GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a bike for the wife, she is taking her safety riding course the first of March, and is wanting a cruiser of some sort. She has ben looking at the Kawaski Vulcan 900 Classic LT, a good looking bike. ANy ideas, or anyone know of someone who has a good bike for sale......will be in the market in a month or so......:thumbup:

·
Registered
775 Posts
If I got a bike for my wife.........I think that would be a good trade.....

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I'm looking for a bike for the wife,
PICK ME.........Oh I thought you were looking for a "biker" for your wife.
Me Bad

·
Smoky
1,190 Posts
I'd take any bike in trade for mine :wrong: ! hahahahaha
All joking aside. That would probably be a nice bike for her. Not sure if you are talking new or used but she may end up like most of us and grow tire of the 900cc bike very fast. Might want to pick up a good used bike to start her out on. That way she can learn to ride pretty good and then will know if riding is for her. If she likes it you can sell the used bike and then buy her a new one. If she doesn’t like riding, you will be out less money. Just a thought!

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I have a friend that has a Suzuki C50 which I think is an 800. Tricked out some with 2 sets of pipes, has like 4000 miles on it and think he is asking around 4500.00-5000.00 for it.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
They say the Honda 1300 VTX is a great bike.

I have an 1800 VTX and it's been flawless in over 50,000 miles. Matter of fact, I rode it today.

The 1300 isn't as heavy as the 1800. You might be able to find a good used one around. :cool:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Check-out a Pacific Coast PC800. I bought one for my X and it was like a baby Goldwing. Handles likes a sport bike and lots of storage space. You can always get your money out of it if she wants something different later. You can usually find one on craigslist...

Attachments

·
Registered
688 Posts
Check out the new issue of Cruiser Magazine. They do a road test on a Vulcan 900 and the new Yamaha Star 950 Tourer. The 950 came out sounding pretty nice. Another nice mid-size bike is the Suzuki C50. Buddy of mine has the C50 and he has no problem keping up with the big bikes.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
My GoldWing was preceded by a Suzuki C50. Very nice bike. Water cooled, Fuel injection, shaft driven, nice sound.

Popular among both men and women riders. The only reason I sold it was to buy the Wing, so we could ride longer distances two-up more comfortably.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Check-out a Pacific Coast PC800. I bought one for my X and it was like a baby Goldwing. Handles likes a sport bike and lots of storage space. You can always get your money out of it if she wants something different later. You can usually find one on craigslist...
Had two of those. One was a white 89, other was a red 98. They are a 800 Shadow with clothes on - pretty much bullet-proof, with lots of luggage space, good handling, and will run with the big dogs. They actually remind you of a Goldwing that was left in the rain and shrunk a little. But for $2500 more or less, a great starter bike, with both cruiser and touring capability. Really, just a little ahead of their time, but getting a little long of tooth. If its a cruiser she wants, then get a VTX or Shadow. They are good rigs also.

·
Registered
871 Posts
If she likes the seating position of a cruiser she will not like the PC800. If she does not know what she likes then she might like it. I saw two Yamaha Star bike side by side and don't know wich was wich but one looked real long and stretched out the other looked more compact with handle barsback more. The smaller one looked lik a better fit for a smaller rider and did not look as heavy as the other one.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm looking for a bike for the wife, she is taking her safety riding course the first of March, and is wanting a cruiser of some sort. She has ben looking at the Kawaski Vulcan 900 Classic LT, a good looking bike. ANy ideas, or anyone know of someone who has a good bike for sale......will be in the market in a month or so......:thumbup:
Now that I have the '09 Wing, I have a loaded Honda '07 1100 Spirit for sale.

The local dealer has it listed on Craigslist for me.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I would go with the Suzuki C50. I had one and the seat was 27" off the ground if I remember right. Dee and I road it 525 miles one day so it is ridable. Plenty of power also. Should be able to pick up a good used one for $3400-$4000.

·
The Boss
1,289 Posts
My first bike was an 1100 Shadow Spirit - plenty of power... low to the ground, easy to handle/etc. I had the option of having a PC, but just wasn't my "style" so to speak.

From there went to Valkyrie Tourer - to Valkyrie Interstate. Went to a BMW R1150RT due to neck surgeries, but it was just toooooo tall for me.

I'm now on a 1800VTX, and so far, love it!

1300's are VERY popular.

My vote would be for something like the 1100Shadow Spirit. Don't bother spending the $$$ on something smaller, as she'll grow out of it quickly.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hello, I would highly recommend the VTX 1300, great bike, lots of acc. available, and lots of women favor the low seating position and is a great handling bike!! Randy

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I think the Pacific Coast PC800, Silver Wing, Suz 650 Burgman would be a good choice, if taking trips. I have a Suz C50 and enjoy riding it but it is not very comfortable for me on a long trip (guess the Wing has ruined me and getting older) would also think that the VTX1300 would be a good shorter distance MC also.

But all that is irrelevant, she needs to ride as many as she can. She then can make an informed choice. It also would be a good idea to buy a used bike to start with, JIC. That way u would not be subject to take a big hit if it turns out she doesn't want to ride her own.

The other issue is to pick one that has a dealer, close, that u can trust.

Good Luck:p
:biker:

·
Registered
246 Posts
You could not ask for a nicer bike than the Vulcan 900. I had an 06 model LT, great bike, if you do get one do go the Scootworks.com and buy the larger front pulley (belt drive) installed will correct the speedometer error and lower the rpm's. No change in power. Wallacem

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Take her size (height mostly) into consideration and make sure the bike you get for her to practice and learn is something size-appropriate.

I got my wife a VLX600 used to practice for a while and then a VTX1300C (lowest seat height, she's not tall) for the on.

Not sure others will agree, but I sure did more dumb stuff on my first bike and wished it had been used vs. replacing parts on totally new bike...LOL.

Hope she enjoys whatever you find.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Another vote for the Suzuki C50 or pre-2005 when they were called the Volusia. 800 CC and I have one. It's a fun little bike; but I can ride at 70-75mph all day and get 50mpg. You can pick up a used one for about $2,800-$4,500. There are a couple for sale on www.volusiariders.com. The pre-2005 are carbed while the later ones have FI and floorboards. Other than that they are almost identical. Easy to service and get parts and there are a ton of accessories availble. Shaft drive so very reliable.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts