GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 GL1800 and I updated my front speakers to Polk Audio 501 and J&M 120 Watt speakers in the back. I also installed the Rockford Fosgate Punch PBR 300 X 4 Amp. It sounds good at mid level but cuts off when volume is turned up (I guess not enough power from battery) it gets super hot in my trunk and can't put anything else in there. Everything is wired correctly even though it looks like crap right now before i went for the permanent install.

2012-11-12_13-18-00_366.jpg

I looked at the forum in the stereo upgrade and that is what I was aiming for, I was almost ready to drill the holes and the 12v fans are on the way but I want my space back plus a little more power. That is why I'm looking at a digital amp, so i can reclaim my storage. I saw the Kinter ma-150 & 200 as well as the Lepai 2020+ on eBay and other sites between - $20-$40. I'm not really sure that if they are designed to be used inline. I'm thinking that that these amps would be used to just boost up the power that is already coming from my system and should be fine, but just guessing. I know they are mainly for bikes that don't already have a sound system, but in my desperate mind... They should work????

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
That is a common complaint about that Rockford. It's a cooker.

I have searched diligently for a nice, medium power Class D amp, but there really isn't anything out there. The closest is the Alpine, but even it is more power than is needed. it also gets quite hot too. And it isn't small enough to fit in the cubby hole.

Instead of an external amp, my recommendation is to do some custom speaker cabinet work, similar to what some Russian riders have done. At the distance our speakers are from our ears, the power in the radio is more than adequate to blow your ears out. (If it has been upgraded.)

The speakers are the limitation, unless you are looking for a parking lot showoff system.

Manufacturers used to make some really nice, compact 40w RMS X 4 amplifiers. But it is no longer economical to manufacture them, and the sales volume would be too low to justify it when you can buy a quality 800 watt amp for $200

Class D amps are common with the OEM car industry. But they can justify it because they have a captive customer base.

The motorcycle industry just isn't on the radar of the electronics mfrs.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Check this Kicker amp out. http://www.kicker.com/pxi502

I am going to build a system for my ATV. I have read where these are working great on ATV systems and in bikes as well. I'm not sure how to change it to not use the control panel but it is a pretty cool amp.

·
Registered
20,014 Posts

I am going to build a system for my ATV. I have read where these are working great on ATV systems and in bikes as well. I'm not sure how to change it to not use the control panel but it is a pretty cool amp.
That amp looks like a great idea for a nice little sound system on an ATV, even though it is overpriced. But it would be a total waste on the Goldwing.

If you look at the specs, that Kicker's power output is actually less than what the stock radio puts out, considering that it's power output is rated at 2 ohms. At 4 ohms, the output would be far less. That is really puny by today's standards.

If you take away the Ipod controller, the amp itself is only worth about $25, if that. The $175 balance is for the Ipod controller.

You are actually onto an idea I have been fiddling with in my head for the past couple of weeks. Like everyone else, I have kept my search limited to 4 channel amps, simply because our radio has four channels. Unfortunately, any amp worth installing has to have a switching power supply, which increases the size of the amp.

But when you think about it, those tiny rear cabinets are hardly worth the bother. I am beginning to think that what we should be searching for is a 2 channel amp. I know I have seen two channel amps with switching power supplies that have a reasonably sized footprint. I am going to have to restart my search and change the criteria.

Any project like this is going to require some serious rework of the front cabinets so that the speakers can take advantage of the higher power.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Almost there

I tried all of this and the connections are according to the rattlebars upgrade except for the drilling the holes in the trunk compartment. I originally was going going through EC but they didnt have the amp i needed and they were looking to find another type of amp than what they use to sell for something better like the Fosgate and they didnt have anything available at the time. I considered replacing the radio controller through Larry, but since i already have the amp installed and dont feel like taking the contoller out, I have to make this work. I purchased one of those Chinesse class T digital amps with the radio and USB readers and installed it but it didnt work because all the power coming in from the from the factory speaker signal. Had to take it back out and put the cooker back in. I can't run the front and back speakers becasue it shuts off for a second because the battery/alternator not supplying enough power. I guess I need to look for another battery with more amps to push my amp.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

This is nice, but not really for a GL1800 withouth a lot of rework and mod to body to look clean.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That amp looks like a great idea for a nice little sound system on an ATV, even though it is overpriced. But it would be a total waste on the Goldwing.

If you look at the specs, that Kicker's power output is actually less than what the stock radio puts out, considering that it's power output is rated at 2 ohms. At 4 ohms, the output would be far less. That is really puny by today's standards.

If you take away the Ipod controller, the amp itself is only worth about $25, if that. The $175 balance is for the Ipod controller.

You are actually onto an idea I have been fiddling with in my head for the past couple of weeks. Like everyone else, I have kept my search limited to 4 channel amps, simply because our radio has four channels. Unfortunately, any amp worth installing has to have a switching power supply, which increases the size of the amp.

But when you think about it, those tiny rear cabinets are hardly worth the bother. I am beginning to think that what we should be searching for is a 2 channel amp. I know I have seen two channel amps with switching power supplies that have a reasonably sized footprint. I am going to have to restart my search and change the criteria.

Any project like this is going to require some serious rework of the front cabinets so that the speakers can take advantage of the higher power.
The PBR 300x4 is switchable from either 4 or 2 channels. I was thinking about somehow buylding some kind of small cabinet to put the amp in and figure out how to pipe in and out air with lcirculation from the 12V fans, but haven't figured out how to keep it simple and easy,

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
The PBR 300x4 is switchable from either 4 or 2 channels. I was thinking about somehow buylding some kind of small cabinet to put the amp in and figure out how to pipe in and out air with lcirculation from the 12V fans, but haven't figured out how to keep it simple and easy,
I understand. Most 4 channel amps can be bridged into two channels. But that doesn't solve the size problem. Most 4 channel amps won't fit into the trunk cubby hole. And that much power bridged is massive overkill for this application.

A two channel amp putting out a true 40-50 watts per channel can be made small enough using a conventional Class AB design, and without heat problems. That would be more power than those little speakers (and your ears) could ever handle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
check out the Arc audio ks 125.2 or the ks 125.4
not cheap but darn good
i have the 125.4 in the trunk of an 06 ultra and man dose it ROCK!!
never gets hot or shuts down and very clean sound..

·
Registered
192 Posts

Understood. From what I have read about the amp it's purpose in life is to provide a decent boost to music in applications where the alternator does not provide alot of juice. On their website they put a stereo on a lawnmower. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I understand. Most 4 channel amps can be bridged into two channels. But that doesn't solve the size problem. Most 4 channel amps won't fit into the trunk cubby hole. And that much power bridged is massive overkill for this application.

A two channel amp putting out a true 40-50 watts per channel can be made small enough using a conventional Class AB design, and without heat problems. That would be more power than those little speakers (and your ears) could ever handle.
This PBR300 X 4 is really small and was designed for motorcycles in mind. I guess it works best for bikes that don't care to use their side bags or trunks. A Wing is just like a garage, the more space you have, the more stuff you want to put in it. My 2" square fans came in the mail today form China, so I guess I will be drilling some holes in the trunk compartment to provide air for the amp and the CB module that is in there; I hope the heat don't mess with my CB. I already switch the amp from 4 to 2 channel so I have two left and two rights with no front to rear fade. I don't know if that makes a difference on how much amperage it will draw or how hot it gets, doubt it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts