GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are planning a trip from NE PA down skyline drive and the BRP and we are looking for sites to see. Been down that way several times and did the Dragon, Cherohala and all the stuff associated with it but always been in a hurry because of time restraints and never got to stop and smell the roses. This time we got 9 days to just cruise on our new GL 1833 and take in some natural beauty. Plan on going to Front Royal to enter onto Skyline Drive then the BRP to Maggie Valley to Wheels Through Time (been there done that but too good to pass by) then maybe heading down to Woodstock GA to ride Max's Traxxion Dynamics equipped GL then north along a different route (suggestions) seeing sites along the way. Places to stay and eat are appreciated too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have done the brp several times,,, havent found much to stop and look at other than the breathtaking views,,,,sorry i know thats not much help,,, you have a great trip planned my friend,,, trying to hit up wheels through time myself this year. I found the Skyline drive part of the brp kinda boring,, 35mph for 100 mls or so,,,,I did it just to say i did the whole enchilada,,,,I do love asheville north carolina,,,, i usually stay there a day or so you might try that out

·
Registered
640 Posts
Brp

My wife and I stayed at the High Meadows Lodge, Right on the pkwy. Rustic cabins, very peaceful and pretty, The deer wander around where you can almost touch them. A big rustic great hall to eat in, Just a nice place to kick back and relax, but I would call ahead and book room because I'm pretty sure it gets booked up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
In southern Virginia just off the BRP on VA-8 is a small, but good, restaurant at Tuggles Gap. Tuggles Gap is on the SE side of the BRP.

Mabry Mill is on the parkway a few miles south of Tuggles Gap and is one of the most photographed places in Virginia. There is also a good restaurant there, but it can be overrun by tourists at times.

At Laurel Springs, NC (at milepost 248) is a good restaurant and motel called Freebornes. It's only about 100 yards off the parkway on the NW side. It can be a Harley zoo on summer weekends.

allen

·
motorcycle cowboy
935 Posts
D-Day Memorial in Bedford, Va. is worth your time. Mt. Airy, Blowing Rock and Boone, N.C. are interesting towns to visit also.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Everyone has their own likes and dislikes about the BRP. In my opinion, the best part is from the VA/NC line to Cherokee. Every pull out was originally quite scenic but they have been allowed to grow to the point that the view in many of them is obstructed to the point where there isn’t much to see. I think it is still a nice ride, however, but don’t get up that way as often as I once did.

·
Registered
616 Posts
My wife and I stayed at the High Meadows Lodge, Right on the pkwy.
Yep, I was just at Big Meadows last week!

I've ridden the length of the BRP + SD several times, I love the ride. I will admit however that I think the section of the BRP from Cherokee to the VA/NC state line is the best and most scenic.

One of my favorite places to hit along the parkway is Mt. Mitchell, the highest mountain peak east of the Mississippi River. It's just a bit NE of Asheville right on the parkway. Good food in the Lodge up there too.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
My wife and I are planning a trip from NE PA down skyline drive and the BRP and we are looking for sites to see. Been down that way several times and did the Dragon, Cherohala and all the stuff associated with it but always been in a hurry because of time restraints and never got to stop and smell the roses. This time we got 9 days to just cruise on our new GL 1833 and take in some natural beauty. Plan on going to Front Royal to enter onto Skyline Drive then the BRP to Maggie Valley to Wheels Through Time (been there done that but too good to pass by) then maybe heading down to Woodstock GA to ride Max's Traxxion Dynamics equipped GL then north along a different route (suggestions) seeing sites along the way. Places to stay and eat are appreciated too.
I would pass on skyline drive and port royal it's not much of anything to look at and the only hotel half way though us crowded, way way overpriced and in not much condition. The brp is all awesome scenery at every stop Linn Cove Viaduct Linville Caverns Grandfather Mountain Linville waterfall Little Switzerland I would avoid boone at all cost North Carolina it's a very small crowded town it was very crowded with locals four five years ago now has to be way worse Linville Gorge Cades Cove where the black bears are Clingmans Dome highest part of the Blue Ridge Mountains Parkway see for several States we will usually ride and then start gauging our time and call for a room around noon time but like I said don't waste your time in Boone North Carolina will be sorry good luck hope you got great weather the speed and occurs of the Blue Ridge Parkway are superior to any of the other part ways around there meaning you comfortably turn your not going to get much out of 3rd gear 45 miles an hour nice roads easy driving

·
Registered
75 Posts
D-Day Memorial in Bedford, Va. is worth your time. Mt. Airy, Blowing Rock and Boone, N.C. are interesting towns to visit also.
Always loved the Peaks of Otter which is right at Rt 43 where you head down to Bedford, VA. There is a lodge there with good food and a mountain (Sharp Top) you can hike up if you're into that.

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
We always enjoy riding the crossroads from the ridge to the valleys below.

Often we will do that on both sides, before continuing on to the next twisty crossroad.

·
Registered
972 Posts
We always enjoy riding the crossroads from the ridge to the valleys below.

Often we will do that on both sides, before continuing on to the next twisty crossroad.

Good examples are Rt 60 to Buena Vista, Rt 43 to Buchanan, Rt 80 to Rt 40 and Rt 276 or 215 to Waynesville.

·
Vendor
17,813 Posts
We're a big fan of the Pisgah Inn. It's the government lodge right on the Pkwy. If you don't spend the night there, at least stop for a meal. Both food and view are awesome ... even if you have to wait 30mins for a table. Asheville exists because of the Biltmore. I's not far from the Pkwy and worth a trip if you're into how the rich and famous once lived. Also, you might want to ride over the Smokies and spend a day in Gatlinburg and be sure to ride the most famous m/c rode in the world, the Dragon ... 318 turns in 11 miles.

http://www.pisgahinn.com
https://www.biltmore.com/
https://www.gatlinburg.com

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts