GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure I blew the fuse that controls the circuit associated with the power supply in the storage box in the fairing on the left hand side of the bike. I opened up the fuse box and checked all the fuses, but they all seem intact. Is there a fuse located somewhere else that controls this power supply, or did my 61 year old eyes just miss the failed fuse? :oops:

If the fuse for this supply is indeed one of the fuses in the box with the others, could someone point me to which one it is/might be so I can focus in on one in particular?

Thanks in advance for the help. :bow:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Depending on the brand, who installed it, etc, the socket might have a dedicated fuse in the wiring.

If the main fuses look ok, pull the compartment out and trace the wiring.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fuse is in the main fuse box left side rear of battery Looks like fuse 21?
is your audio working?

Audio is fine. Just not getting power from the socket.

I'll check out fuse 21 right now.

thanx!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fuse is in the main fuse box left side rear of battery Looks like fuse 21?
is your audio working?

On the bright side, I am getting really good at pulling the fuses. On the down side, every one looks intact.

sigh

:shrug:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Depending on the brand, who installed it, etc, the socket might have a dedicated fuse in the wiring.

If the main fuses look ok, pull the compartment out and trace the wiring.

There is no 'brand'. Everything on my bike is stock as Honda built it. I'll check with a tech at my dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Please let us know what you find. I have exactly the same problem right now.
Will do.

I'm taking my bike in for an oil/oil filter change in the am after completing my annual 4000 + mile trip from Denver to the East Coast to visit the grandchildren. Will check with the tech and then post whatever I find out.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
mine has an inline AGC fuse under the left box. You can just pop the plastic rivets and pull the box. Mine was only a two amp or some stupid thing. It now has a ten amp in it. no bid deal to get to.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
It is a 5 Amp fuse, Light brown or Beige whichever color you call it. If I remember right it is the top or close to the top on the right side. Yes you do have to pull it to see if it is blown and that is not always clear but if it too hazy to see replace it. You need to get some extras until you find what has blown it but that circuit will not take a load, mine runs my Sirius radio and extra GPS. The wiring is very light for that so don't try to make it pull more Amps than it is supposed too.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is a 5 Amp fuse, Light brown or Beige whichever color you call it. If I remember right it is the top or close to the top on the right side. Yes you do have to pull it to see if it is blown and that is not always clear but if it too hazy to see replace it. You need to get some extras until you find what has blown it but that circuit will not take a load, mine runs my Sirius radio and extra GPS. The wiring is very light for that so don't try to make it pull more Amps than it is supposed too.
I checked those but they appear to be intact.

What nailed it was my mini-air compressor. I was stupid enough to connect it to the socket instead of my direct line to the battery...:oops:

Sounds like there may be an in-line fuse under the box. Will find out tomorrow and post any solution I come up with.

·
Registered
171 Posts

What nailed it was my mini-air compressor. I was stupid enough to connect it to the socket instead of my direct line to the battery...:oops:

Sounds like there may be an in-line fuse under the box. Will find out tomorrow and post any solution I come up with.
I did the same thing the first day I got my new goldwing home, what I found when calling the dealer after checking the fuses is that the hondaline power socket that they installed in the left front storage pocket had a 2 amp fuse
in the line going to the socket. If you remove the left hand pocket and follow
the wire coming off the socket to the connector it attaches to you will see the in line fuse holder with the 2 amp fuse.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts

If you know it is stock there is no in-line fuse. Take the extra 5 Amp fuse in the panel and start switching them and you will find it. Yeah the air pump will do it, I had to find that out for myself several years back. I bought the fitting that hooks to my battery tender and put it on the end of my compressor so I run it straight off the battery.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I did the same thing the first day I got my new goldwing home, what I found when calling the dealer after checking the fuses is that the hondaline power socket that they installed in the left front storage pocket had a 2 amp fuse
in the line going to the socket. If you remove the left hand pocket and follow
the wire coming off the socket to the connector it attaches to you will see the in line fuse holder with the 2 amp fuse.
Now I want to know what you find. My 08 does not have a in-line fuse in the wire from the socket to the harness and if it is in the harness it would take someone smaller than me to get it. Mine was a 5 Amp in the main fuse box.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Their is no "stock" power socket they all are installed by the dealer or owner, not at the factory. If the dealer put it in, both the ones made for the goldwing
or the st1300 will fit. The socket for the st1300 has a 2amp fuse in line and the same connector that the goldwing uses, some dealer prefer to use the one with the fuse in line for both bikes so that they don't have to keep both in stock.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
If you have a meter unplug the 12v power source at the plug and play connector see if you have 12volts from the factory harness you could have a wire in the connector that has came loose?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Their is no "stock" power socket they all are installed by the dealer or owner, not at the factory. If the dealer put it in, both the ones made for the goldwing
or the st1300 will fit. The socket for the st1300 has a 2amp fuse in line and the same connector that the goldwing uses, some dealer prefer to use the one with the fuse in line for both bikes so that they don't have to keep both in stock.
I called it "stock". Maybe I should have been clearer and said that when I bought the bike new there was a cigarette lighter socket in the sealed plastic bag with the Owner's Manual and I used it but it did not have a in-line fuse holder. I drilled a 1" hole in the left fairing pocket snapped it in and plugged it into a connector that was behind the left high beam.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I called it "stock". Maybe I should have been clearer and said that when I bought the bike new there was a cigarette lighter socket in the sealed plastic bag with the Owner's Manual and I used it but it did not have a in-line fuse holder. I drilled a 1" hole in the left fairing pocket snapped it in and plugged it into a connector that was behind the left high beam.
I just wanted to make the point that the hondaline socket used in the OPs
bike might have a in line fuse and he needs to pull the storage pocket to
check for it, or look for a loose connector, if the fuse in the fuse box is good.
Just trying to share what I learned the hard way.
Towmoter and Touring Professor please post what you find additional knowledge is good thing!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I just wanted to make the point that the hondaline socket used in the OPs
bike might have a in line fuse and he needs to pull the storage pocket to
check for it, or look for a loose connector, if the fuse in the fuse box is good.
Just trying to share what I learned the hard way.
Towmoter and Touring Professor please post what you find additional knowledge is good thing!
I was stating what I knew from my experience. You knew something that was different and it might be his problem so he needed to know it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you know it is stock there is no in-line fuse. Take the extra 5 Amp fuse in the panel and start switching them and you will find it. Yeah the air pump will do it, I had to find that out for myself several years back. I bought the fitting that hooks to my battery tender and put it on the end of my compressor so I run it straight off the battery.

WOW!

When I said it was 'stock', what I meant was that the socket was not something I installed. I bought the bike new, and it had the female socket (cigarette lighter-type) in the left fairing pocket when I bought it. I purchased an insert that would let me use the same make plug that fits my BMW female connector sockets.

I am absolutely sure that I blew the fuse (wherever it is) with the air compressor, since the compressor started, stopped, and when I hooked it up to a direct line from the battery ran fine, and my IPOD charger when inserted into the socket now generates no power.

I guess I can try every 5 amp fuse, but I think I'll just ask the tech when I take it in tomorrow. Will post what I find out. Reading the responses, not sure that what I have will apply to others.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts