GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the modular Helmets with the solar visors. But! I am looking for the most quiet helmet out there. I generally ride 65-75 MPH and using a headset can be a real pain, as in noisey. I own a GL1800 with an extra tall windshield.

Need recommendations by those that have used their helmets that are quiet.

Thanks in advance! :bow:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Not a HJC Symax II

·
Registered
707 Posts
We purchased tons of helmets searching for a quiet one. We found that in the quiet department, they all suck. We finally purchased custom fitted ear buds and love them. Best investment we ever made.

I really like the modular Helmets with the solar visors. But! I am looking for the most quiet helmet out there. I generally ride 65-75 MPH and using a headset can be a real pain, as in noisey. I own a GL1800 with an extra tall windshield.

·
Registered
501 Posts
wear ear buds
the best of both worlds
the helmet you want
no wind noise
and the best quality sound you can get
i have some made by big ear;)

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
I've had Nolan, Vega, Fulmer, HJC, Shoei...the quietest is SHoei RF1000....full face, sorry not a modular...that would be noisier due to the opening...

·
Registered
531 Posts
more info on ear buds

I would be very interested in hearing more about these ear buds, ie; which particular brand/model did you get, how does it plug into the Goldwing audio system? Do you need some form of adaptor? Where do you go to have them custom made?

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
If you have the tall windshield, you should not be getting a lot of wind buffeting around your head. I'm thinking of purchasing a Nolan with the headset already installed with the 5800 series i believe, whichever is the better quality. Each helmet with headset installed runs about $400.00. let me know if anyone has that set up or not.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
This always seems to be a hard subject to "define" what is "quiet".... those that have had many different helmets can give a good opinion. I've always used the Nolan modular helmets...I've never considered one "loud"... I've use a Arai for my CBR.. seems about the same..

I've ridden with earplugs, certainly quieter, but can't listen to music this way...

Considering how quiet a GW is, and how well it does manage air flow... I've never considered helmet noise to be an issue...

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

I think that which helmet is quietest is really going to be dependent upon your liking. Every helmet fits every head different. Your best bet is to just try on helmets till your happy with your decision. Maybe consider starting with the Shoei Multi-Tec. That was my choice but I had to buy 2 helmets and money was an issue. I got a smoking deal and I bought the Nolan N102; I am very happy with it and I especially like the N-Comm feature.

If you have the tall windshield, you should not be getting a lot of wind buffeting around your head. I'm thinking of purchasing a Nolan with the headset already installed with the 5800 series i believe, whichever is the better quality. Each helmet with headset
installed runs about $400.00. let me know if anyone has that set up or not.
I ride with the Nolan N102 and the 584 series J&Ms. While the N102 is by no means quiet but with the headset in place, they actually seal a bit over the ear (for me anyway) and reduced wind noise quite a lot. The sound/music is much more crisp and clear. Your mileage may vary.

There are several places that sell them; J&M for one and Sierra M/C Electronics is another. You could also build them separately and install the headset yourself; that is what I did.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
:flg:

I have an old GL-1800, I know its not a fancy late model with big amplifiers and all that.

I listen through the speakers, turn volumn to about 22 auto volume set at HI and can ride up to 90 mph and still hear the tunes loud and clear !!

I wear a HJC flip up and everything is fine !!

JMHO :cool:

:flg:

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
For modulars the only one I have tried is the Shoei Multitec,and have been very happy this modular it's a good fitting quiet modular helmet.

For a much lighter and quieter helmet my Shoei X-11 Full Face has to be the quietest helmet I have ever worn.This is a great long distance traveling helmet lightwieght,quiet,and very areodynamic with little wind drag

Both helmets are equipped with the j&m 584 headsets

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
Its gonna be tough to make comparisons and what fits one person may not fit another. I have sort of a round face and large head and my Shoie 3/4 has enough attenuation to make it difficult to hear conversation when stopped. I have a Tulsa Too Tall shield and mirror wings so wind noise is not a problem for me any way. I also wear Etymotic Research insert phones for music and intercom. Look for a heavy/thick style that fits your head and then go for a good snug fit.Ear buds with the mini jack need an adapter such as those sold by Ed of EdSets and lets you use your mic as is.

prs

·
Vendor
21,390 Posts
Shark recently released a new modular helmet (Evoline) that really looks nice. I had the chance to look at one in a dealership, and really liked it. But I have no idea how quiet/noisy it is.

I think you will have a hard time finding any modular helmet that is quiet.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Here is how to deal with the air noise so it will never bother you again. Go buy which ever model you like. Make sure you buy it at least 3 sizes too small. Then velcro some hard nuts with the shells inside the top of your new helmet. You will NEVER EVER be thinking about air noise again as long as you are using this setup!!!! LOL's OR, ride a Harley with custom pipes!!
I don't think they have yet developed a modular helmet that is real quiet. Every time there is a new model out I just at the articles to see what they say about it. Same, every time, noisy!!!

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
I use the purple foam ear plugs they sell at WalMart. They're keep and they quiet my ride down immensely. I am so used to the lack of wind and bike noise that I can't ride more than 100 feet before I realize I forgot to put them in.

In spite of what you may think, music and CB communications are actually better and/or easier to understand. All they really filter out is the noises you don't want to hear.

·
Registered
306 Posts
For a much lighter and quieter helmet my Shoei X-11 Full Face has to be the quietest helmet I have ever worn.This is a great long distance traveling helmet lightwieght,quiet,and very areodynamic with little wind drag
A big +1....

Without a doubt the best helmet I have ever had. Light & quiet...

I now have two...and will buy nothing else...

YMMV...

·
Mad UK Winger
356 Posts
I own a laser modular with the sunvisor, its quiet enough for me to use my radio for instructing and hear everything clearly in return, its about the quietist modular i could find and its reasonably priced at 160.

plus it comes with a great mouth peice for the wifes too hehe.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Every combination of head/helmet makes the combination unique. Quiet on one head can be extremely noisy on another. I don't believe anyone else can tell you which helmet is the quietest. Good luck with your search though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts