GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. I bought one. It's the stainless one from Wingstuff. I haven't had a chance to crawl around under the bike but wonder if anyone who's put on a belly pan can answer:

1. what gets loosened to put it on, and are any of the bolts removed or loosened only
2. does the front cowl need to come off for some reason or just simply have the front of the pan put up there and then put back on using the Dzus (sp?) fasteners
3. Dzus fasteners...do you unscrew them or....? Sounds like you turn them and something happens...how do you get them back on/in after removing the front part for an oil change for example

Anything else you can advise me on the installation? Not to be a goof, but wanted to get some input prior to struggling. Know I have to take the paper off etc. and know it goes on the bottom of the bike, you can take the front off etc. but THAT'S IT! :)

Now please...I bought it, know it may or may not cause an issue with heat. Know it may or may not cause a difference in handling (doubt it). Know it's stainless vs. aluminum, not vented, etc. Know I could have bought it from Hal (with sales tax and on small orders it's hard to get the price same). ....so please help me and don't flame me too bad? :bow:

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
The directions state to remove the 2 acorn nuts on one side and loosen the other side, slip the pan under the loosened side (under the lower cover) now place the pan under the other side. Slip the front pan part under the front cowl, align the fasteners and turn the fastener to latch. Sometimes the fasteners need a flat blade screwdriver assistance, to depress the spring latch to catch those little ears of the screw. I always have to use one one the left screw latch. Once you get the hang of it, no problems. You do not have to remove the lower cowl. I suggest to attach the front and pan several times before installing to get a idea of the process of the fasteners. I like mine and it has provided a sense of security.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
have an addon copy, alum. and flex in place. Once on, it is forgotten about! Except when you change the oil filter, keep looking at all the "new dings" in it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Belly Pan Installation

I installed my belly pan in about 10 to 15 minutes. Take it apart, look on the bottom sides of the bike for 4 nuts that hold on the lower side cowling just under the foot pegs.

Remove the 4 nuts, 2 on each side, and the gently pull the plastic side cowling loose from the exposed threaded screws sticking out where you removed the nuts.

Insert the edge of the belly pan with the hole to the rear left when facing the front of the bike under the side cowling and on to the exposed screws. Once the pan is on you can replace and tighten the nuts. Then repeat on the opposite side.

Once the larger part of the belly pan has been installed then you can install the front portion by sliding the front edge under the front cowling and then inserting the fasteners into the holes on the belly pan and locking them into place.

That should do it...Just a quick note, if the side cowling has never been removed it may seem very tight like it does not want to move.

Griff

·
Registered
4,115 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
wait until the Saturday lunch run and look at mine (or anyones's)
... one look will save a bit head scratching ...

Dennis

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

Had to take mine off, Here in West Texas we have so much wind that when it was on and riding into a head wind, the bike would lift up, come off the ground and while it is in the air you have no control on it. Pretty scary .. The other problem was it cooled the engine so cool, that the oil got to thick, had to change to 5W10 oil at those temperatures.

Removed it, put the right oil back in and now every thing is fine !! :roll:

JMHO :twisted:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys, Dennis will peek at your pan or someone's Sat. I think by looking at it it' evident I need to take the four nuts off like mentioned and really just need to fiddle with the fasteners, will do that tonight. Was hoping to spare some "laying on the garage floor cursing" time, know what I mean?

Ride safe all and see you at Lunch Dennis.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts

Had to take mine off, Here in West Texas we have so much wind that when it was on and riding into a head wind, the bike would lift up, come off the ground and while it is in the air you have no control on it. Pretty scary .. The other problem was it cooled the engine so cool, that the oil got to thick, had to change to 5W10 oil at those temperatures.

Removed it, put the right oil back in and now every thing is fine !! :roll:

JMHO :twisted:

Uhhh, have you ever given thought to writing a book of "Texas Tall Tales?"

LOL--that was a pretty good one. In Alaska, we call them "whoppers."

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a quarter of a turn and dzus are locked in place, do the right side first then the left
...three you go, thanks! Right side when sitting on the bike, right?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Be careful because it is very easy to snap the bolts off when you tighten the acorn fasteners. I fill mine acorn nuts with grease and just snug them with a socket and extension. I do not use a socket wrench.

Hector

thanks guys, Dennis will peek at your pan or someone's Sat. I think by looking at it it' evident I need to take the four nuts off like mentioned and really just need to fiddle with the fasteners, will do that tonight. Was hoping to spare some "laying on the garage floor cursing" time, know what I mean?

Ride safe all and see you at Lunch Dennis.

·
Registered
645 Posts
with's for when you can't get out of bed to tinkle :joke:

·
Registered
741 Posts
No need to remove the acorn nuts. Just loosen them a few turns and slip the thing up into the slots and snug them back. It really is not as hard as some say.

As for the Dzus fasteners, just look them over, be sure they are lined up, and push up and turn 1/4 turn. If you don't get it, just look at it and you will get it. It is not that hard.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
...okay after Bartman put the dang thing on at lunch today I feel totally like a ding-dong. It couldn't really be easier but THANKS to all who replied and helped. I honestly thought there was something more to this. Thanks again, Bartman.:bow:

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
...okay after Bartman put the dang thing on at lunch today I feel totally like a ding-dong. It couldn't really be easier but THANKS to all who replied and helped. I honestly thought there was something more to this. Thanks again, Bartman.:bow:
You're welcome Scott! Thanks for Lunch!!!!

Now I'm waiting for some one to post pic of my laying in the dirt putting it on... :roll:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts