GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like Dunlop will be starting the line, some time today.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/business/4433630.html

There is some key hourly wages in that article. Looks as though those guys were not making the great bucks that were reported in earlier threads.

I for one, am just glad that they are manufacturing again.

Any bets on when Motorcycle tires will be back at inventory levels for our secondary (non OEM) market.

My guess would be March some time.

Bulldog

·
Registered
113 Posts
Here's another article:

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/01/01/D8MCPMK00.html

And, I just love the last comment:

Dave Prentice, a worker on temporary assignment with USW Local 2L in Akron, anticipated a long healing process.

"There were a lot of wounds inflicted and people are going to have to heal and get back into the business of producing a quality product," he said.

So, shall we expect something less than a 'quality product' for the first few months? Or, is this the beginning of the 'negotiations' for the next contract?

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I hate to sound so crass, but they can keep those Dunflops for all I care. I just installed me new Metzler and it is smooth as silk. Better overall performace in my opinion.
I am glad that the workers are back on line and making money for thier Families. Thats the American way running sound. Also so HAl can sale tires as well.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Bulldog said:
There is some key hourly wages in that article. Looks as though those guys were not making the great bucks that were reported in earlier threads.

Bulldog
LOL Bulldog... gee, there's a surprise!!! A labor/management dispute where the employees' salaries and/or benefits were inflated to the press.

I'm shocked! :shock:

jhl:
Of course negotiations have already begun for the next contract. In the military there's an old saying that, one begins preparing for the next war the moment the final round is fired in the previous one... and LMR issues are no different.

However, I don't think you'll have to worry about an inferior product being produced. While there will probalby be very little 'small talk' or socializing between workers & supervisors... I'd bet that the normal buisness of production will go on as before.

To do anything less would not be in the best interests of either party.

JMO,
Tom
NATCA / AFL-CIO

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tom,

At $13 - $24 an hour, I don't think these line guys are going to have a lot of disposable income.

I guess if it is one of the few jobs in the area, it will have to do.

Not being smug here, but I doubt that I could work in a manufacturing facility like that, with all of the environmental conditions.

God Bless those workers. I hope that they become secure in their future somehow.

Bulldog

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I hear ya... 'Dawg.

It’s a decent starting wage for a career-progression job… but, even at the top of the scale for the 20-year guys & gals, they’ll never break $50,000.

Sad.

I better stop now before I climb all the way up on that soapbox.

Tom

·
Registered
234 Posts
Good New to me, hope that the supply for the Elite III's gets more plentiful. I have been a Metzeler fan for many years, and wouldn't buy anything else.
I bought a GL1800 a couple of months ago, and it had a set of the Elite III"s on it. I think that I have found my new tire. These seem to stick to the road wet and dry as well as my Metzelers; (which is why I loved them), but they ride nicer. Everything that I read about the wear on the E3's, from this forum,says that I will be buying another set of them when these are worn out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts