GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I along with another couple will be in the North West part of Georgia during the third week of September. We will be staying at our timeshare in the Villa Rica area. I am looking for some good routes to ride and also some popular local restaurants to visit.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Gary

·
Registered
2,479 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
take hwy101 up to Rome, hwy27 up to Summerville go west on 48 to Mentone Ala. Then check out Desoto State Park and falls. take hwy89 down to Ft. Payne (Alabama Fan Club) go east on 35 to Little River Canyon ask a local how to get to the road that runs along the rim of the canyon down to 273, it's a good county road with lots of switchbacks and interesting points just be careful at the south end because it is STEEP. Then 273 to Leesburg, hwy 9 south to 278 east back to 101. Not a long trip but lots to see if you like to see natural areas without a lot of traffic

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Elrod,

Any more suggestions everyone?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
take hwy101 up to Rome, hwy27 up to Summerville go west on 48 to Mentone Ala. Then check out Desoto State Park and falls. take hwy89 down to Ft. Payne (Alabama Fan Club) go east on 35 to Little River Canyon ask a local how to get to the road that runs along the rim of the canyon down to 273, it's a good county road with lots of switchbacks and interesting points just be careful at the south end because it is STEEP. Then 273 to Leesburg, hwy 9 south to 278 east back to 101. Not a long trip but lots to see if you like to see natural areas without a lot of traffic
Thanks Moonrunner, We may give that one a try because we had already talked about going to Ft Payne to the Alabama Fan Club. We were there years ago, but would like to go back.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The Mt. Cheaha area located in the Talladega Nat'l forrest has some nice motorcycle roads. The Mt Cheaha lodge and restaurant is at the top and is known as the highest point in Alabama. We spent a night there years back and really enjoyed the stay and the restaurant. Probably about a ~200 mile roundtrip from VillaRica, Ga. depending on how far south you go. We chose not to ride the gravel/dirt roads on the west side(Horn Valley Rd??), but there are other roads leading south down toward Ashland and Goodwater. The roads were in good condition at that time, but that was about 2-3 yrs back.

http://www.stateparks.com/talladega.html

Ride safe whichever direction you go and Enjoy!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Mt. Cheaha area located in the Talladega Nat'l forrest has some nice motorcycle roads. The Mt Cheaha lodge and restaurant is at the top and is known as the highest point in Alabama. We spent a night there years back and really enjoyed the stay and the restaurant. Probably about a ~200 mile roundtrip from VillaRica, Ga. depending on how far south you go. We chose not to ride the gravel/dirt roads on the west side(Horn Valley Rd??), but there are other roads leading south down toward Ashland and Goodwater. The roads were in good condition at that time, but that was about 2-3 yrs back.

http://www.stateparks.com/talladega.html

Ride safe whichever direction you go and Enjoy!!
Thanks Rdy2Ride,
I just did a route in mapsource from our timeshare to Cheaha State Park. It looks like 129 miles round trip plus whatever riding we do in the national forrest. I appreciate the info. :excited:
Gary

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is that timeshare in Treasure Lakes?
I don't think so Joe.....It's the Wyndham resort south of the interstate. I think it's called Wyndham Plantation.

·
Registered
804 Posts
FloridaRedWing, sorry we missed you! Hopefully our schedules and paths will cross at some point in the very near future!

Enjoy your trip and be safe! :thumbup:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Our rides so far

Monday we went to Cheaha state park and ate at the restaurant in the park. What an awesome view from our table. The waitress showed us that we could see Birmingham from there and it was 95 miles away. Part of Talledega race track was also visible. It's supposed to be the highest point in the state of Alabama.
Tuesday we went to Pine Mountain and did the overlook from there.
Today we went to Cloudland Canyon State Park. Again, it was awesome.
Probably won't ride too much tomorrow. Just rest up some for the ride back to Lakeland on Friday.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Glad y'all are having a good time and pretty good weather to ride in , just got back from Miami, sorry I couldn't meet up with you. Maybe in April, we are planning on going back to the Keys. have a safe trip home. Kenneth

1 - 12 of 12 Posts