GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you point me to an on-line primer on GL1800 Tupperware removal? Ineed to get inside the beast to install some electronic gizmos and don't know where to start. On covered BMWs, one basically starts at the bottom and works up. Is it the same with the Goldwing? TIA

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
I also recommend a manual. AND

You start by the ignition key.

Lots of fasteners. I group them in zip lock bags.

The plastic is easier to work with when warm.

Most of the fasteners are the shoulder bolt variety so make sure the shoulder is in the hole and both pieces are lined up before tightening,

Nothing needs to be "forced".

"Release the tabs" means the piece is held in place by small tabs that you get your fingernails under and lift.

Certain parts are held in place with pegs and rubber grommets. A dab of silicone grease on the grommets makes for easier reassembly. Side covers; however have been known to blow off.

Bungee straps and zip ties are handy for holding stuff out of the way. IE: holding the meter panel up while servicing the forks.

The clear coat on the paint is very good and most scuffs finisher power polish out.

The electrical connecters all have a way of releasing. Good luck. Check Fred’s videos.

Lift the trunk prior to removing the seat.

Make sure you plug in your seat and that the "pucks" are positioned prior to reinstall. Lube the seat retention bolts.

Make sure you plug in your antenna before reinstalling the top shelter.

Make sure you plug in you meter panel cover before reinstalling.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks **** and George. Oh well. I can do it! I took apart a couple Pacific Coasts to install electronic cruise controls so the Wing should be a piece of cake. Surely the GL1800 Tupperware is at least a full generation ahead of the PC800???

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
This might help.... meter switches plug in front of the ign switch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts