GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I’m looking to buy a bike for two up riding.

I see that there was a frame cracking recall on the bike I’m considering.
Did the fix work?

Bike is priced at $5k
Looks good in ad, viewing it in person on Saturday. Around 65k miles on it.

Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hello all,
I’m looking to buy a bike for two up riding.

I see that there was a frame cracking recall on the bike I’m considering.
Did the fix work?

Bike is priced at $5k
Looks good in ad, viewing it in person on Saturday. Around 65k miles on it.

Thanks
If repair has been done then bike should be ok, I've not had any issues with my 2002 that had repair - Link to frame crack recall info;
Snapshots from bulletin.

Reactions: Wingsconsin

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
@SoCalVin something to be aware of is that a lot of the Honda dealerships won't work on a bike 10 yrs or older and like Techdude2000 said, some oem parts are getting difficult to find when needed for repairs.

Reactions: SoCalVin

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If repair has been done then bike should be ok, I've not had any issues with my 2002 that had repair - Link to frame crack recall info;
Snapshots from bulletin.
View attachment 385363
View attachment 385364
@SoCalVin something to be aware of is that a lot of the Honda dealerships won't work on a bike 10 yrs or older and like Techdude2000 said, some oem parts are getting difficult to find when needed for repairs.
Awesome! I’ll look for the punch!
then still try for an awesome deal!

thx

·
Premium Member
2003 GL1800
2,215 Posts
My 03 had the repair done and I've never given it a second thought through 35,000+ miles. If an 02 is in your budget, go for it. If your budget allows for a little more, I'd look for a good 2006 or above as the frame issues were resolved, larger radiators were installed, and few other upgrades from the previous models were incorporated. Either way, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Good luck.

·
Banned
72 Posts
If you don’t see the punch mark, you can still look up the VIN at Honda power sports and see if there is any open recalls, which is what you should do before purchasing. Perhaps it will be leverage in negotiating if there are any.

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Thanks everyone!
let’s see if I can get it for......
hmm $3500
Now were talking... (I love'd my 2002) wish I still had it.............
Just a suggestion here: I'd call the nearest Honda dealer to your home, and ask if they still service a 2002..... This would be my deal maker or breaker

Ronnie

·
GL1800 Doctor
21,090 Posts
One last note. Some wings have had the small frame tubes crack and even break. Before you put the $ down, closely inspect the horizontal frame tube under the battery at the passenger floor board. Look close for hairline cracks in the powder coat. Check both sides, but the battery/left side is the most common place for this to happen. This has nothing to do with the frame recalls/bulletins and Honda is turning a blind eye to it now due to the age.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
My very early production number 2001 (one of the very first of the 1800's built) has had the inspection done (VIN tag punch mark visible) but has not had the repair done. So far no issue(s) but it's always on my mind some since we often ride two up and occasionally pull the trailer.
If you are capable (and the forum is a huge help and incentive) of doing your own maintainence work I would pursue the purchase. If you aren't going to do maintainence on your own it may be best to see if a dealer will work on an early model. Apparently many dealers won't. Some parts may be hard to get or no longer available, but so far, most replacement maintainence items have been.
ECM failures happen as the models age and transmission issues (search "ghost shifting") sometimes cause an existing owner to sell and they seem to "forget" to mention it when passing off the old bike.
I've had to replace steering stem bearings and just typical maintainence so far but due for some "deeper" stuff. Air filter, brake fluid change/flush, etc.
If I were in the market now knowing what I learned after buying the 2001 I would have been looking at 2006 or preferably 2008 and newer.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Carbon Rim

·
Registered
721 Posts
Snapshots from bulletin.
View attachment 385363
View attachment 385364
I just had to look at my 2002 to see if I had the punch mark and I do
I just had the brake recall done last year done to it
So what I am trying to say they will do the recalls on these old bikes
And by the way I love my 2002 ,had it 3 years and put 40,000 miles on it

·
Registered
197 Posts
After 19 years I doubt you are going to find many cracked frames, but if you are really worried, perhaps your can arrange to take the bike to your dealer for a pre-purchase inspection.

Ask if the bike ever over heats. If the answer is yes budget for a new computer. Used ECMs are available if you do your research. Actually, there are plenty of used parts available making the older bikes quite economical to own.

The switches are pretty expensive, but since they can fail anytime without warning I guess you just need to be aware that sooner or later you will likely have trouble. Its' probably best to buy new replacement switches as opposed to used parts. Avoid using the 4-way flashers, because that button tends to fail often.

The other two issues, transmission problems and a failed alternator drive gear and more serious. Both require engine removal, which involves lots of labor, and costly parts. However if you get the bike cheap enough that may be a great deal for you. Removing the engine gives you the opportunity to replace the spark plug wires, inspect the coils and replace any that may be bad. Same with the coolant system, thoroughly clean and inspect everything replacing whatever is damaged.

In the end you could end up with a very reliable bike that is in no way obsolete!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After 19 years I doubt you are going to find many cracked frames, but if you are really worried, perhaps your can arrange to take the bike to your dealer for a pre-purchase inspection.

Ask if the bike ever over heats. If the answer is yes budget for a new computer. Used ECMs are available if you do your research. Actually, there are plenty of used parts available making the older bikes quite economical to own.

The switches are pretty expensive, but since they can fail anytime without warning I guess you just need to be aware that sooner or later you will likely have trouble. Its' probably best to buy new replacement switches as opposed to used parts. Avoid using the 4-way flashers, because that button tends to fail often.

The other two issues, transmission problems and a failed alternator drive gear and more serious. Both require engine removal, which involves lots of labor, and costly parts. However if you get the bike cheap enough that may be a great deal for you. Removing the engine gives you the opportunity to replace the spark plug wires, inspect the coils and replace any that may be bad. Same with the coolant system, thoroughly clean and inspect everything replacing whatever is damaged.

In the end you could end up with a very reliable bike that is in no way obsolete!
Ooh… more than I bargained for on this bike!
I’m passing. Thanks for the input.👍

·
Registered
124 Posts
Might want to read this article - more food for thought - don't let what might happen scare you off a good buy.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I wouldn't rule it out w/o looking at it carefully and in detail. Many of these items mentioned by myself and others also pertain to most of the first generation 1800's. True, the frame issues were taken care of (other than lower horizontal tubes) after 2004 and low speed cooling was improved (not perhaps "cured") after model year 2005.
Swithches, alternator drive and transmission (among several others) issues continue thru most years up thru 2012.
Be diligent with any used purchase.
One member on this forum has a early model 1800 with over 560k miles on it.

Reactions: SoCalVin

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have an 03, and an 01, neither have had the frame issue, both have been inspected by Honda and have a clean bill of health, I think that very few had to have a frame repair, although I don’t know the actual numbers ,
neither have had a cooling issue, they both function perfectly, I’ve had no problems getting any parts, as 01-10 years are the same,
if you like it and the recall frame issue has been checked by Honda, I’d buy it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts