Registered
904 Posts
My son the massage therapist would reply "strengthen the muscles" that are 'complaining' about the helmet weight. Helmets aren't getting heavier but as we age we lose muscle strength and perhaps begin to have other tissue and joint issues. The two things in our control are changing helmets and strengthening the muscles. If you don't want to give up the protection and convenience of a modular the answer maybe exercise drills to work on the neck and back. I can ask my son to explain it to me and I'll repost if you are interested.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Carbon fiber helmets weigh nearly nothing.. Can be pricey, though. Handlebar setbacks cured my shoulder problems..

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Really need some advice from you guys. What model do you guys use? I still prefer the Modular motorcycle helmet, so is there any model that has lighter weight. Not thinking about one that provides less protection.
Shoei Neotec 2.

Now, the list that @b206driver posted has quality info in it. Give that some consideration before listening to a bunch of us. :LOL:

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I am looking for a new motorcycle helmet cuz the recent one keeps making me uncomfortable.

I usually ride in long journeys, and I feel hurt in my neck and shoulder after long hours riding. I just realized that the recent helmet is quite heavy for me and that causes the strain. It is a modular type brand HJC. I like the protection it offers but still can't stand the weight.

Thanks!
GO TO SEER HELMETS OUT OF COLORADO THEY JUST PUT OUT AN HJC MADE OUT OF CARBON FIBER, THEY ALSO MAKE POLICE STYLE HELMETS ALSO.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
What bike are you riding? Consider a set of handle bar risers to move those to a better position for you. Now check out Klim. The TK1200 modular weighs a little over 2 lbs. If you go to their website, and you're a Vet, first responder, ect., checkout the requirements for their VIP club. You can buy a non-current paint scheme helmet for about 2/3's the cost of a current paint scheme model. If you meet the requirements for the VIP club, that's another 30% off. Good luck, ride safe, and keep the shiny side up. :D

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Modular is always going to be heavier than full face. The cheaper modulars are clunky, loud, heavy, and may catch the wind. You have to spend some money to get a relatively good modular (quiet, aero, light, secure latch). It's worth it for me, but just be aware. Schuberth C3 Pro here, got it on a closeout, and it was still $400. So much better in every way than my old Nolan which was itself a major upgrade from my older HJC.

Helmet isn't the only magic pill out there. Also look for windshield style / position (buffeting from turbulence will tire your neck), bar position (shoulders/back=>neck impacts), and supplement with exercise / physical therapy as mentioned previously.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts