GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One side of my windshield pressure points does not snug up tight and the shield will jiggle.

Is this mechanism adjustable to tighten it up?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Most likely have to take it apart, replace the rubber friction pads, or use something else to provide the contact points on the shield.

Might have to tweak the compression arms a bit by bending them slightly.

One of the pads might have even fallen off. Or the rubber on the cross support might be compressed, fallen, whatever. Have to take the garnish off and take a look.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I believe that there is a turnbuckle on each lever by the mirrors somewhere just for that purpose. I've only been told this by folks in the know. Hope this helps.:shrug:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
One side of my windshield pressure points does not snug up tight and the shield will jiggle.

Is this mechanism adjustable to tighten it up?

Seeing you have a 03 you have two options.replace the windshield holder #9 here. http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_secti...ry=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=2003&fveh=3504

Or reverse the rubber pads on it so they can grip the shield again.

What happens over time it the pads develope into a wedge shape.when you spin/reverse their current position.they can then apply pressure again to hold the shield in place.

You need to remove the nose piece screws and lift it off ( two screws and two grommets hold it on) Then the windshield garnish two bolts under each mirror and the two bolts that were hidden by the granish lower nose piece.

Then you can see the 10mm nuts and 1 8mm bolt that hold the "Holder on the bike.the rubber pads are on it's backside.Spin them around.and replace the holder bolts and you'll see that it is not much tighter.

Unfortunately Honda won't sell just them rubber pads.They make you buy the whole holder.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I swapped the outboard rubbers (pretty compressed) with the inboard ones (good condition), and it is better, but still with the one on the left side, as I close the clamping lever, when it's about parallel with the ground, it's tight enough to the shield, but as I moved it down to full-travel, the clamp backs off maybe 1/32" or 1/16", releasing the tension on the shield so that it can still jiggle. The one on the right side seems to not have this backing-off behavior.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I swapped the outboard rubbers (pretty compressed) with the inboard ones (good condition), and it is better, but still with the one on the left side, as I close the clamping lever, when it's about parallel with the ground, it's tight enough to the shield, but as I moved it down to full-travel, the clamp backs off maybe 1/32" or 1/16", releasing the tension on the shield so that it can still jiggle. The one on the right side seems to not have this backing-off behavior.

Joe.you can remove the holder and bend it slightly so it makes contact on both sides for a better grip.Trial & error until it GRABS the shield.

Dealers won't bother doing this.get a new one they say.I say I'll fix it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rocky,

Love the sentiment, but I was not sure how bending the bar would have helped the outer edges as they are pretty much a fixed distance from the mechanism....so I took a slightly deeper look....

There is a bolt with a spacer, then a nut, the grab bar, and the final nut. I could have replaced the inner nut with some washers, and gone with a lock washer or something on the outer nut, but I decided to grind off about 1/16" from the spacer. This seems to have done the job.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts