GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I'm been in that situation a few times back in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Some by choice and others by necessity. I used my built-in outriggers several times to keep the bike upright. The biggest problem was my frozen hands. Often times riding in the snow is not as slippery as riding where the traffic has cleared the pavement.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Reminds of a day long ago. I was stationed at RAF Bentwaters in Suffolk England. I lived on the coast in a town called Felixstowe and was driving to work one snowy morning and saw some very strange tracks in the snow on the road. There was three lines in the snow, about equal distance apart, snaking along the road in front of me. I was trying to figure out what could have possibly made these tracks about the time I came upon a local riding a moped with both feet dragging the ground! :shock:

·
lightley seasoned member
3,082 Posts
That's not snow. Try Wendover Nevada in the middle of a blizzard with no exit to be found LOL

·
Registered
593 Posts
Man I would have crapped my pants . . .
Several times . . . .

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I've had to ride several times in the snow, but not on my 1800. In 1982 I live in Charlotte and we occasionally got snow or ice and I had no other transportation, so... Well one day I'm sure the only other motorcyclist dumb enough to be riding in 4 inches of snow ended up right in front of me. This older wing had the neatest set of saddlebad guards, but they were all scratched up. I had no idea they were chromed metal skies on that pivoted down on command and became out riggers. he dropped them down when approaching an intersection and they worked rather nicely. They weren't perfectly straight, and I think the idea was if down partially they'd catch the bike and pull the back end straight if he lost control. I thought that was a cool system, but i couldn't catch up with him to investigate, too dam risky to satisfy my curiosity. I rode several hundred miles in 10+ inches on I-10 when they closed it one winter, wasn't too bad and I theorized if I ate it I'd just slide a mile dust off and go some more - fortunately it never happened.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I have rode in snow, but would not try it with out bare tracks to ride in. I saw a video of a Goldwing riding in snow and it kept spining out. Lyle

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'd have found a Holiday Inn Express and awakened the next morning a wiser man.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I can barely ride through a loose gravel parking lot........ never would make it in those conditions.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I'm sorry, but I don't care what the laws are in GA, I would have been lane splitting and/or shoulder riding at every opportunity. The cops would have never been able to catch up even if they saw me! LOL

·
Banned
2,608 Posts
In college I had a CB350, and often rode on snowy/icy streets, with my feet as outriggers to keep me up.

That was a much lighter bike. It seldom snows down here, and one ... unplesant ... experience with an ice patch on my GL1000 many years back convinced me that when the streets get icy, the bike is off the streets.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Had a similar situation once coming off the Chief Joseph into Cooke City. My seat and I were pretty well bonded!! :eek:4::eek:4:

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
When I lived in Duluth, MN I worked for the TV station downtown. One day in November we got about 4" of unscheduled snow. I declined an offer to get a ride home and hopped on my CB450. I lived 5 miles up on the hill. I made it home, but it was interesting. I was 24 then. Today, at 69, I'd of taken the ride.

I would never try that on a GL1800.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
:eek:4:
Doing that on something as heavy as the Wing wouldn't be fun. Don't think I'm brave enough to try either. Mention of snow in the forecast and the bike stays in the garage.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought a '73 Honda CL360 and that fall the VW's engine desided to blow up so I had to ride that bike to work through the winter. This was in Milwaukee and I worked in Menominee Falls so if it snowed I took State St. and the Monominee River Parkway using my feet as outriggers. Those brand new snowmobiling boots where plum worn out by spring.

Ah to be that young again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts