GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 65-67 mm cup wrench that I use for changing my filter, tried to find a dedicated 65mm one at the auto parts stores but to no avail. Honda dealer doesn't have any in stock either. Will be checking the internet, but in the meantime anyone know who carries one, the one I have slips because of the small amount of notches being a multi use one.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I just changed my oil and I think I used my filter cup from our 2011 Toyota Corolla. Try bringing a filter to a auto parts store and I bet you will find one that fits.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I use a piece of ribbed fan belt about 12" long. I just wrap it around the filter and use it like a strap wrench. I carry it in the bottom of one saddlebag so I can change oil if I have too on long trips.

Reactions: Pooch and Kiwi

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts

This is what I'm moving to, just for the convenience. My only concern is the end used for the drain plug. I much prefer a six point box end wrench so I don't booger up the plug. I've used a strap wrench for some time, but when oil gets on the strap, it gets in all the nooks and cranny's and becomes a pain to clean.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Me too. It is best wrench I purchased for changing oil filters on my wing and ST1300.
Second that. I have an assortment of oil filter wrenches that haven't been used in years after I bought one of these. I ground off a portion of it to make an easier fit between the ST1300's filter and left side exhaust header. I use Honda oil filters on both bikes and cars including the Miata so this one wrench has fit every vehicle I've owned the last 13 years.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
This is what I'm moving to, just for the convenience. My only concern is the end used for the drain plug. I much prefer a six point box end wrench so I don't booger up the plug. I've used a strap wrench for some time, but when oil gets on the strap, it gets in all the nooks and cranny's and becomes a pain to clean.

I have to confess that I only use the oil wrench side. I always use a socket wrench to remove the drain plug...

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
I have a 65-67 mm cup wrench that I use for changing my filter, tried to find a dedicated 65mm one at the auto parts stores but to no avail. Honda dealer doesn't have any in stock either. Will be checking the internet, but in the meantime anyone know who carries one, the one I have slips because of the small amount of notches being a multi use one.
If the cup wrench is for a GL1800 oil filter, Honda does make an oil filter/wrench set. The kit comes with an GL1800 oil filter.

https://www.partzilla.com/search?q=15010-MCE-H51

·
Registered
482 Posts

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
Greg,

Does using the Honda cup wrench require the removal of the lower plastic part?

Ken
Good question ... however, I don't know. I've never removed an oil filter on a 5th gens with that tool. I actually have it for 6th gens.

However, I'll try and let you know.

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
the fitment list is incomplete... I can add 2005 ST1300 and 2001 CB900F but then Honda tends to use the same filter on everything... so the filter wrench will fit on all the filters..
I know ... and just when I thought my tag would have meaning "Advice is like cooking ... I always try it before I feed it to others !!!" So you'll either have to trust my info, or ..... you could look up the oil filter number for a 2005 ST1300 and compare that number to one for a 5th gen.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/2003/gl1800-a-gold-wing/cylinder-block

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/2005/st1300-a-st1300/oil-pump-oil-pan

·
Registered
198 Posts
I tried to remove the oil filter on ourv2018 GW DCT Tour with the 65-67mm cup wrench. No go. I used a small strap wrench I have had for years to remove small filters and it worked just fine. The factory cranked that filter down pretty tight.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I tried to remove the oil filter on ourv2018 GW DCT Tour with the 65-67mm cup wrench. No go. I used a small strap wrench I have had for years to remove small filters and it worked just fine. The factory cranked that filter down pretty tight.
Same here. Just did first change this past weekend. The 65-67 cup nearly failed me. I had to stick a rubber glove into the cup to give it extra grip. The factory sure did have mine on real tight. But it came off and the new one was put on like it should have been.

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
Greg,

Does using the Honda cup wrench require the removal of the lower plastic part?

Ken
Yes ... the Honda cup wrench can be used to remove/install a Honda oil filter on a 5th gen without removing the lower center cowl.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts