GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have a nuvi 755T that is a great unit but I don't like it on a motorcycle. The screen gets washed out by the sun and it requires a cover when it rains. This can be a pain and very distracting when on the move.

I also have a 2610 that is great but I can't get any updated maps.

I was thinking of the zumo 550 but I was told by a Garmin rep that this unit MAY be discontinued at the end of the year.

I don't want to use a gps unit that is not designed for a motorcycle.

I'm thinking of buying a zumo 660 which comes with everything needed to use on a bike. Would this be a good choice?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I have a Garmin Zumo 450 which has been discontinued for some time although still supports it.

Buy a $15.00 Glare Stomper cover and it will provide shade to the unit 95% of the time.

The Zumo 450 with it mount is motorcycle friendly. It does not have the bluetooth capability which is what I wanted. If I want to make or answer a call, I will pull over and not talk while I am riding.

Here is a photo of the unit with the glare stomper shading it.

I bought the unit about three years ago from Amazon for about $350. I also bought the lifetime map updates for $85.00 and get three/four new maps per year.
www.glarestomper.com

Attachments

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Comanche, do you know if this unit comes with the wiring harness and mounts for a bike?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Comanche, do you know if this unit comes with the wiring harness and mounts for a bike?

It does. You can buy them from Garmin, but expect to pay higher prices. Several places sell them just do a google search for them.

Expect Garmin to want you to proove that you bought the unit to give you support on it. So, Keep your sales infor. You can email this to Garmin.

They are very protective about their units.

I have mine wired directly to the fuze box so when I turn on the bike the GPS comes on.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Winger Dan, I did a search for the Garmin Zumo 450 and found very little. I would probably go for the 550 as it is newer, but still totally supported by Garmin as is all of their discontinued models. It is fully motorcycle compatible.

The only difference between the 450 and the 550 is the 550 has the bluetooth.

I would recommend buying the glare stomper and the lifetime subscription from Garmin to keep your maps current.

Lat week in Oklahoma, a group of us were looking for a new resort. I was the only one who's GPS listed it as I had downloaded the newest map only a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Amazon has the Zumo's for:

550 $585.00

660 $650.00

665 $789.00

I used the Garmin 660 to ride the IBA Gator1000 in Jacksonville, FL in March and it took me to some very remote coordinates right on the button every time within a few feet. I hooked up the audio to the AUX plug and had no problems hearing the clearly spoken directions. I only used the AUX because I had significant problems with the GL2WAY CB unit.

I have had the 660 for several months now and like it very much except for the problem with Bluetooth telephone and of people not being able to hear me when I speak into my J&M headphone mike. The BikeMP3 people blame it on Garmin and, at the same time, admit that their mic splitter will not do the job.

The 660 has a much larger screen than the 550 and is clearly worth the extra $65.00 because the 550 may soon be obsolete.

The 665 has some significant problems with certain cell phones and the XM capability. One rider buddy said that he regrets spending the extra for the 665 because he can get better weather radar on his cell phone.

BTW I also have a Garmin 885T mounted on the left handlebar too and it works perfectly but needs to be covered with a 1 gallon food bag or a zip lock bag or some Saran wrap if it rains. There is also an AUX output on the 885T that I use in the cage and probably would work on the bike.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
I've had a Zumo 550 since 2008 and it has been great. I'd buy another one without hesitation. It comes with all the wiring and two docking cradles. One for the bike and one for the car. My wife and I use it constantly.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found a zumo 660 for $605 which doesn't sound bad. I also found the zumo 550 for $529. Both of these unit's look good. I'm not interested in the blue tooth at this time, so now, I'll have to decide which one I want. The larger screen of the 550 can be a selling point.

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
In my personal opinion the 550 is a far better all round unit, the 660 and 665 appear better on paper but we have seen several connection issues and the general internet chatter shows the same and also Bluetooth and other issues.

If you just need a straight GPS then its fine but if your looking for stable connectivity then go with the 550

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pete, in talking about connection issues are you referring to the blue tooth capability or satellite connectivity? I've read where some are having problems with the blue tooth but I have not seen to many issues with the GPS itself.

Dan

·
Registered
3,610 Posts

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Pete, in talking about connection issues are you referring to the blue tooth capability or satellite connectivity? I've read where some are having problems with the blue tooth but I have not seen to many issues with the GPS itself.

Dan
The 660 as just a GPS seems to be a fine unit like most Garmin's it does not stray far from the path they all follow and it just works, as mentions I believe its a new processor so quicker to boot etc, but from a connectivity point of view compared to the 550 they have been a challenge, which is important to us and on doing some research we are not alone.

·
Registered
855 Posts
If you want a cheaper, but still good alternative, the 2720 makes for a good unit. I also played out the 2610 until I couldnt get maps. The 2720 and up is NT based and you can still get maps for it. Plus all the chargers/cords/Ram mounts are all the same. Just food for thought. Check out ebay, they show up there for around 100 bucks.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the tip Bill. I'll look into one.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
If you want a cheaper, but still good alternative, the 2720 makes for a good unit. I also played out the 2610 until I couldnt get maps. The 2720 and up is NT based and you can still get maps for it. Plus all the chargers/cords/Ram mounts are all the same. Just food for thought. Check out ebay, they show up there for around 100 bucks.
:agree:

I've loved my 2720 for several years -- it does everything I need and nothing I don't.

However, they are becoming scarce and, while Garmin supported them with a $100 refurbish/exchange, they are no longer available.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Tom Tom Rider 2

Another option is the Tom Tom Rider 2, I picked one up on ebay with the mounts and wiring for $210.00. Put it on my Wing and love it. Has bluetooth, built for motorcycle, cheaper map updates than Garmin, more refineable than Garmin. That being said I find the Garmin 550 I have on my
R1200Rt to be easier to use on a daily basis. My first choice would be the Garmin 550 but the Tom Tom is a close second. Had the 2720 on a K1200Lt and liked it as well but the blue tooth ability to answer a phone quickly or stream music is nice. What ever your choice I'm sure you will enjoy.
Ride safe
Thx Tom

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Another alternative, if you don't need all the fancy stuff, is the Nuvi 500 or 550. They are waterproof and do everything I need. I've had my Nuvi 500 for several years now and have used it on long trips on the bike, in the rain and in the work truck everyday. It just keeps on ticking. You can still find them cheap. Mine was a rebuild and it works great. You can also download routes from Mapsource into it.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I ended up going with the Z660.

I consided a number of GPS units but there were a number of key things I wanted in a GPS and the 660 had them.

1) Where am I
2)Lane assist
3)the headphone jack
4)voice prompts
and, another nice feature but not all that important to me was
5)speed limit indicator

1 - 19 of 19 Posts