GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a loose grip on my throttle. As i ride, it takes about a 1/2 hour to make a complete revelution. Can anyone tell me the best stuff to glue it back on and how to avoid gluing the throttle shut. Thanks.
Roy

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Simple solution that I was told....

I kept having the left grip come loose after I installed the Kury. I had a friend tell me to wrap the handlebar with electrical tape and then spray some hair spray on it. After 10k plus miles it has yet to come loose. :D

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Get some grip glue from your Honda shop... and make sure not to use too much, and you won't have to worry about it getting stuck.

Or some swear by hair spray...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Get double sided masking tape and put it on the cleaned off steel of the bar. Wind it on at an angle leaving a quarter inch between the winds. Saturate it with lighter fluid and slide the grip on. Let stand untouched overnight. This is the way golf club grips are installed and they have to be cut off when changed. Be sure and put on plenty of lighter fluid.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Curt Fesler said:
Get double sided masking tape and put it on the cleaned off steel of the bar. Wind it on at an angle leaving a quarter inch between the winds. Saturate it with lighter fluid and slide the grip on. Let stand untouched overnight. This is the way golf club grips are installed and they have to be cut off when changed. Be sure and put on plenty of lighter fluid.
Curt,
He had a problem with the throttle side, which isn't metal... will this method work on the plastic throttle side? Just wondering.

Guessing it isn't a project to do with a smoke hanging out of your mouth :22yikes:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have not seen the set- up but know that all rubber golf grips are installed on fiberglass shafts in the same way so see no reason this would not work. The glue in the two sided tape turns slick and then sets up overnight. I have never seen a golf grip, properly installed, get loose.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
DON'T use lighter fluid! It will work but it will also flash. Use mineral spirits and put lots of towels under the grip to catch the over-flow. Yes, they do use lighter fluid to install golf grips (I've done it myself) and it does activate the glue on the double-sided tape but the danger is too great. Stop by any golfclub repair shop and they'll show how to use the tape as well as the mineral spirits...they might even give you the tape as you only need about eight inches.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the tips. Funny thing, I was just talking with a friend about regripping my golf clubs. I guess I can kill two birds with one stone. And not to worry, I don't smoke. Once again this board is the go-to place for info. Thanks again.
Roy

S

·
0 Posts
Yep I agree with the double sided carpet tape - make sure you use the cloth tape and not the plastic. Mineral spirits works real well and will not hurt the paint if it drips - I use the same thing on golf club grips myself and it works fine - Re-grip and out playing in just a few hours. It keeps the mosquito's away but not the boogies. :cry:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts