GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Laura asked me to let u folks know, didn't go as smoothly as hoped, they had to put another one of those nitrogen bubbles in this eye like they had to do with the first eye so now he will b basically blind for at least a couple weeks until the bubble dissipates, i sure hope everything turns out well in the end

Laura's email address is [email protected] and i am sure she would appreciate hearing from some of you fine folks

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I apologize in advance for being confused. I am not sure who the person is that this post is about. I would like to add my get well wishes.
The post title says Loren. In the first paraghaph is says HE. Then is says Laura. Then it says SHE.
Could somebody clarify who the person is? I'm sorry, I'm not causing trouble, I just don't know :oops:

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Sure hope Loren heals real fast. We want to see him at the Spring Gathering in Kerrville, TX next year. He's been pretty faithful in making these and know he will, if he can. I hate the thought of having anyone fool around with my eyes, but know it is probably inevitable (cataracts).

Heal quickly Loren!

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I hope and pray for a speedy recovery. But I am curious, what does the nitrogen bubble do? I want to go and get my eyes done, but I am chicken of something going wrong in the operation.

·
Registered
20,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jan u are rite i should have been more clear, Loren Weeks and His wife Laura are from Reedsburg wi and pretty well known members of this board. Actually this board is the reason Loren and i met, we have put on a lot of fun miles together, i sure hope it continues

Steve the nitrogen bubble wasn't supposed to b needed for this eye but the way things worked out it became necessary. the way i understand it the bubble is supposed to put pressure on the eye somehow to help hold it together while it heals, pretty amazing if u ask me, most of Loren's eye problems are caused by diabetes

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
cycledude said:
Jan u are rite i should have been more clear, Loren Weeks and His wife Laura are from Reedsburg wi and pretty well known members of this board. Actually this board is the reason Loren and i met, we have put on a lot of fun miles together, i sure hope it continues

Steve the nitrogen bubble wasn't supposed to b needed for this eye but the way things worked out it became necessary. the way i understand it the bubble is supposed to put pressure on the eye somehow to help hold it together while it heals, pretty amazing if u ask me, most of Loren's eye problems are caused by diabetes
That makes sense to me. I just have worn glasses, now contacts, all of my life. I would like to have the procedure done, but I do not want to lose my eyesight. I have seena couple of people that had the operation and should not have. They could not see afterwards or their vision went alot worse. It pays to go to someone who can afford to turn you down. I know I will not go to the fly by night clinics.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Loren

Prayers abound from around the world just for you and yours. God Bless.

:sun1:

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
I sure hate to hear my pal Loren is going through such an ordeal with his eyesight. I will be thinking of the Weeks and pray for a successful outcome.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
I will continue to keep Loren in my thoughts and prayers.

I have talked with him a few times and get by his house alot but only stop in from time to time. I hope we can hook up and ride one of these times.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Update - Long post

Thank you Cycledude/Mike for making the post for me. I know how much this board and the people mean to Loren, and yesterday I just wasn't up to doing it myself.

Ok - where to start.

Original surgery was to the left eye, the end of Nov. 600+ zaps of laser, cataract removal, lens replacement, retina reattachment/nitrogen bubble. He had to keep face down for the first 12hours. So the bubble would "float" to theback of the eye. The bubble keeps "pressure" on the retina, so it will re-attach itself/heal. This takes anywhere from 4-8 weeks before the bubble will dissipate. The bubble keeps him from seeing anything. We had to cancel our vacation to Vegas, because altitude change could cause a major problem with the bubble. Had to eat some $$$ there - but who cares, the eyes are more important. Prognosis for left eye? Better, but overall will be 85% useless. The Diabetic Degeneration has taken away his forward eyesight, but can still see out the sides of the eye.

Right eye was yesterday - original surgery was to be laser (500zaps) and a general "cleaning up" of things. But they ended up doing another bubble... but because this eye is salvagable, he did a faster dissipating bubble 1-3 weeks. This was unexpected - hence the blindness and has thrown us into a very unexpected situation and we're learning to deal with as we go.

Today we went for a follow-up.. the Dr was very happy with the progress... and knows that "he's made things worse - but they will get better. It's just getting thru this "worse" part that's difficult.

This is not a fly-by-night clinic. Davis/Duehr/Dean are tops when it comes to things like this. Lasik surgery was developed here. I've met people in the waiting room from PA/TX/OK who have come here to have their surgery done.

My Mom (who is 83) also has one of their Dr's dealing with her eye issues. So I've been busy "shuttling" Loren and my Mom to/from the clinic.

At home I've put down rugs on the kitchen floor so he can have a reference point as to where he is... arranged the fridge for "his" stuff.. counter with his bread, rearranged clothes in the dresser drawers, etc. We "listen" to TV instead of watching it. I start a new job on Mon - so it doesn't leave alot of time to make adjustments to all this.

I worked with deaf/hard of hearing people for the last 2 years.. now working with someone who is short-term blind... it's been another learning experience. If you don't believe me... when you wake up in the morning - put something over your eyes for a day.

Whether you have diabetes or not... get your eyes checked.. and not at Walmart or Shopko - go to a REAL Optometrist. I plan on doing that after we get thru the Loren stuff.

Thanks very much to all of the well wishes/emails I've received. I've passed them onto Loren - and it's really really helped his spirits.

He hasn't gone out into the garage to sit on the his bike yet - but I know he has the "itch" He's looking forward to his trip to TX in the Spring - and if things progress as they are... should not be a problem.

Again - thanks for everything - your posts mean alot.

Laura Weeks

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Laura and Loren,
Prayers and best wishes for a fast and full recovery.
My wife has had laser surgery in her eyes 16 times.
It has worked every time so far.
They can do wonderful things these days
and they keep getting better all the time.

Mesquite Bob, cataract surgery is an out patient
(in and out the same day) thing these days for most.

DC

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement, DC. Laura, tell Loren we're holding him to his commitment to be in TX this spring. Quite a procedure and glad you have had experience in helping disabled people. Nice thing about Loren is that it won't last.

Best wishes,

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
478 Posts
Get well soon Loren.Hope to see you in the Dells this springs if we have another Paul Bunyan breakfast

John

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
WOW........

Just got done speaking with Loren on the phone this morning. I gotta give that guy credit for the positive attitude he has !!

He can't see squat at this time, but the doctors feel he has an excellent future of sight ahead of him.

I look forward to riding with him on the road again this summer.

Keep both he and Laura in your thoughts and prayers over this Holiday season.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
That's good news. I hope he continues to heal. Met Loren in Marble Falls in '05. A "riders, rider". No frills, just get on it and go.

I was told by my opthamologist, that one should not hope they never get cataracts, because we will all develop them if we LIVE LONG ENOUGH. He said as we get longer in the tooth, the eye stops shedding dead cells and this leads to cataracts. Don't know if that is accurate, but since the doc said it, its got to be true. Right?? :lol: :lol:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Loren's Eye Surgery Update 12/18/06

Well, after being temporarily blind since Thur - there is starting to be lots of improvement in the right eye. Today, he was able to see the time on the alarm clock in the bedroom .. he had to be about 2inches away, but was able to see it - he has some vision, at the top of his eye - which means the bubble is starting to dissipate. I called the Dr just to make sure that this was "normal" because it's supposed to be 2-3 weeks for the bubble in his right eye to dissipate... he was VERY happy to hear that it's already started *whew*

It's been very frustrating, and needless to say, very boring for him, but he's taking all this pretty well, I don't think I have. It's hard to see someone go from being OK in the morning on one day, to helpless the same day in the afternoon. And to go from being used to being on the computer 12+hrs a day, to not being able to use a computer at all... it's been very difficult.

I started a new job today, so we did things like arranged the frig with his fav's on one shelf, left his peanut butter on the counter, along with his bread (he likes chunky, I don't.. he eats low carb bread, I don't) things like that. Rugs on the kitchen floor to use as a guide- "stay on the rug and you won't run into anything" Things like that. Make up a plate of food, leave it in the fridge, he can nuke it for later. The biggest problem he has is that he "pulls to the left" alot. His right eye had been compensating for the lack of vision in his left eye, and now that the right eye can't see, he's veering to the left alot!

I tell ya, try using your remote with your eyes closed.. there are SOOOOOOO many small buttons on those things!!! Same with a cell phone.

Anyway - thanks so much for the posts, the emails, and the phone calls... it means alot and has really helped his spirits.. and mine.

Laura Weeks

ps - I made an eye appt for myself next week

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
That is great news to hear that he is doing better. At least you are able to help him around.

As far as pulling to the left, that is due to cupping. Tell him it is time for a new set of tires and problems will be solved. A little humor always helps.

Keep us posted with updates.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts