GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am trying to evaluate which brand of conversion kit and which dealer to use to purchase a new 2009 GL1800 trike. I have not biked in years, I am 60 years old and live in the Tampa Bay area. I am considering the "American Trike Consversion" offered by Daytona Bike & Trike in Daytona Florida, but I am overwhelmed with all the companies out there that do these conversions, not to mention the long list of options such as naviagation, ABS, etc. Can anyone give this "old biginner" some advice to help me get a great trike on the road? (I will try to attach a pic of the style I am after). Thanks, Phil Turner

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Hello, I am trying to evaluate which brand of conversion kit and which dealer to use to purchase a new 2009 GL1800 trike. I have not biked in years, I am 60 years old and live in the Tampa Bay area. I am considering the "American Trike Consversion" offered by Daytona Bike & Trike in Daytona Florida, but I am overwhelmed with all the companies out there that do these conversions, not to mention the long list of options such as naviagation, ABS, etc. Can anyone give this "old biginner" some advice to help me get a great trike on the road? (I will try to attach a pic of the style I am after). Thanks, Phil Turner
Phil, pull up a chair, go grab your favorite beverage and get ready! Here it comes!:22yikes:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Phil, pull up a chair, go grab your favorite beverage and get ready! Here it comes!:22yikes:

Yepp: Get out your Big Chief Tablet, and big pencil for what is about to happen.

This is what I posted earlier on cost of two kits:

Just for info, and cost comparison between two kits:

CSC Cobra Base Kit with:
BASE PRICE - (black gel coat) 7,795.00
Paint - Single Tone Color Match 995.00
Chrome Wheel Well Trim Kit 225.00
Trailer Hitch Kit 195.00
Trunk Carpet Kit / With Cargo Net 195.00
Crating 150.00 (Not Shipping)

Total, Less Install $9555.00

Motor Trike Base Spyder:
Standard Spyder 6495
2+2 Spyder 6995
Painted 1 color 650
On board Air Compressor 350
Trunk Carpet 94.95
Trailer Hitch 139.99
Install at Factory 900 (* Installer shops will vary)
Creating or shipping not listed?
Total Standard Spyder installed at Factory, $8629.94 + or -

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Yepp: Get out your Big Chief Tablet, and big pencil for what is about to happen.

This is what I posted earlier on cost of two kits:
Hey George. This would be a good time to find your crayons! Phil could color code all the advice on the different models...............:popcorn:

Phil you gotta check out the options BigMick got with his.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Here is a builder in Kiss - kissemm - darn - just outside of Orlando off I-4. (around exit 77 if I remember correctly)

Good people, excellent customer service/relations. Will convert for you with your ride, or they have several turnkey units ready. They do Champion, CSC and Hannigan, as well as Harleys.

Closer than Daytona, check them out.

http://triketraders.com

There are a couple of builders in Inverness/WildWood area that are close to you also - Trikes by Tony (CSC and Champion) and JR Harris (Primarily Champion).

With that many builders within a couple of hours of your home base, check them all out and ride what they will let you - so you can get a feel for the different kits.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
hanigan

Hanigan makes the caddilac of the trikes.

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
BigMick got a Pit Crew with his Phil. It's either that or his installation team is a lot cuter than mine!

Heres' a few basic questions to answer for yourself:

1. Is your purpose for Triking short or long distance traveling?
2. Will you have a passenger more often than not?
3. How important is trunk storage space?
4. Will you do your own maintenance?
5. Are you into a cushy ride or quick cornering?
6. Will a lady ever pilot your craft for any length or distance?
7. Is money no object?

When all is said and done the (6) top brands are well designed and handle great. Do the front fork rake. Ride as many as you can which is the hardest of all things to accomplish when considering which Trike to own. Pick an installer that does it for a living, not a hobby. And last and most important................pick the one you like the looks of!

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Since you are on the West Coast, try Trikes By Design (formerly Trikes by Tony) in Inverness. http://www.trikesbytony.com/index.html

They always have a few trikes for sell and will trike one from 2 wheels for you if you come in with one. They have California Side Car kits and one other I believe (am not sure of the other brand).

Trike Traders in Kissimmee http://www.triketraders.com/...which is just South of Orlando. They do a few kits as well

JR's in Inverness does Champions. I do not know their web address, if in fact, they have one....

