GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While checking nuts, bolts & screws for tightness; found (4) that were significantly loose. Two in each saddle bag. All needed to be turned in 4+ turns.

Photo shows the screws in question.
I haven’t had the saddle bags apart (for accessories).

Anyone else run upon this?

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
Just wait until you pull off all the plastic and start checking those, I had a few bolts and zip ties just sitting in various areas. I guess they dropped them during assembly and instead of finding them, they just used a different one and kept going. Need to check the steering stem lock nut as well if you have it open. Set it to 76 ft lbs. Mine was not tight. I also discovered that the axle nut on the front was not even close to tight when I pulled the front wheel to install my balancers. Some bikes leave the dealership done right while others, not so much. My bike was a "not so much" but it's good now.

Reactions: INTHEWIND

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
I have one more paid for service at the selling dealer. When I get the bike back I will check all their work. On the initial setup they were very sloppy and cross threaded one bolt as well as leaving others out all together. Some dealers have no quality control and don't care.
My wife and I just got back from riding 75 miles each way to get our BMW work bikes serviced. The time and money that we paid was well worth it since we know that the service was performed properly.

·
Love The DCT
12,017 Posts
While checking nuts, bolts & screws for tightness; found (4) that were significantly loose. Two in each saddle bag. All needed to be turned in 4+ turns.

Photo shows the screws in question.
I haven’t had the saddle bags apart (for accessories).

Anyone else run upon this?
Have not run across any loose screws in the saddlebags.

:doorag:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Wondering if any accessories were installed at the dealership. Nothing loose on mine until I worked on it. lol

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wondering if any accessories were installed at the dealership. Nothing loose on mine until I worked on it. lol
No dealer installed accessories. Screws must have been loose from the factory. Haven’t found any other ones :grin2:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just checked mine and indeed snugged them up. I suppose it’s a very low torque spec but they were pretty loose. Thanks for the tip!

·
15 year Member
6,897 Posts
While you're at it you may want to check the “loose screw” in the drivers seat!!!

LOL

Mattbcnv

1 - 10 of 10 Posts