The trike kit is one thing, the abs, nav, heated seats are another. Companies listed deal with the kit part, the goldwing will have the other stuff on it if you buy that level..

PM me if you have any other questions...

Hope this helps...:lol:

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
BigMick got a Pit Crew with his Phil. It's either that or his installation team is a lot cuter than mine!

7. Is money no object?

When all is said and done the (6) top brands are well designed and handle great. Do the front fork rake. Ride as many as you can which is the hardest of all things to accomplish when considering which Trike to own. Pick an installer that does it for a living, not a hobby. And last and most important................pick the one you like the looks of!
:agree:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts

7. Is money no object?

:agree: Me Too

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Phil, I barely remember being 60. There are many posts on this board asking and answering the same questions that you have. Visit the many dealer/installers you have in your area...lots of fun, then get an orange one. :lol:

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
This is kinda like Chev/Ford. Which is better? Most feel theirs is the best one. Look at all of them and pick the ones u like best and then test ride those. Then pick the one u like the best.

Which ever u choose, get he EZSteer option (called Power Track by CSC) unless u choose DFT and then I don't really know as have not ridden one w/o.

I chose CSC because of discussion on this board, other owners and a couple of test rides. Priority for me was: 1.Installer 2. Looks 3. cost 4. options available.

Good Luck.

B

·
0 Posts
Phil,

...or you could just buy mine. It's always for sale and has everything you could want.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
My CSC dealer friend, Ken Schreiber, told me Friday that CSC have or are going to raise their kit price about $500. It will then be around $8295 +/-.

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Phil,

...or you could just buy mine. It's always for sale and has everything you could want.

Don, my good, dear, and wonderful friend. :bow:("Sir beastie" to everyone else!) This picture of your beautiful Yellow Cobra has brought back fond memories of a time when I too possesed such a gorgeous vehicle. :cry: Unfortunately I took quite a jolt :22yikes:from a taser-gun in another post from a crazed Armadillo just outside Arkadelphia, Arkansas (say that ten times real fast) and felt compelled to sell off my Trike in a moment of insanity,(which lasted for, oh...... about two years now:eek:) But I was wondering if I could borrow yours for the summer. I just found out that my name does not appear in Obama's stimulas package so the $50,000.00 I was hoping for will have to be obtained the old fashioned way!!! I gotta work for it, can you believe that? :shock: Where's the change we were promised???:roll:

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
By my figures the CSC starting price of around $10135 with painted body and the EZSteer options. An I don't think that includes asm and tax. And I doubt that many are sold with just those options.

If u want to play with the options and price, here is a link:
http://www.californiasidecar.com/pricelist_cobra.htm

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Phil

Why not kill two birds with one drive. There will be a great gathering in Texas which will bring together ever make, model, color, and combo you could ask for. Make plans to attend and you will see up close and personal everything there is to see, and even meet the owners. Many of which I have had the pleasure to put a handsake on. Good folks. While I have had the pleasure of making it to the first two, it does not look good for this one, otherwise I would have been more then glad to even let you take mine for a spin to test it out. Can't speak for the others, but I suspect you can still accomplish a great deal if you can make it.

Otherwise, visit the local dealers, and see first hand. Or, keep reading this thread and you will get all the "mine is better then yours" you can handle. For me, I like to make my own decisions. Learned the hard way when I was 6.;)

Good luck and hope to see ya down the road some time.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Trike Kits

:popcorn: Phil,
It sounds like your in the same sitsuation I was in a few years ago, Hadn't rode in 25 years, but decided I wanted a Trike. Even thought my brother & brother inlaw rode harleys, I knew I wanted a Goldwing, I just needed to find out which kit I wanted. I spent better than a year looking at different kits and ended up with the CSC. It's the kit that I felt worked best for me. Am I satisfied with it, Yes, but there may be a different one out there that works better for you. Take your time and look at as many as you can before you decide. Also take a look at the Champion, I've heard a rumor that they are coming out with an (IRS) Independant Rear Suspension in the next month or so. What ever you do, remember that the installer makes all the difference in the world, get someone who knows what they are doing. Good luck with your decision. :p

1 - 20 of 31 Posts